DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #1 "Passing Time" - Darryl Ahye (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/84599-uwol-1-passing-time-darryl-ahye.html)

Darryl Ahye January 23rd, 2007 09:25 AM

UWOL #1 "Passing Time" - Darryl Ahye

It was fun to get out and shoot more nature for a change. I almost didn't get my entry in, but I glad it's here with all these other great entries. I didn't have time to put in credits so I'll add them here.

Actor: Daryl Correa
Music Composition: Adam Laparr

I Directed/Shot/Edited. Much thanks to the squirrel for his cameo.

All in all, a really fun project and a good reason to go outside for a change.

Equipment:
DVX100b (24pA)
Skateboard
Mandolly & ManJib
Natural light

Software:
Final Cut Pro
Reason

Meryem Ersoz January 23rd, 2007 10:09 AM

i can't comment on quality of anyone's entry, since i'm involved in evaluating, but this seems like a good spot to mention how much respect i have for the players who are willing to step outside their comfort zone...it's especially fun to see the DVCers doing something different with their skills. what this challenge does and what that challenge does are really different animals, so to speak.

i can say that the squirrel thing made me laugh. i was giving some thought to shooting a bunch of squirrels and then doing an FX thingie called "SquirrelVision" where they appear on TV doing squirrely things.

Ruth Happel January 23rd, 2007 11:29 AM

I enjoyed the fast pace, and the squirrel shots- both furry and human varieties- were great. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth

Per Johan Naesje January 23rd, 2007 12:17 PM

Darryl, your editing skill is top notch! I liked the squirrel-scene. What I didn't like was the heavy traffic in the background, you should have avoid that!

Gabriel Yeager January 23rd, 2007 01:13 PM

I agree with Per on this one, your editing is nice! And your actor did a nice job at impersonating a squirrel!

Nice job!
~Gabriel

Rick A. Phillips January 23rd, 2007 02:07 PM

I really enjoyed watching this. I can actually feel myself placed in this scenerio and passing the time away wandering around town. Like everyone else, I'm sure, the squirrel thing cracked me up! Takes a lot of self-confidence to sit up in a tree acting like a nut, let alone filming it and then posting online for everyone to watch. My thanks to you for sharing with us.

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee

Brian McKay January 23rd, 2007 02:11 PM

Good fun I enjoyed it...thanks for sharing it with me.

Brian

Kevin Railsback January 23rd, 2007 07:20 PM

Darryl,

One of the best edited films in the bunch! Great color and composition too!

Good job!!

Cody Lucido January 23rd, 2007 08:31 PM

Nice use of camera angels. Compositions are well done with good eye fore foreground/background.

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 10:13 PM

Darryl,

You've got quite an editing style that seemed to reinforce a kind of "random" quality to your shots.

To me it seems like you wanted to keep the viewer from "settling" into too relaxed a mood while watching. Your editing supported this and kept this viewer on his toes...

You presented a bit of restlessness and yet appreciation for things in nature. I think it was very well done and enjoyed the "squirrelly" performance.

Bruce Foreman

Randall Allen January 24th, 2007 05:37 PM

Great film man! I really loved it. I would have to disagree with Per though...I think the traffic adds to the sense of his isolation. The world continues to prosper around him even though he is just......passing time.

Randy

Bradley L Marlow January 24th, 2007 10:53 PM

Hi Darryl

Hey! Another DVCer friend coming over to the UWOL deal. Sweet.

I must agree with much that has been said already. What hasn't been mentioned- from fish humper to squirrel immitator, you definitely have some great and wild ideas! lol. I love the fact that you persue them.

Now- tell me about your decision to basically avoid the sky and put the cloud shot in at the very end. Am most curious?

Best wishes~
Bradley

Brendan Marnell January 26th, 2007 02:45 PM

Thoughtful sequences, lightly contrasted in the middle by a genuine attempt at squirrel impersonation. Mug-shots from below lent great depth to your fascination, real or otherwise, with the world about you, but then eye-level shots showed that you're a good-looking chap anyway, so maybe I was just fooled by your post-production. That's it I think, when you found a frame with a good facial expression you held on to it. So would I if I could find me one ... By the way was the final shot of the sky upside-down?

Chris Barcellos January 26th, 2007 03:41 PM

Hi Darryl:

Like Brad, my first impression was the "living sky" connection seemed a bit remote to me..... but maybe I missed something.

Imaginative film, despite fact I was looking for the connection.

Jim Michael January 26th, 2007 04:25 PM

Very creative film that evoked many different emotions.