DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL Challenge Deadline Extension! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/89222-uwol-challenge-deadline-extension.html)

Meryem Ersoz March 18th, 2007 08:42 AM

UWOL Challenge Deadline Extension!

okay, due to the technical difficulties in getting everyone's film online, we're extending the deadline until thursday--with no time restrictions. we'll take your movies until midnight anywhere around the world!

#2 has been a real hairball.

i promise that we will not have these issues again. ever. i would sooner postpone #3 than to have this kind of chaos characterize the Challenge. the players deserve to have a functional upload. they deserve to put up files they can have pride in.

having said that, chris hurd has generously offered to host every subsequent Challenge. he will let us upload straight to a DVinfo folder, so we should have no issues with uploader malfunction. we should be able to enlarge the file sizes and i believe that we should be able to accept a wider range of extensions, but i have not confirmed this last with him.

this should effectively resolve all of the issues that most of you have complained about.

sorry for the inconvenience. please bear with us as we work out the technical difficulties. thank you for your patience.

Meryem Ersoz March 18th, 2007 09:54 AM

by now, all players should have received instructions from me on how to FTP their files directly into the UWOL Challenge website, bypassing the uploader, which is defunct.

if, for any reason, you failed to receive this e-mail, e-mail me directly at mersoz@comcast.net, and i will re-send the instructions. thanks.

Gabriel Yeager March 18th, 2007 09:57 AM

Woohoo! I mean, Yeah, thats to bad we have had so many problems... /\_/\

That would be nice if everything follows thru with Chris.

~Gabriel

Ruth Happel March 18th, 2007 11:20 AM

The FTP instructions don't work for me. I got a message when using the username and password, fails to authenticate. So I will just let a link to my page be uploaded to the site and people can choose which of the many options I've provided on my own blog page to watch. To be honest, the file I uploaded for the challenge (a 30 MB MPEG-1 file, which was marginally better than the 50 MB Sorenson 3 QT file) is really barely worth watching. If anyone has the capability of watching the others, I'd highly recommend it. Having spent a day- until 3 AM this morning, trying to get the file compressed, I am really frustrated by this process. I hope we can continue a dialogue on options which I tried to start early in the UWOL 1 challenge, that leads to more high quality compression options, and easier workflow to prepare the videos for the challenge, for myself and other PC users. It is clear from multiple threads here that many PC users are having major problems, like me, getting a reasonable QT file at 50 MB or less. And I just don't have the budget to buy the Sorenson software, though it does appear to perform minor miracles which would save me time and disappointment of my ultimate output.

Anyway, here is the link to my page, with various videos, including one well under the MB limits for the challenge:

http://rockfowl.com/blogs/sample_web...ion-video.aspx

Ruth

Chris Barcellos March 18th, 2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 643638)
#2 has been a real hairball.

Its called Murphy's Law.

Meryem, we all thank you for doing this work-- and it is appreciated !!!

Meryem Ersoz March 18th, 2007 04:58 PM

the FTP instructions are case-sensitive. sorry for the inconvenience, ruth. i will understand perfectly if you decide not to participate in the future. but believe me, if you think this is frustrating to you, you have no idea how frustrating it is to me. what a luxury to only have to worry about one entry. i'm worried about twenty-some entries. and believe me, i am taking each one as seriously as i would my own. that's the best that i'm capable of doing....

Marco Wagner March 18th, 2007 11:10 PM

Do those that have already uploaded their file get until Thursday to make changes and re-upload?

Steven Gotz March 18th, 2007 11:15 PM

I am uploading to the ftp site as I type this. I guess I need to go back and read about where I submit a description of the video.

Marco Wagner March 18th, 2007 11:29 PM

Got mine uploaded! PHEW!!!

Meryem Ersoz March 19th, 2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Wagner (Post 644015)
Do those that have already uploaded their file get until Thursday to make changes and re-upload?

yes, if they feel they need it...

Brian McKay March 19th, 2007 10:28 AM

Hello All:

Meryem this extension may have saved me from a watery grave. I shot the outdoor portion of the film yesterday (damn near froze) it's now in the computer and ready to edit.

I want to thank Murphy and the Techno Gods for all there assistance.

Brian

Marco Wagner March 19th, 2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 644227)
yes, if they feel they need it...

Should those that need to just re-upload with the same file name?

Meryem Ersoz March 19th, 2007 02:25 PM

marco: make it the exact same file name but with "2" so that we know it's the most recent addition and can delete the first.

Meryem Ersoz March 19th, 2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian McKay (Post 644268)
Hello All:

Meryem this extension may have saved me from a watery grave. I shot the outdoor portion of the film yesterday (damn near froze) it's now in the computer and ready to edit.

I want to thank Murphy and the Techno Gods for all there assistance.

Brian

well, that's how it goes when you're naked, "recreating" naked. har.

Brian McKay March 19th, 2007 03:14 PM

Okay that's it. The hairball thing had me a bit concerned but this has me down right worried.

Meryem...if you need someone to just listen and not pass judgement, please just ask I'll be there for ya LOL.

And I thought I was alone when I lost my mind....thanks for the company LOL

Brian