UWOL #2 - Time Flies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #2 - Time Flies

Interestingly enough, although I am now an avid fisherman, I never owned a fishing rod until after my son was born. Although he is only 10 now, we have fished a great deal over the past 6 years. Yes, it's true. From him I learned to love not only to fish, but to enjoy the process of fishing which in our case involves tying flies.

There is a in fishing, a timeless aspect. For generations upon generations, people have fished. It is said that even ancient Egyptians used to tie flies to catch fish.

Yet it is in fishing that I watch the milestones of my son's life pass. Especially in the rivers where we fish each year for the returning pacific salmon. Hence the title - Time Flies

In this short film, I was was playing on the 'creation' aspect of recreation in the initial fly-tying segment. And then tried to 're-create' on film, the sentimental nature of the craft.

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen..._timeflies.mpg

Last edited by Ken Diewert; March 24th, 2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added link to video
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Well done Ken.
I'm also a fly-tying type and like to catch a trout now and then.
I liked your film very much and I know how much work's behind one fly.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Trustee

It was very interesting seeing how those are made and the fun after. Looked good too!
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Major Player

I liked the way the still photos brought in a feeling of history, as I think you were trying to capture. There was a sense of this going on for generations, shared memories of the preparation in tying the flies, and in being out on the river together- probably at least as important as any fish you catch. Very nicely done.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Ken:

Very nice job of portraying the passion for your chosen recreational activity. Loved the nostalgic feel and the obvious portrayal of traditions being passed down. Nice job, and right on point !!
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Trustee

You dealt with this in a nice way....it was relaxing, interesting and informative.....with a nice choice of audio track.

I would have liked to have seen a better closing. Maybe a pan shot of massive fly selection or some 'result' of the time spent.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks,

I'm reluctant (ashamed?) to admit, after watching some of the well planned and conceived films, that my camera moved a grand total of 4 feet from it's normal resting spot to shoot this. The entire film was shot and edited within a 3-hour span. (of course conversion and upload was a different story).

Oh, I had great plans, but...

And in a further admission, the using of 3 still photos not shot within the timeline for the competition, disqualifies me. I had cut it without them, however I added them in an attempt to convey the pangs of nostalgia one feels as they watch their children grow.
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Trustee

Ken,
I don't think you're disqualified at all.
I thought all the FOOTAGE had to be shot during the challenge period. You took footage of photographs. Why wouldn't that be perfectly fine?

Heck, in UWOL1 I had footage of the moon and that was created billions of years ago!

But back to the film.

Nice, nice, nice. Who cares if you only moved the camera only three or four feet? My opening timelapse was shot out on my back deck. That's the first thing I do when I get the challenge them is to set up on the deck, film a time-lapse and watch TV or something while I'm recording it. :)

Very nice film. I think the music gave it a nice nostaligic feel. The pictures took it over the top!

Awesome job!
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Ken, I really want to see your video! It sounds so good! But for some reason I can not download it. Its the same thing with Cat's video.

when I right-click where it would say "download linked file", it says "Save linked file to Desktop". So for some reason, I can not download it! Sorry!

Let me know if anyone has any ideas as of whats going on!
~Gabriel
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Trustee

Ken, you put me in a very good mood with this film. Very relaxed and nice edit. The only minor thing was that I whish I could have seen the face (close ups of the eyes) of the actor. Consentrated eyes blended with the fingers, would have made a real nice effect!

Nicely done!
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Trustee

Per Johan,

Very good point. I wanted to reverse the shot. But the 'set' was actually a 3-sided cabinet which is less than 3 feet by 2 feet, and I just couldn't get the shot without spending a lot more time than I had.

It also didn't help that I shooting myself tying the fly.

I do have some friends that tie very beautiful flies. One of these days we will be making fly-tying 'how-to' videos.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Yay, it worked!

That was a nice video Ken. I liked how you had everything in a tight shot, it really gave you a nice feel as to what you are doing.

And all of the fish stuff was rather cool.

I am going to be honest, I do not know a thing about fishing. So when I saw the title, I thought "tying a fly to a hook..... that will be interesting. How on earth can you do that????" lol.

Now I see that I was completely wrong, sorry! lol.

It was a cool video, and the music made it really enjoyable. Very relaxing.

As Per said, that would have pushed it, and made it a little more interesting.

I am very amazed at how much work that is, and what a skill it is. Congratulations on that alone!

Keep up the great work!
~Gabriel
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Very nice, Ken!
It is a lot of work behind those flies, and you managed to let us see and understand that.
Per Johan gave you some good critics for how to improve the video a little, but over all, you did well!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Ken,

Great film, very atmospheric.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge