Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Give me a break

This is copied direct from my local weather....HELP...Just look at the Visability. May the force be with me!!!!!

Fog Depositing Ice
Temperature
-25°C
Pressure/ Tendency
100.8 kPa↑
Visibility
0.4 km
Humidity
71 %
Dewpoint
-28°C
Wind
NNW 5 km/h
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay
Temperature
-25°C
Visibility
0.4 km
Brian, my biggest sympathy for you!
Last night at 00.30 I managed to get a decent shoot of the moon. Looks like I have to stay up at night to get something to shoot here right now!

Picture is screen-capture from the XLH1 with a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 lense, 1/50, aperture 10
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #1-moon2.jpg  
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Major Player

Per

These images are so impressive my God man the air must be clear!!!!

I can only hope that this ice fog will lift and allow me the opportunity to get the shots I need for the challenge. If all else fails I'll set up the camera pointing at a second story window of my house and I'll wave to the camera for three minutes LOL....now that my friend is wild life.

Per I'm not sure if I sent you this address before so just incase not I'll give it again.

http://www.nunavutmuskox.ca/

Brian
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay
These images are so impressive my God man the air must be clear!!!!
Yep... Very nice. I haven't had a clear view of the moon in days. Although yesterday morning at about 6:30AM here would have been nice to be outside with the camera. A Russian rocket entered the atmosphere and broke apart over Colorado and Wyoming and gave a pretty light show for about a minute. Too bad NORAD and the government said nothing about the event until after it happened. Grrr.... My neighbor saw it and tried to reach for his camera, but it was over before he got very far. Said it first looked like a meteor shower, then it became obvious it was something else like a satellite burning up or something. Saw some crappy pictures posted on the local news sites. Oh well...

It's still snowing here...
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Not snowing (or 25 below) here, but waaaay to windy for any good diving right now. So I've been forced to do some topside shooting instead (ulp)

I guess that's at least one "good" thing that came out of signing up -- getting me out of my so-called comfort zone filming underwater :)

(although so far most of my footage is of various kinds of tree blowing in the wind ... all the birds seem to have been scared off)
Nick Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #21
Major Player

Brian
This is the forcast for my area. For the last month this has been fairly common. It makes it a challenge with a long lens. But I always think things could be worst.

Wind warning in effect.
Tonight
Cloudy. Wind west 70 km/h gusting to 90 diminishing to 50 gusting to 80 this evening. Temperature steady near minus 1.
Saturday
Cloudy with sunny periods. Clearing late in the day. Wind west 60 km/h gusting to 80 diminishing to 40 gusting to 60 late in the morning. High plus 1.
Saturday night
Clear in the evening then cloudy periods with 30 percent chance of flurries late in the evening and overnight. Wind west 40 km/h. Low minus 5.

Per
I agree with Brian that you must have some clean air. Your moon shots are impressive.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #22
Major Player

Gordon

That's down right nasty weather for any lens but damn its real nasty for long shots, if you need to walk away from your tripod you best have sand bags with you LOL.

For a change my problem isn't the wind but believe it of not its the darn fog, a strange thing happened the temperature took a sudden jump and right now we have freezing rain. As Per suggested in an earlier post Mother Earth is Warning us, I totally agree. This time of year the ice on Hudson Bay should be six to eight feet thick but it's only three. If this keeps up the spring break up will come much too early could be bad for the King of the Ice and the other ice walkers.

Nick drop by and you can do some below the ice diving...just typing that and I got a chill

I reviewed my footage from the last couple of days....Crap describes it best.

Brian
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #23
Major Player

Seattle has been a constant heavy rain for days now. Supposed to get an inch tonight and more through the weekend. I haven't been able to shoot anything. Doesn't look like much chance of a break anytime soon. I wonder if 'The Living Dead Skies' is acceptable ;)

Those moon shots warm the heart of this old moon child. Very nice.
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #24
Major Player

Frame Grab

I finally found a few seconds worth keeping....Meryem....was that a maximum of three seconds or was that minutes.

Please say seconds LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #1-bird3.jpg  
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #25
Trustee

Rain, rain, rain. Changed my idea so many times I forgot what I was shooting, nothing in the sky but white clouds and rain. Of course there was a meteor shower in Denver and a locust swarm in Mexico, but in Atlanta...rain. Get ready to see a LOT of rain shots. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #26
Major Player

Brian
Freezing rain and fog! Watch your step. :-)

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #27
Trustee

Well I've had 2 duff trips with a 'no show' by the spectacle I'm looking for.....so I've become a Researcher and found 2 places.

The best is a 400 Mile round trip :(

The other isn't going to be as spectacular but as times running out....I'm going to take a punt at it tomorrow night :)

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY....COME BACK ANOTHER DAY (Preferably after the 14th;)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman
Brian
Freezing rain and fog! Watch your step. :-)

Gordon Hoffman
We call that a 'Frog' around here...
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Well, my "plan" was to get some nice U/W footage which currently is not happening (partly because all my dive buddies seem to have gone snowboarding)

so -- as per plan B -- I went out and waved the camera around topside today. I think I'm gonna have to retrofit some kind of "plan" around what footage I managed to get.

Hopefully diving is on for next weekend and I can make some kind of recovery. If not .. well, I dont think my entry will be too impressive.

-- And I definitely now realize that shooting topside is harder than I had thought (oh and I need to buy a tripod too :)
Nick Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay
Rain, rain, rain. Changed my idea so many times I forgot what I was shooting, nothing in the sky but white clouds and rain. Of course there was a meteor shower in Denver and a locust swarm in Mexico, but in Atlanta...rain. Get ready to see a LOT of rain shots. Bob
The Meteor shower in denver was invisible through the snow. :-P It was sunny today although still cold. A nice day with clear skies though, maybe I'll try to shoot something tonight, but I've been stuck inside all day finishing up rendering on an animation project. All I've been able to do is chat on the RED forum and devize plans B and C for this contest. Oh well...
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge