UWOL 48 - High and Low by Tim Veal Feedback thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 4th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UWOL 48 - High and Low by Tim Veal Feedback thread

This was fun. I don't get a chance to shoot much anymore so this at least got me outside again. All feedback is welcome. I don't get offended so feel free to be brutally honest. How else can we improve?
Tim Veal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 48 - High and Low by Tim Veal Feedback thread

Hi Tim, I loved the idea behind this. Very clever, and really fun with the slightly 80's VFX and transition style matching the music so well. I thought the macro footage was great and the double enhance at the end was a nice flourish. I'm impessed that you managed to get so close to the toad too!
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2018, 02:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Tim,

This was nice to watch! Really loved the crisp macro/ close up shots!
As Henry said, I'm impressed with how close you got and how crisp the images are. Especially the shot of the wasp.

I am missing a story in your film. Doesn't need to be voice over. It can be text, or even only the visuals combined with your music, can tell a story too.
Maybe some wide shots of the area, to establish the scene. Show us where you are, before you dive in and begin the macro shots of your subjects.

All in all, a nice film, and I like what you made.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2018, 03:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Tim, very interesting concept. You showed the rotting log from high and the used the grid to direct the viewer to a portion of the log where you were going to do the macro. Very well done. I am a big fan of macro and think you did an excellent job in the way you addressed the challenge. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you everyone for your comments. You know, sometimes we just get lucky and that toad did not want to move! It was very hot that day so maybe that was part of it. I'm glad you guys like the macro shots, I think the little sharpening I did in post and shorter clip time helped sell them as "crisp." I'm not crazy about the quality them but it was my first time trying. I was actually just using my old closeup attachment from the 35mm adapter days! I found it tends to bloom out the image and dof is very narrow. I thought Henry's macro shots were great though. I already looked up the Raynox lens he used :)

@Trond, I get your point on story. I'll work on it for next time, thanks.
Tim Veal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge