DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 51 - Cille Et Let Ouiseaux - Guest Entry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/536796-uwol-51-cille-et-let-ouiseaux-guest-entry.html)

Catherine Russell June 1st, 2019 07:27 AM

UWOL 51 - Cille Et Let Ouiseaux - Guest Entry

Hi everyone:

What a joy it has been this past week to get behind the camera again after a long while! Thank you Trond, for allowing me to jump in at the last minute and crash the UWOL challenge as a guest.

When I saw what the theme was, Man Versus Nature, the first thing that jumps to mind is thinking that all the challengers will run off and create a mini-documentary on a notable climate change or environmental issue in their neighborhood. Not only a rather discouraging topic but a very difficult one to pull together in a short period of time.

Then this idea came to me that got me so excited, I just had to give it a try! I love this take on the theme and I sincerely hope that you all do too.

To film and produce in a manner of days, I absolutely needed help, and as always, the UWOL community didn't disappoint. I have been so honored by your bird clip donations, and I wish I could have used every clip that was given to me, but time didn't allow it. At least, all donors are represented and your expertise as wildlife filmmakers graced this video and made it what it is.

To give credit where credit is due, here is a detailed donor list with detail I could't put in the credits in the video:

Special thanks to my friend and teacher, Cille Lutsch as flutist.

Trond Saetre: opening bird audio

Video contributors:
Gordon Hoffman: Yellow-head blackbirds in the marsh
Ron Jackson: Blackbird, Froat and Lark Sparrow
Vishal Jadhav: Rainquail
Bob Safay: Rosset Spoonbills, White Ibis and Tom Turkey
Shutterstock, Wildlife World: hooting Tawny Owl

Besides these contributions and the full moon, in the spirit of UWOL I filmed the rest for this challenge.

Feedback welcome! This was a blast and I hope it makes you smile, at least a bit more than a mini-documentary on a way we as mankind are damaging our planet.

Cheers!

Cat

P.S. I'm looking forward to watching and commenting on your film, Phil, it looks fascinating!

Ronald Jackson June 1st, 2019 07:55 AM

Re: UWOL 51 - Cille Et Let Ouiseaux - Guest Entry

Excellent! And the flute!

Ron

Phil Murray June 1st, 2019 12:53 PM

Cat,

That was SO COOL to watch!

You're editing was brilliant. To be honest, I wasn't sure I'd like it until the first time you faded in -- I think that's you playing -- on a bird shot. My jaw literally dropped! It was so amazing to watch all the way through. So many times it looked as if the birds were actually interacting with your image.

Did you do any color grading? About 3/4 of the way through I starting thinking that most, if not all, of the shots could have been done by a single person with a single camera. There were some subtle differences mostly related to style, but I thought the color was remarkably similar.

Thank you so much for sharing your work and I hope you continue to share more in the future. This one piece was really inspirational and had me thinking about things I can perhaps incorporate in my own future works.

(I too was expecting a number of films based on climate change, pollution, etc.)

Catherine Russell June 1st, 2019 01:21 PM

Thanks Ron and Phil for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

And LOL Phil, I WISH that was me playing the flute! The flutist is Cille Lutsch, my flute instructor. I'm still at the stage where people run for cover when I attempt to play.

Phil I'm pleased you enjoyed this as much as I did making it. But really, a lot was just good fortune. I didn't color grade across the video. Just think, all those donated clips from around the world and they all seemed to blend fairly well together just as is.

And the seeming interaction between Cille and the birds had some to do with editing, but there was a lot good fortune there too. Have you ever had a video that you work it over and over and it never turns out quite right, and there is that once in a blue moon video that you throw it together and stand amazed at what it throws back at you? This was that kind of video.

Thanks for the watch.

Cat

Mick Jenner June 1st, 2019 01:50 PM

Beautiful work Cat, but of course that's what we have come to expect from your entries.

So good to see you back here on UWOL, this entry shows what we have been missing.

Mick

Catherine Russell June 1st, 2019 08:57 PM

Mick:

Thank you so much for both the incredibly kind words and the watch. I've missed my friends in the UWOL community. It's nice to be back this time.

All my best to you!

Cat

Trond Saetre June 2nd, 2019 08:00 AM

Welcome back to UWOL! Been way too long time.

As Mick said, we have gotten used to quality work from you, and you delivered!
The interaction between the music and the birds singing, were great. Cool idea!

Very nice to see many volunteered to share video clips with you, so this project could come through.
Thanks guys!

I'm expecting you to sign up for a future challenge soon. You have been missed!

Bob Safay June 2nd, 2019 09:12 AM

Cat, what a great idea. Now I see why you wanted the audio with the bird clips. I really liked the clip at about 2:35 when the blackbird turns and looks at the flutist. Very well done. When I watched this and heard the music I remembered seeing your flute on the music stand in your study. Please tell Cille that she did a magnificent job playing the flute. A really great entry. Bob

Dale Guthormsen June 9th, 2019 02:58 PM

Cat,

No less than I'd expect!!! I had planned to enter but after 5 years of setting my camera wouldn't work sooff to a repair center it went (canon wouldn't repair it). Its in hand and will be in 52, god willing!!!

I really liked the movement of flutist in front of the birds, sthe change of melody to match was really well done. My favorite is the turkey and the medow lark!

thanks for taking the time and sharing your awesome video skills!