UWOL 50 Seasons confusions by Trond Saetre at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 4th, 2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 50 Seasons confusions by Trond Saetre

First of all, I must say a big thank you to the young theme makers, Maja and Irmelinn!
They really put a huge effort in coming up with the themes for challenge 50 and the upcoming challenge 51.
Not only that, but they also were very helpful in the creative brainstorming of an idea for my entry, including supervising the editing.

The last year, and also this winter season, weather and climate has been unusual in many ways.
So, is Mother Nature confused? A dry spring, a dry and warm summer, winter with unusual little snow...

Some of the aerial shots could have been more smooth, and more various shots would have improved the overall quality.
As for feedback: It is level 1 all the way. Tear it apart! It's the best way to improve.

Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: UWOL 50 Seasons confusions by Trond Saetre

I thought your drone work was most impressive. Thanks for a wonderful view of Norway during the time of year when I'm least likely to visit.

Actually, if given the chance, I would *love* to visit Norway at any time of the year! Well done Trond,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thank you, Chris!
Norway welcomes you at any time or season. :)
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Trond I have to agree with Chris and I think Norway would be nice anytime too. Thanks for sharing.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thank you, Gordon.
Glad you liked it.
Old March 6th, 2019, 10:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Trond,

Great drone work, you can really enhance films with them, especially establishing shots.
You seem to have mastered them well. I'm sure I would be a danger and liability If I was to be let loose with one.

An element of your entry is very close my heart, the effects of global warming. Last February we were in the grip of one of the coldest Feb's on record thanks to the "beast from the east" bringing us lots of snow. This year we experience the hottest Feb on record, as you say "natures so confused" so thanks for raising the issue. A great submission, thank you.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Mick, thank you for the comments. Glad you enjoyed it.
Yes, we have really got some noticeable changes in weather and climate, especially the last 20-25 years.
More wild storms, more heavy rain... Almost 300 days with rain (and/or snow) annually, compared to about 200 days when I was a kid. Scary, but exactly as predicted.
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Major Player

I loved watching this. Drone shots are incredibly appealing to me. The perspective is unlike anything we can get from the ground -- even if filming from a high viewpoint on a mountainside.

What drone do you use? I have a DJI Mavic Pro and have found that my best shots are almost always straight (forward/backward/sideways/up/down) shots with no turns. It's so hard to get a smooth turn and even the smallest movement can produce an unpleasant jarring effect.

I especially liked the shots that appear to have been made either early in the day or late. The long shadows produced by the trees on the snow as the drone moved across the landscape made for a spectacular scene.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Major Player

I loved watching this. Drone shots are incredibly appealing to me. The perspective is unlike anything we can get from the ground -- even if filming from a high viewpoint on a mountainside.

What drone do you use? I have a DJI Mavic Pro and have found that my best shots are almost always straight (forward/backward/sideways/up/down) shots with no turns. It's so hard to get a smooth turn and even the smallest movement can produce an unpleasant jarring effect.

I especially liked the shots that appear to have been made either early in the day or late. The long shadows produced by the trees on the snow as the drone moved across the landscape made for a spectacular scene.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Nice to see your films improving over the years, Trond.
I agree, the drone adds a level of shot that adds a tremendous value to landscape shots, but nevertheless, the message of your film was clear - interesting that most of us have similar comments/themes where we say, “ something isn’t right”.

Maybe a possibility for a future shared theme, if we can avoid the controversy around global warming, and just say , this is weird........, it hasn’t been like this for ages.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Murray View Post
What drone do you use? I have a DJI Mavic Pro
Thank you for the feedback, Phil! Glad you liked it.
I'm using the Mavic 2 zoom. A great improvement over my previous Phantom 1 and 3-advanced drones.
Adds a lot of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
Maybe a possibility for a future shared theme, if we can avoid the controversy around global warming, and just say , this is weird........, it hasn’t been like this for ages.
Theme suggestion is added. Might use it later, and hopefully all controversies are avoided.
Something is definitely changing here. Not sure what "normal" weather (or climate) is anymore. Interesting to see how much the kids are aware of this too, regardless of what is causing the changes.

Thank you for the feedback, Paul! Glad you liked it. I'm using aerial filming a lot more now than earlier.
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:12 AM   #12
Trustee

Very nice video. Again, another entry with sub-titles. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. The drone shots were great! I really have to try that, but there are just to many damn trees in and around Atlanta, Georgia. One thing, I couldn't quite understand the last comment made by the lady in red at the end.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:45 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Bob, thank you for the feedback!
I prefer narration, but for various reasons, ended up with text in this video. VO will be back again next round.

The girl was speaking Norwegian, and said "gøy på tur," which translates to "fun on a trip"
Old March 8th, 2019, 02:55 PM   #14
Trustee

Hi Trond.
Great drone recordings.
You show off our beautiful mountain home, and show how the winters have been in recent years.
Very varied weather conditions.
Has become accustomed to hearing your VO with charming accent from Bergen, but text is also good.
Thank you for sharing.
Old March 9th, 2019, 02:35 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Has become accustomed to hearing your VO with charming accent from Bergen, but text is also good.
VO will of course be back.
Thanks for the feedback.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge