DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   First-ever "Under Water, Over Land" Video Shoot-out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/80493-first-ever-under-water-over-land-video-shoot-out.html)

Meryem Ersoz November 27th, 2006 04:50 PM

First-ever "Under Water, Over Land" Video Shoot-out

Chris Hurd has green-lighted the first ever "Under Water, Over Land" video shoot-out. This is in no way intended to replace or compete with Dylan Couper's fun-fest, the DV Challenge. In fact, I still plan to sign myself up on a semi-regular basis to submit to Dylan's fiendish torture.

Instead, the "Under Water, Over Land" forum is a brand-new opportunity for you documentarians, planet Earth-lovers, tree-huggers, extreme sports enthusiasts, bird-watchers, sea-dwellers, and guys and girls who like to walk around with cameras shooting stuff in their neighborhoods, to participate in a different kind of challenge.

Each month, or thereabouts, we'll give an "Under Water, Over Land" topic (examples would include, f'rinstance, mammals, macro, landscape, water, recreation, birds, peaks and valleys, etc.) and you'll be expected to produce a 2-3 minute video on the topic. The point, of course, is to GET OUT THERE and to boldly take your camera where no camera has gone before.

We are at work attempting to offer some modest prize packages for the winning entry.

This is a new effort to bring something a little different to DVinfo, and this thread is intended to:

1) ascertain interest--does this sound like something you "Under Water, Over Land"-ians (and others) might want to take on?
2) listen to suggestions for how to run the show, it's wide open for now
3) find out if there is anyone out there who would like to help with judging...i think the DVC method of having participants judge is nice, but we need to be sure that we have participants before we can institute anything similar....
4) solicit suggestions for other "Under Water, Over Land"-styled topix...and also a groovy name...

Gabriel Yeager November 27th, 2006 05:18 PM

This sounds like a great idea Meryen! You have my promise to enter in it as much as I can! I am really excited about this... I sure hope that this all works out! You know me, I'll be out there with my little Elura 100 filming as much as I can! There is so many possibilities for this. You have next to an unlimited supply of things to base it around..

As for the name, I am not the best but I will try to throw some ideas out there. How about, Exotic Nature Challenge? Thats kinda got a ring to it.... Or maybe, Lands of Creatures: The DVINFO Challenge? I don't know, I am horrible at names. haha!

~Gabriel~

Chris Barcellos November 27th, 2006 05:32 PM

Just as long as it does not entail a trip to Africa, I'm in.... unless that is the prize....

As for title, how about "The Visual Challenge" or the "UWOL Challenge."

Per Johan Naesje November 27th, 2006 05:35 PM

I think this is a very good idea Meryem!

I like your suggestions of topic. Maybe once a month is a little bit to much, every second months will suit me better.

Thanks Maryem and Chris for this proposal.

Steve Siegel November 27th, 2006 06:43 PM

Great idea, Meryem. I agree with Per Johan, that once a month may be a bit too frequent. Please consider developing some posting guidelines, and explaining them in detail so everyone can download and watch everyone else's entries. Nothing is as frustrating on DV InfoNet as not being able to see someone's video because of file size or incompatibilities.

Steve Siegel
Miami, FL US

Jim Montgomery November 27th, 2006 08:00 PM

I'm in, just no mountains tho', living in Florida would make that tough.

How about "Lord of the Things?

Jim

Meryem Ersoz November 27th, 2006 09:00 PM

yes, i thought that you flatlanders might be vertically challenged by the "mountains" theme, that's why i tossed out "peaks and valleys" as an alternative....

good ideas, guys. i agree that once a month is maybe too taxing, and that dylan's model of leaving the masses begging to please please please torture us with another challenge is working out great!

this thread is to help us formulate ideas for how to make this work well and be fun, so keep 'em coming! definitely getting some posting guidelines is a very good idea....

Dale Guthormsen November 27th, 2006 09:55 PM

Meryem,

Great idea, I always liked the dv challange but I do not fit into that genra.

How "The ooutdoor challange" "The Natural challange" "DV Nature"

Sense we all live in different environments perhaps guys like us who live in the flatlands could judge those partici-pating in "mountain sceenes, etc."

I would have no problem of judging any that I personally can't compete in.

As qualifications: I do teach photography, graphics arts, modules on vidography and Art (emphesizing sculpture mind you)

One topic I would like to see "The Living skies"

Dale

Ken Diewert November 27th, 2006 11:40 PM

Hey Meryem,

I'm in... I like the idea of mixing the theme subjects up. To push us into places we maybe wouldn't go. (macro, timelapse etc.). I think the topics have to be general enough to allow all to compete; otherwise we may only get a few entrants. You could call one theme - SKY - and it could be night sky, timelapse clouds, sunsets/rises, moonshots. Or, WATER - could be underwater, waterfalls, rivers, rain, boats on water etc.

As far as delivery... there's always youtube. It doesn't get more more universally available than that.

I like the UWOL Challenge... sounds kinda like a southern 'y'all challenge'

Grant Sherman November 28th, 2006 12:26 AM

Great idea, count me in.

Brendan Marnell November 28th, 2006 04:13 AM

Good idea. I need to practice editing as well as shooting. It really is a delight and inspiration to view Per Johan's musk-ox and Don's bird clips not only because they allow us observe nature that we never saw before but their clips are so cleverly edited that they are easy to view and enjoy ... I gasp every time I see Musk-ox relaxing and settling down to enjoy the pleasures and comfort of -20 centigrade + windchill of -15c. It's how Per Johan captures and illustrates this enjoyment as a social event or whatever that I'd like to be able to do. A competition would help me to learn, Meryem. Win-win-win.

Bob Thompson November 28th, 2006 07:35 AM

Great idea Meryem, I will be in whenever I can.
Bob

Gordon Hoffman November 28th, 2006 08:52 AM

Meryem
This does sound interesting. So time permitting I'm in. Living on the east side of the Rockies there is alot of subjects to video.

Gordon

Joey Atilano November 28th, 2006 09:55 AM

When is the 1st one ?

Meryem Ersoz November 28th, 2006 10:27 AM

oooo, timelapse! nice addition!

UWOL isn't bad either. i've always been fond of chris' naming of this forum because it's very inclusive and pretty effectively covers the planet....

i'm glad to see there's some interest and some contenders out there.

regarding the date--i'm going to let this thread run for about a week, maybe ten days, to be sure it gets exposure to interested parties.

this gives us (UWOL forum aficionados) about a week to kick around ideas and formulate with the collective brain. i'll gather it together and put up a sign-up thread for a formal head count of participants. i'll post more formal rules n regs at that point as well.

the DV Challenge usually runs for a week. for this one, i'm thinking more like a 3-week window, because that would give participants a chance to travel with their cameras over two weekends. i know that, for me, even to get my camera up a single big peak means allocating at least one weekend day just for that one panoramic shot from the summit. we need to make a little extra room for day travel.

or do you think that's too much time?

for something like this, it may even be advantageous to run it over the holiday break, when many of us get new gear and want an excuse to test-drive it....

we can certainly put it together before the holiday week, or we can kick it off for the new year.

thoughts? opinions?

if anyone wants to serve as judge and jury with me, shoot me an e-mail....

Gabriel Yeager November 28th, 2006 12:04 PM

I think that either way will work fine with me... Possibly after the holiday might work better due to like what you said. More gear to learn how to use...

As for the time. I think that 3 weeks is good. Esp, if we only do one "about" every other month. It might be a little long, but I think it would do nicely.

~Gabriel

Chris Barcellos November 28th, 2006 12:13 PM

"for something like this, it may even be advantageous to run it over the holiday break, when many of us get new gear and want an excuse to test-drive it....

we can certainly put it together before the holiday week, or we can kick it off for the new year.

thoughts? opinions?

if anyone wants to serve as judge and jury with me, shoot me an e-mail...."

Judging: One guy to talk to about judging, is Steven Dempsey, a DVinfo.net member, at www.pinelakefilms.com His stuff is tremendous, and in my eyes, his work gives us something for the rest of us to shoot for. I don't know him, but if someone here does, maybe he could be persuaded...

Scheduling: As far as time, I'd like to see a monthly contest, with announcement lets say the first Monday of the month, with the film to be posted by fourth Monday of Monday of the month. That way, everyone could be planning to work on entries. That is one of the problems with the DVChallenge, we never know when it is going to happen.....

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2006 12:28 PM

Meryen,

Jim beat me to my first thought, no peaks and valleys here Flatorida! :) Also, there may be other places that could suffer the same type of short commings for other subjects. So I would like to see the subjects as broad as possible.

I personally love to see a person or panel to judge and not the participants. I think it is more objective.

But, I'm in!

Mike

Meryem Ersoz November 28th, 2006 12:51 PM

but mike, with three weeks that gives you a chance to drag your camera on that dream trip to indonesia. or peru. or cleveland.

or the humorous approach of taking your camera to the highest point in florida. wherever that is....

or underwater. there's some valleys to be explored.

you could shoot a macro view of unexplored "peaks and valleys" of plant life...

gotta be creative with some of these...

this is adventure video folks! and there's adventure in my own back yard when a camera is involved....

but then again, i must also expect a certain amount of whining and discontent on the part of participants! that is part of the fun as well! dylan is very good at laughing in the face of the malcontents!

soliciting one of our most talented members as a judge is a good idea. i'd prefer if someone enthusiastically jumped in, so i'll wait a bit before i start pleading with individuals....

it may be nice to be on a regular schedule, as chris suggests, but there is also something to be said for having the participants begging and pleading for the contest. i think therapy type people call that "variable schedule reinforcement." it's why we like to play slot machines...keeps the juices flowing....

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
or the humorous approach of taking your camera to the highest point in florida. wherever that is....

That would be the landfills! :)

Mike

Dale Guthormsen November 28th, 2006 10:15 PM

Meryem,

Every environment has some majic moments throughout the year. A genral type topic like that would be all inclusive to everyone.

The UWOL Competition is (kind of reminds me of being awol) just dandy.

Meryem Ersoz November 28th, 2006 10:44 PM

good point, dale. we could add also add a "magic hour" topic to our list of prompts--that would produce some beautiful, diverse stuff....

except now we'll have to hear the boos from our friends in the arctic circle who don't have a sunrise or sunset to shoot...it's always something, isn't it??....

one other thought i have regarding judging, based on chris' suggestion of asking steven dempsey to judge: we could also invite a guest judge for each competition. wouldn't it be cool to have our emmy award winning UWOL member jacques mesereau judge one, steven dempsey judge one. etc., etc. we could have a different guest celebrity for each challenge--spread it around a bit. there's so much talent on these boards surely we could enlist some to play a role in our modest contest....

keep those ideas rolling in....i'm getting a good list!

Grant Sherman November 29th, 2006 03:12 AM

Hi Meryem

How about a 30 second Public Service Announcement about a local environmental issue? If they're good enough they might be broadcast by our local tv stations.

Grant

Meryem Ersoz November 29th, 2006 08:51 AM

that's a most excellent suggestion, grant. we could also consider a "non-profit" prompt, where the shooter accosts their local charity/non-profit of choice (wildlife rescue, recycler, conservationist, etc.) and does a 2-minute web video that they can then donate to the charity. the shooter gets great footage and a portfolio piece/resume credit. the charity gets a freebie. the planet gets free pub. everyone wins. nice!

Mat Thompson November 29th, 2006 10:45 AM

This is a great idea to promote people to try different things in there film making. You can't please everyone with something like this, and I agree very much in taking a topic and making the most of it 'whatever' your personal living circumstance.

Gets that creativity flowing!! .....so come on announce a subject and lets get shooting:)

Nick Ambrose November 29th, 2006 02:24 PM

I would definitely be interested. I shoot 99% underwater right now.

Meryem Ersoz November 29th, 2006 02:56 PM

...then this would be a good chance to dry you off and try something new. welcome aboard, nick.

the one thing i do not want to do is run this contest while DVC7 is going on (especially because i want to sign up for DVC7, if it falls in the post-Christmas time slot...). people should be able to do both...i'll defer to dylan's scheduling...

one charitable cause that i contribute regularly to here in boulder runs an annual film festival that focuses on these types of films. i may look into getting a slot for our winners...so one other pay-off may potentially be a film festival credit. that would be a nice motivator....

Mike Teutsch November 29th, 2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
so one other pay-off may potentially be a film festival credit. that would be a nice motivator....

So how would that work?

Mike

Meryem Ersoz November 29th, 2006 03:03 PM

i have no idea, mike. i'm brainstorming, dammit!

actually, i was thinking it would be the type of thing where we would gather a year's worth of winners into a package of shorts and see if they would screen it at their festival...for interested winners, of course. you are your own copyright holder....

Bob Safay November 29th, 2006 03:37 PM

A 30 sec. PSA, I like this plan. It could also show the ugly such as environmental degragation. I also agree that we need to push it back till after the holidays. Any you cut it, COUNT ME IN. Bob

Mike Teutsch November 29th, 2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay
A 30 sec. PSA, I like this plan. It could also show the ugly such as environmental degragation. I also agree that we need to push it back till after the holidays. Any you cut it, COUNT ME IN. Bob

Do not like this idea at all! Let's keep it basic, filmmaking, no politics, environmental activism or anything of the kind.

Mike

Grant Sherman November 29th, 2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Do not like this idea at all! Let's keep it basic, filmmaking, no politics, environmental activism or anything of the kind.

Mike

PSA's don't have to political. I suggested it as another market for our work.

Mike Teutsch November 29th, 2006 04:28 PM

How about we just stick to artistic filmmaking.

:)

Grant Sherman November 29th, 2006 04:44 PM

Art without politics? Battleship Potemkin? :)

Seriously, some of us want to be wildlife film-makers and for some of us our art is mixed with charitable, moral, ethical, or political considerations. One vaguely political topic a year might keep a reasonable balance.

Environmental PSA's without political overtones could include:

* Avoiding alligators in certain places at night or at certain times of year :)

* Littering in nature reserves

* Feeding wild animals

* Avoiding forest fires

Brendan Marnell November 29th, 2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Sherman
Art without politics? Battleship Potemkin? :)

Seriously, some of us want to be wildlife film-makers and for some of us our art is mixed with charitable, moral, ethical, or political considerations. One vaguely political topic a year might keep a reasonable balance.

Environmental PSA's without political overtones could include:

* Avoiding alligators in certain places at night or at certain times of year :)

* Littering in nature reserves

* Feeding wild animals

* Avoiding forest fires

I think Grant is talking about wildlife habitat. Many of us are increasingly interfering with wildlife habitat and messing up our wildlife. This is what I think the ethics of wildlife shooting should be addressing, at all levels, whether the problems are caused by scatty tourism or daredevil heroics or simply the blinkered attitude of mankind to our effects on the planet. I must welcome video clips that will heighten my awareness of how to protect wildlife habitat or help me to feel responsible for it in my own little way. The alternative is to see myself as just another paid-up member of the paparazzi invading privacy first and asking questions afterwards.

Grant Sherman November 30th, 2006 02:48 AM

We've addressed the ethics of wildlife shooting in another thread. What I was thinking of could include films like Ken Diewert's "Echo Heights" documentary.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80138

To convey a similar message in 30 seconds rather than 9 minutes could push our editing and story telling abilities (as well as our camera work)

The story I would like to do concerns people feeding Herring Gulls in tourist towns. It turns these beautiful, intelligent, birds into beggars and thieves. There are cases of them attacking people for chips or ice-creams. And it has led to calls for culls of these gulls.

This story fits into the PSA format and I'm sure there are other issues that also fit into this format. Some of them, like Ken's, concern local politics.

Some films convey a political or environmental message. We don't have to agree with a message, but we can appreciate the craft that conveys the message.

Meryem Ersoz November 30th, 2006 09:51 AM

whoa, fellas. no thread-jacking! chris hurd's policy is to forego political debates and stick to production issues. i agree. those discussions never go anywhere in web world. everyone is entitled to their views, but those discussions have a tendency to devolve.

*hold hands, kumbay-ah (everyone sing!), release hands*

that's better. i think grant's idea is a good one. there is nothing inherently political about a PSA. they can take many forms and hold many viewpoints. and i think the challenge of shooting with an eye for broadcast and the lessons to be learned from trying to do so, probably for the first time for most participants, trumps the fears of touting political viewpoints.

we have to be careful about how we judge each others' politcal viewpoints, not about having them--that's a given.

we can talk about the PSA idea when it comes up for real--i think it is worth debating (and it's why i suggested the "non-profit" alternative, because it's more about providing a service and less weighted by the politics thingie...). for now, it's just one idea among many, many interesting approaches.

so, back to the topics at hand:

1) who's interested
2) how should we judge
3) help me with more brainstorming of topics
4) i forget, what was this one??

Meryem Ersoz November 30th, 2006 09:56 AM

oh right....

4) we need a groovy name

Grant Sherman November 30th, 2006 10:48 AM

"Kumbay-ah" ;-)

(3) Could the winner of the first contest decide the theme for the next contest?

Meryem Ersoz November 30th, 2006 10:57 AM

ooo, grant, you're a wiley one!

no. that will be my one tyrannical, despotical, hegemonic-al, pleasure in generating this thing....

suggestions are always welcome, however....