UWOL #1 "From the Sea to the Peak" by Per Johan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #1 "From the Sea to the Peak" by Per Johan

As a citizen of Norway living high up in the north on our planet, filming the skies this time of year can be a real challenge!
My real concern was the change in climate we experience this winter. No real winter with clear and frosty weather but very much rain and thick black clouds. Even high up in the mountains where it should be much snow and temperature well below -20 degrees Celsius, the weather has been abnormal with high temperatures above 0 degrees in fact!

I have also started to use new equipment. Canon XLH1 HDV camcorder was picked up just before Christmas. Albeit that I'm used to Canon XL2, there are much more bells and whistles with the XLH1, so in fact there have been TWO real challenges to overcome to participate in this challenge!

My contribution show some of the landscape that I like best where I live. The sea where you can watch, smell and listen to the ocean and some gulls.
The peaks high up in the mountain where you can be alone far away from other humans. Just you and a huge peacefully landscape as long as your eyes reach. The clouds which constantly change their patterns are also amazing to watch.
Hopefully I have been able to accomplish and translate this into a short film like this?
Link to the file: From the Sea to the Peak

I have also provided a larger file at my website for you to view, which show better details :
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/UWO...a2Peak2_lg.mov 68MB (Please download before viewing!)

Technical data:
Camcorder - Canon XLH1 with 20x HD lens
Tripod - Miller Arrow HD
Sound - Sennheiser ME-67

Edited on:
Avid Liquid 7.1
Squeezed for web:
Sorenson Squeeze Suite 4.5

I have used Lauri Kettunens preset NOMAGENT, white balance set to Outdoor. Gain -3. Most of the footage is taken with a polarizer filter and the the footage of direct sunlight with ND set to 1/32 (Beware that filming into the sun can damage your ccd-chip without proper precautions!).
Also use a raincover to protect your camcorder when filming near the sea. Even in sunny days small saltparticles from the sea drifting in the air and will if exposed long enough damage your electronics and lenses!
The shutter speed varies from 1/50 to 1/210. I found that shooting at a shutter speed at 1/120 gives you a much more pleasent picture without so much blur if you plan to do a slow motion. Look at the Gulls in the film.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; January 23rd, 2007 at 10:03 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Wrangler

you guys get up awfully early! per, also add a direct link to your video from the UWOL website in your feedback thread. it will help your viewers...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

great Job

Per,

Thanks for sharing some of your method!! I really loved the slow motion of the gulls!! I have you in my personal top four short list. Great job, and your work is always an inspiration!!

We too have been plagued with balmy temperatures, hardly any snow, mild winds most of the time. If I had wanted it nice it would have been rotten for sure. It is going to be +8 celsius today, hard to believe.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

very beautiful work

You have my greatest admiration, Per. Just stunning scenery that just gives you the feeling that you are standing right there with the winds howling around you! Definitely a top contender. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Wonderful

Hello Per:

Absolutely wonderful, three minutes just wasn't long enough....I wanted more. When it came to the scene of the snow blowing over the ridge I ran to my backyard to see if your were out there thought maybe you could use a hot chocolate LOL.

Enjoyed every second just loved the use of the slow motion.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for a beautiful video. Amazing scenery, and the slow motion details were really magical. With the sights and sounds, you really feel you are there!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Masterpiece

A masterpiece of work Per Johan.
Looking forward to meet you in february, so I can learn a few trick or two :-)
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Excellent!

Wow Per, you truly are a big inspiration for me. This video was so beautiful!
The music was nice, and the gulls are amazing. it looked like I was looking out a window it was so clear! Very impressive...
And the sun! I did never knew it was possible to get such a great shot of it!
I have got to say, with the footage I just saw, I think we took all of your cold! lol.

Keep up the great work, you are a big inspiration!
~Gabriel
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Trustee

Per, that was one of the best. I take it you like the H1!!!! I really like the birds in slow motion. I need to start doing some of that. Wasn't this challenge fun. All I could think about for 20 days and nights was "that damn sky"!!!!!
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #10
Trustee

Nothing else to say but incredible from the first shot to the the last!
Fantastic work!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Another beautiful job, Per. I alway thought of Norway as fjords with conifers coming down to the shore. Didn't realize you had rocky beaches too. The snow blowing on the mountain is breathtaking. Your moon introduction is very effective. Good touch.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Norway is a stunningly beautiful place and you capture it well. I downloaded the larger file and it really was worth it. Top notch.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Very well done, Per Johan! I am impressed.

The moon intro is awesome! Nice to see how close you can get with your long lenses.

Trond
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #14
Major Player

Per all I can say is well done as usual. I like how clean your slomo looks with the XLH1.
Take care.
Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Oh man.....what can I say. I wish I had viewed this one first I could have stopped there! From start to finish a truely amazing film. I can only hope that you will post more details of how you accomplish those amazing pictures.

Thank you!

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge