UWOL #1: "Clear Skies" by Ruth Happel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi Bob,

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of using this for children's health programs. How do you think it might be adapted? Thanks.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #17
Major Player

Steve,

Actually the photo was of a refinery up in the Skagit. I went up there to film the geese, swans, etc. But ended up going with the bush/Bush theme instead. I know what you mean about that paper mill in Aberdeen. It really smells BAD! I'm glad you liked the film.

Ruth
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Ruth!

I can certainly see that you put much thought into your dialog. I liked the pH dude. lol Robin did a great job!

Another thing that you did very effectively, was to add the SFX of the chainsaw in the background. Adds to the whole destruction feel. Good job

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for your comments. Robin was glad to hear her pH dude doctor character was appreciated!

Some of the SFX were understated, since I didn't want to overwhelm the dialogue. So I'm glad you noticed sounds like the chainsaw.

Ruth
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Very nice and interesting way you made your film, Ruth!
I like to see when people are creative and do things the way we don't expect it to be done.

I also noticed the SFX you added, and you did a great job.

Trond
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #21
Inner Circle

This one took me by surprise, because I wasn't expecting what came after the first scene.... Very imaginative use of shrubery,,,, //////// Fairly easy to film given the Bush family name.... wonder how you would of a president by the name of Palm....:)
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #22
Major Player

Trond,

Thanks for the kind comments. I have a background in nature sounds audio, so tried to work that into the soundtrack. Some of it was pretty subtle, so I'm glad you noticed.
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #23
Major Player

Chris,

I'm glad the video surprised you- that is how I set it up. I made a quick transition from straight nature doc style to complete humor. Hmmm, I'll have to think about Palm :) It would be hard for me to shoot that in the PNW!
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #24
Major Player

A very happy and effective way to pour satire on a nasty social problem, Ruth
and an Oscar surely for the costumes. The cast from Radio Rhodo spoke well and truly. Thank you indeed for coming in ...
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #25
Major Player

Brendan,

Thanks for your comments. The rhodies are pleased- they worked hard on their look to make it trendy :)

Ruth
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #26
Major Player

Ruth this was pretty good. It takes some real imagination to come up with these ideas. Well done.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #27
Major Player

Gordon, thanks for your comments.

Ruth
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #28
Trustee

Ruth, I work for a center at CDC that deals in chemical exposure to residents living around hazardous waste sites and also emergency response with EPA. We are always looking for ways to get health based information to children in a form that will keep their attention. I once videoed a hand puppet show that Emory Medical School students came up with called "PAL" Pesticide, Asbestos and Lead. Kids react well to cartoons, puppets and "talking plants". Just look at a couple of Saturday morning cartoons. Kids relate to these things and if they can learn about health, ie lead from a talking bush well why not! It is sad to say that I often deal with communities that have very high rates of illiteracy so I try to use videos as often as possible. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #29
Major Player

Bob,

Your job sounds interesting and very important. That is great you can inform about serious issues with your videos. Sad that video is the medium of choice for you because of illiteracy, but more and more it seems to be the preferred form of communication regardless of literacy rate. Maybe talking bushes could help communicate messages to kids in a way they would understand and enjoy- certainly worth a try. Good luck with your work.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge