Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Wrangler

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #2

here's the thread where we share our stories of our successes and failures, the shot that got away, the happy surprise, the uncooperative weather. etc.

by now, we're almost a weekend into our contest, and surely you're exhausted, grumpy, delighted, cold, wet. or else...you're merely procrastinating and feeling the slow grip of panic settling in.

tell us all about it!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Well, I'm going with the first thought that popped into my head.

Filmed some of the footage for the opening scene yesterday and this morning.
The way the weather has been I'll have to film the body of it in a short time period.
We vary from single digit temps to near 50 by mid week next week.
So, I could have snow on the ground one day and mud the next.

Should be interesting. :)
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Weather Forcast-Rankin Inlet

A strengthening ridge of high pressure to the west will produce northwest winds of up to 50 gusting 70 km/h today through Monday causing blizzard conditions in most areas.

Wind chill values will be bitterly cold during the blizzard..The expected winds combined with temperatures around minus 40 will result in wind chill values around minus 60.

In other words same old same old....Recreation....staying warm!!!!

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post
A strengthening ridge of high pressure to the west will produce northwest winds of up to 50 gusting 70 km/h today through Monday causing blizzard conditions in most areas.

Wind chill values will be bitterly cold during the blizzard..The expected winds combined with temperatures around minus 40 will result in wind chill values around minus 60.

In other words same old same old....Recreation....staying warm!!!!

Brian
Ok Brian, I have to ask. What keeps you living in a climate that harsh? At least you have internet service but man, that forecast is not fit for man nor beast.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Ok Brian, I have to ask. What keeps you living in a climate that harsh? At least you have internet service but man, that forecast is not fit for man nor beast.

-gb-
Greg, I think the only known species to me that will fit for this is my friends the Muskoxen :-)

Brian, I know how you feel there in the cold, keep yourself warm!

Well, I have made up a story for my contribution, and finished a part of the filming. I think this gonna be a real nice one!
Keywords: birdwatching, ravens, beautiful scenery etc. Say no more... ;-)
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Hello Greg:

To be honest on days like this I ask myself the same question.

It's one of those deals in that we have to make a living somewhere so it may as well be a place where crime is almost non existant and rush hour lasts 2 minutes. I came here for 2 years 15 years ago, but I keep saying I'm out of here in two years.

If one loves the outdoors, wildlife and fishing this is the place to be, the land is still unspoiled and it's still possible to stand where no man has ever stood before.

However on a day like this I still say " damn It McKay your out of your mind".

Brian

PS: I shot the indoor portion of my entry on Friday night and with this weather I have lots of time to cut and trim.

B
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Well here is my two bits for how things are going with the challenge. Put the concept and storyline to a 26 shot storyboard. Lots of fun making doodles and then trying to interpet them. I haven't decided yet if the film may or may not contain a narrative. After the storyboard I got a 3 minute (exactly with the reverb on the drum) piece recorded from scratch. It's a fairly moderate tempo at about 130 bpm and very editable as most edits can be done on multiples of the 3.5 sec/bar tempo. Used my 88 note keyboard and sampler for several of the bed tracks. Also added several Roland V drum tracks and finally some extra guitar work. Mixed with automation using a 16ch remote and checked the music file within vegas with some test footage. It's epic.....mabey too epic but I'm sure it will work for the final short.

So if all goes well...and the forecast delivers then I should be dangling from a tree tommorow morning getting the first shot and some needed outdoor recreation!!
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

my wish list: anchors for the tripod to prevent the strong wind I had this weekend from blowing the tripod away all the time. Or maybe an extra hand to operate the camera while holding the tripod with my 2 other hands?

Anyways, I think I got a few shots I can use.
So far it has been more challenge than recreation for me, but that's what half the fun is. I'm excited.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Trustee

Finding something, anything at all, is my greatest wall. I have 30 minutes of sun after work and not a whole lot of time this weekend. Last weekend was fruitless. Everything I want to shoot is going on while I'm at work or around an area that is not desirable visually OR too far away for me to have time to go to... I spent an hour chasing hot air balloons yesterday but couldn't get a shot that was nice, (power lines, freeway, sun in wrong position, me in the wrong position, etc.) I think I have about 20 seconds of usable footage so far, hopefully something will manifest during the week and weekend....
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, I should be able to start shooting tomorrow. It was no fun around here much of last week and over the weekend. Kids and I were sick and I was busy getting caught up from that. I still don't have any concepts for this little project, but I guess I'll see what comes of it as I try to shoot something over the next few days. My idea for UWOL #1 isn't a real good fit for this theme, so I'll save it for yet another day....

So just like last time, I'm off to a late start, but so far it looks like the weather is going to cooperate a bit more.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Trustee

I shot mine today. The audio is not everything I wish it could have been, but the talent didn't have any time to come in for a voiceover as originally planned. So I will clean it up as best I can. How quiet should a tennis court be when all of the surrounding courts are in use anyway.

The sun was cooperative, and the talent didn't have to squint too noticeably. It was a very balmy 76 degrees during shooting. It is warmer now though.

The poor audio is going to drive me to finally buy wireless mics. I knew this contest was going to cost me something!

I think I'll pick up a nice dramatic SmartSound for the intro and the credits as long as I am spending money.

I have quite a bit of motion graphics work to do to replace the drawings he was pointing to in order to explain some of the concepts. But at least it looks like I will have an entry. A winner? Probably not. Someone will have something more artistic than mine. Mine is functional and educational, not artistic.

But maybe the judge will learn something useful and I will get an honorable mention?
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Wrangler

okay, whose bright idea was it to change this whole daylight savings time thingie right in the middle of the UWOL Challenge?? got up at 5 am to shoot some sunrise footage and the dang sun started peeking out at 5:30am, before i even sucked down my coffee and made it out the door. now i'm too sleepy to shoot the rest of it.

but hey, it looks like i'm staying out of the tank with an entry! woo hoo!

coyote made an appearance. i was shooting on a monopod at full wide, so i hope i can find a few seconds free of shake.

the one that got away was a beautiful golden eagle that flew over my head after i put my camera away. it was all gold with pink sunlight lighting its underbelly. it circled me three times, but i was never able to lock focus. fumbling too much to re-mount the camera. i had to give up and enjoy the moment. no footage, just a magnificent sight to behold. thanks, eagle.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #13
Trustee

Good morning sunshine (Meryem) but you did get up, thats the issue ;)
I'm almost done with my video myself, but I'm not sure how it will end up.
I've been filming in a city, I've been by the sea and on the mountains, then the rain set in, so I'm glad this is called a challenge.
I have to take a trip to the woods and shot my last scenes, then there is something called editing.... I use Avid Liquid Pro.

At least, this time I had a plan on paper.

Next weekend Per Johan is coming to town, so I have to finish my UWOL#2 by then, we're gonna put a lot of wildlife and nature on tape :)
It'll be great!
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I've had some good luck on both weather and subjects for my entry so far. I got some more pretty good Bufflehead footage and this morning got little bit of a female Cooper's Hawk building a nest in a small woodlot in a local cemetery. Hopefully I can put it all together into something watchable. Not sure whether to use music or just natural sounds...spring has arrived in northeast Tennessee and the birds are in full song. Wanted to put a few wildflowers into this too, but I think we're about a week or too early for the species I wanted to include. Can't have everything! Hope everyone is having fun with this. I will attach a video capture of the Cooper's Hawk at the nest.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #2-coopershawk.jpg  
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #15
Major Player

Sounds like everyone else is having good luck. I have yet to capture anything thats wild other then me! lol.

Today I am heading out to local park that you may have seen on my old test footage from last year.

My idea is failing me, and I have no idea what I am going to do... And oh yeah, I found out that carrying ten pounds on a mile walk turns really heavy and tiring fast!

The good news is today is the last day of clouds! The rest of this week is supposed to be sunny and warm (65* Fahrenheit high).

Good luck everyone!
~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge