UWOL #1- "Above the Earth" by Chris Barcellos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL #1- "Above the Earth" by Chris Barcellos

I haven't had much opportunity to comment on other films, or open this thread until now. I am doing so now in case someone has comments or questions. All suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

In watching other films posted for this Challenge, I've already learned that I need to pay more attention to editing details, not be afraid to cut footage, and keeping the best. You are all congratulated on the fine productions.

Also, mine was a first attempt at real "wild life" shooting, and use of tripod, bracing, and so on is something I will definitely need to work on.

The water fowl shots were shot at Thorton, California, at a preserve, using my VX2000 with a Sony 1.6 teleextender. It was also used for the "cell tower" shot outside my office in Elk Grove.

The other shots were in Gonzales, CA. I had been there to video a cattle branding for the fun of it for a friends family, which coincided with this competition. I used FX1 at the event and caught these shots incidentally..
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice video Chris! I liked how you managed to get all of these different birds in one location! It turned out nice. The music was nice too.

I also liked how you opened it up, it was a cool idea.
Did you use auto focus?

Nice job!
~Gabriel
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice video of the birds.
The music was great and fit well.

You might cut a few of the clips a little earlier, but that is just a detail.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Chris,

Nice film. I thought it was pretty tight for the most part. The only thing that really took me away was the whip pan at 37 seconds. That would have been a good place to do a cut and then come back to the birds.

Other than that I thought your did a great job. Birds are some of the hardest things to film. Thought the music fit the piece. Really liked the egret taking off.
Old January 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I was amazed how many different birds you videotaped. The music seemed really organic to the film, definitely complementary to the images. It might have been better as others posted to have a faster pace, but I enjoyed an extended look at some of the birds- very nice.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback
Hey Chris,

Nice film. I thought it was pretty tight for the most part. The only thing that really took me away was the whip pan at 37 seconds. That would have been a good place to do a cut and then come back to the birds.

Other than that I thought your did a great job. Birds are some of the hardest things to film. Thought the music fit the piece. Really liked the egret taking off.
Whip pan was primarily the one I was talking about too, in cutting. I thought it was important to follow the birds from ground up in the film, but realize in retrospect I should have edited that out.

Thanks for comments... Appropriately, music was from Sonic Pro, Flying High song
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager
Nice video Chris! I liked how you managed to get all of these different birds in one location! It turned out nice. The music was nice too.

I also liked how you opened it up, it was a cool idea.
Did you use auto focus?

Nice job!
~Gabriel
I tried follow focus, at first when I was shooting, realized I couldn't keep up. On some shots I tried auto, but kept losing it. So I fixed focus tried to keep fstop higher for deeper depth. Music from Sonic Pro version 3
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ruth and Trond:

Yeap, a little more judicious cutting will be my montra for the next one of these. As I indicated to others, music from Sonic Pro "Flying High" theme.

Thanks for comments !
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Chris!

Yay! Another DVCer coming over to do the UWOL deal. Nice. I too was impressed with how many different species you managed to get. I'll bet that preserve yeilds quite a plethora of bird life.

I agree with your own assesment(s) on the film. Where those Sandhill Cranes towards the beginning? I really liked that shot as well as the gaggle of geese!
Good job.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Sandhill Cranes, possibly, though I am no expert. I know they are in the area. I do like shooting nature, so I guess I will have to start learning this stuff.
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Lovely shots of a wide variety of migrating birds and a great clip of a fast stoop by the resident kestrel against gorgeous mountain colours.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #12
Trustee

Chris, most have been mentioned to your footage. I really loved to see the kestrel clip as Brendan mention.

Well done!
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #13
Trustee

Beautifull scenes of the birds Chris.
I'm one of the guys thinking that music is a part of a wildlife film, though we never hear it in the wilderness, It just give a touch of relaxing atmosphere, and so did you video :)
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Major Player

Chris. I would say for your first attempt at a real wildlife shooting you did a good job. Maybe it's just me but I did find it a bit distracting with the vehicles driving through in the back ground of the wider shot. You have some nice shots and I enjoyed you video.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Thanks all again for the additional comments. Believeme, this learning experience will be used in the future to better my projects !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge