Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM   #61
Major Player

Thanks guys! I got the video uploaded this evening. Everything worked out great (as far as upload is concerned). My video is about 47 MB. pushing the limits, I know. But anything less would have made it look bad.

I am going to take Chris's idea and post what I have learned from this. So here it is:

1. Focusing on a 2.7 inch LCD screen at max zoom is near impossible.

2. Birds like to do all the action when you are setting up...

3. Tracking birds using a tripod you have never used before is insanely difficult!

4. A 20x zoom lens is not enough to get a good shot on birds.

5. Take time to get the exposer right.

6. READ THE HELP GUIDE FOR YOUR EDITING SOFTWARE!

7. I do not like editing all the much, but I will live.

8. Bring gloves in the winter!

and finally,
9. The UWOL Challenge is a great experience!

Thank you everyone!
~Gabriel
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #62
Major Player

Well, I didn't get my film in to the contest. However, I DID finish filming it. After checking the other entries, mine perhaps doesn't "fit" though. I mean, it technically fits the theme but not in the same way as the other UWOL filmmakers did - more of a DVC filmmaker style i guess.

Anyhow, the reason I didn't get it into the contest is that I have a rather complex transition to place (without it, the film is a different film) AND, min finished film was 6 minutes! I've looked over and over it, and I can't get it down to 3 minutes.

I'm planning to finish the efects on the film this week though and post a link in "show your work" forum.

Question for anyone who reads this: I was out filming and the last hour of filming it was about 20 degrees F, ranged 40-20 all day. Now most of the footage is fine but I notice in some footage there is a noticable light/dark blinking thing. Thought maybe from the the cold tape/cam. Did anyone else have problems from filming outside in the cold?
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #63
Trustee

I was shooting in the low teens with no problems. However, I did notice that when I first started shooting and the camera body was still warm from the car ride, there were those heat ripples on the footage until the camera body cooled down.

I need to start throwing the camera in the back of my truck to start reaching the outside temps before I pull it out and shoot.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #64
Major Player

Hello Lisa:

Believe me I know something about filming in cold weather. I'd lean more towards humidity than the temperature or as Kevin has suggested you could be dealing with temperature differential between the various components i.e camera and tape.

I always allow the camera to sit on the tripod for a few minutes to let everything cool to the same number before I begin to film.

I hope the issue is as simple as that....good luck.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner
Question for anyone who reads this: I was out filming and the last hour of filming it was about 20 degrees F, ranged 40-20 all day. Now most of the footage is fine but I notice in some footage there is a noticable light/dark blinking thing. Thought maybe from the the cold tape/cam. Did anyone else have problems from filming outside in the cold?
Second what Brian says. Another thing, you say that it blinking light/dark. Do you use any form of auto exposure, in that case going from dark to light could cause the auto exposure to cause the blink?
Or if you see pixler that a typical dropout on the tape. I experienced this from time to time but the in temperatures well below 0 F.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge