Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay
Gordon

That's down right nasty weather for any lens but damn its real nasty for long shots, if you need to walk away from your tripod you best have sand bags with you LOL.

For a change my problem isn't the wind but believe it of not its the darn fog, a strange thing happened the temperature took a sudden jump and right now we have freezing rain. As Per suggested in an earlier post Mother Earth is Warning us, I totally agree. This time of year the ice on Hudson Bay should be six to eight feet thick but it's only three. If this keeps up the spring break up will come much too early could be bad for the King of the Ice and the other ice walkers.

Nick drop by and you can do some below the ice diving...just typing that and I got a chill

I reviewed my footage from the last couple of days....Crap describes it best.

Brian
I actually have a dive trip to BC planned in March -- we are gonna dive the chaudierre. Hopefully no ice picks needed!

I have about 75 mins of footage and no bloody idea what to do with any of it!
Nick Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #32
Trustee

about the weather

Well, over here on latutude 62*N, wich goes, I think, right in the middle of Hudson Bay, too. The snow has yet to come this winter and the rain has been pouring doen for months now. This is no good for the Norwegian reputation. An old saying: Every Norwegian is born with ski on theyr feet.
Well, for me it's not only the wind, but the wind together with that "wet thing". My camera doesn't like that kind of combination very much :-( either do I. My wifes gardenflowers is blooming theese days, wich they shouldn't do until march/april. I don't like theese weather conditions at all, but we have to keep up the good fate in Mother earth. After all this is called a challenge and no one does it better than she does. We just have to catch it on tape guys :-)

I shot this november/december 2006 with my Panasonic DVX100 and the weather hasn't changed much since than: Storm is coming
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #33
Wrangler

brian, one of the distinctive things about this competition is that three good seconds could actually be a winner...because we all know how hard we work for those three seconds. three seconds can be a few minutes, a full day's hike, a week of sitting and waiting...or three weeks of waiting until that happy moment when camera, operator, and planet collide in some sort of miraculous moment that makes it to tape.

three seconds may have the "wow" factor that three minutes may not. and the "wow" factor is the essence of why we do what we do....

one of the best things about shooting nature and outdoor video is, that even if the video blows in the end--our camera is shaky, or the long lens is atmospherically challenged, or the hawk is out of focus, the experience is still our own forever....the planet revealed itself to us in some new transformative way, we get to see something which is familiar in a way that we never saw it before, eyeball to eyeball with the mystery....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
brian, one of the distinctive things about this competition is that three good seconds could actually be a winner...because we all know how hard we work for those three seconds. three seconds can be a few minutes, a full day's hike, a week of sitting and waiting...or three weeks of waiting until that happy moment when camera, operator, and planet collide in some sort of miraculous moment that makes it to tape.

three seconds may have the "wow" factor that three minutes may not. and the "wow" factor is the essence of why we do what we do....

one of the best things about shooting nature and outdoor video is, that even if the video blows in the end--our camera is shaky, or the long lens is atmospherically challenged, or the hawk is out of focus, the experience is still our own forever....the planet revealed itself to us in some new transformative way, we get to see something which is familiar in a way that we never saw it before, eyeball to eyeball with the mystery....
Yes, well said Meryem... I guess that is what separates this group from the most all of the others at dvinfo. I can think of many times when I've but in hours to return mere seconds of something that I thought was special.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #35
Major Player

Well, I did it. I went out and shot some stuff. Unfortunately. Its not very sky like. most of its ducks. And snow. I think I need to get out tomorrow and start shooting more stuff. But hey, its a start.

The weather was the strangest thing today. One hour, I am out filming ducks in the sun (yes, we got sunlight), the next, its a dang blizzard! It was nice to be able to try and get some snow footage however. Something I have never tried before.

I hope ya'll are having good luck/blast.
~Gabriel
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #36
Trustee

Well, I got a break in the weather. Actually had blue skies and some thin cloud wisps for the main location I had picked out. Two days later I made it to the location picked out for my intro but with misgivings; overcast with little hope of a patch or two of blue, but even with that I got 'er done.

Uploaded yesterday (I think, I've lost track of time...We finally got some of that cold from the fringes of that winter storm that hammered Oklahoma and Missouri).
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #37
Major Player

I still have yet to shoot a single thing.... :-(

But that's what I'm doing tomorrow morning and much of the day wednesday and thursday if needed. It seems I'm either busy doing real work and can't go outside or it's snowing sideways. Weather was great today, just cold, but couldn't make it out. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny as well so I'm hoping for the best.

Doing an UWOL project with a theme like this, at this time of year, and starting out with only 6 days remaining is well, uh, foolish. :D
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #38
Wrangler

I think I just won UWOL Challenge #1!

okay, so i'm not actually eligible to win the UWOL Challenge, but....

i had a bit of insomnia which summoned me out of the warm bed at 5 am. perfect, because i have managed to piece together exactly 3 shots so far for my non-eligible entry.

so i thought i might trudge around in the single-digit arctic cold and see if i could shoot a sunrise, even though the sunrise rarely looks like much from here. i need some footage, real bad!

i didn't get a thing. all i had to shoot was my HV10, which is a terrible low-light performer. everything looked noisy and grainy. all i had was the stock battery, which lasts about ten seconds, so by the time, the light was good, i was out of juice.

BUT BUT BUT!

the moon was about as beautiful as I have ever seen it. my 91 year-old shooting partner's crippling arthritis and various other health issues seemed to be on a "good" cycle, resulting in much tail-wagging and romping and general joie de vivre. we hiked up the closest trail to my house in the dark and had the whole world at our feet and the mountain to ourselves. not a scrap of useable footage resulted, but we had a priceless moment of happiness and serenity. like old times....

(homage to my shooting partner is online at http://ia300132.us.archive.org/1/ite...WideScreen.mov)

sharing a happy moment with V-dog and a camera in the mountains...priceless!
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
(homage to my shooting partner is online at http://ia300132.us.archive.org/1/ite...WideScreen.mov)

sharing a happy moment with V-dog and a camera in the mountains...priceless!
For some reason I can't see anything but the first few seconds of this. It freezes at the exact same point (hand reaching down past basket of flowers, dialog: "Did you remember...") everytime.

I've tried several times over the last two days.

You might resave/repost it just in case there's a "glitch" in the file.

I appreciate dogs...

Bruce
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #40
Major Player

I noticed this too Bruce! I tried to watch it like, five minutes after you posted it. But it would freeze at the same point. So I was waiting to make sure it was not just my computer. Sorry Meryem!

I would like to see it.
~Gabriel
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #41
Major Player

Double posting??? (sorry)

Sorry if I am cross posting/double posting!

So heres my little tale of wonder and woe!

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to get my video in. I have the footage, I imported the footage, but now, when I export, it turns it into 4:3 and the footage is 16:9. And, to make things worse, I cant put credits on the video with Premiere Pro. I can't transfer it to another editing program because I cant export the video to a format the other editing programs let you use without making the video stretch to 4:3! ahhh!!!

So yes, there is not my entry for the UWOL Challenge #1.

I hope everyone else is doing good, and one lucky person who deserves those prizes will get it.

~Gabriel
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #42
Wrangler

new working link to my dog vid....i tested this one personally....

http://ia300131.us.archive.org/2/ite...WideScreen.mov

*schoolmarm mode on*

gabriel, you have a whole weekend to work out your aspect ratios...get on it, young man! do you think a potential employer is going to roll over for "i can't...." on a little thing like that?? good work ethics start now.

*schoolmarm mode off*

plus, if anyone could make good use of a 560B monopod, it's you....perfect for your camera...
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
new working link to my dog vid....i tested this one personally....

http://ia300131.us.archive.org/2/ite...WideScreen.mov

*schoolmarm mode on*

gabriel, you have a whole weekend to work out your aspect ratios...get on it, young man! do you think a potential employer is going to roll over for "i can't...." on a little thing like that?? good work ethics start now.

*schoolmarm mode off*

plus, if anyone could make good use of a 560B monopod, it's you....perfect for your camera...
haha! That was awesome! Very nice editing, beautiful scenery, cool dog, funny plot = great movie! I have no competition for that! lol... Mines just Ducks and snow, with some AWESOME music that Kenneth Yeager made for it! I had better plans for it, but it did not turn out with the footage I have. So maybe next time!

Thanks Meryem, I think that was the extra little kick I needed to get this thing finished!

Thats true, that monopod would work nice with my little Elura 100. :) Not that I stand much of a chance on wining! :P

I'll keep trying!
~Gabriel
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Yea, Gabriel

You gotta get something in so you will be on the charter list of contributing members. One of the first, ever!

I'm a fifty year old using Adobe 5.1 LE that came on my Sony Vaio that's so old I can't even remember when I bought it! I'm still gonna search the help file and try to learn how to do the credits. Heck, I've done quite a bit of wildlife videoing, but I've never strung two clips together for anything in my life. If you can't figure out how to do the credits with the NLE, just stand in front of the camera and hold up a sign!

I am anxious to see what you got with that new camera!

Rick Phillips
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I know I'm going to get into an accident one of these days. Ever since this challege started, I find myself looking up in the sky at birds when I'm supposed to be paying attention and driving. Everyone, get out of my way !!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge