Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Wrangler

whoa, trillemarka! i want to go to trillemarka! sounds fabulous.

someday i'm gonna organize the UWOL world tour, where we all meet in Norway (i hope you're a good cook, per....) and then travel to all of the interesting places where UWOL regulars live.

uh, i guess i better get started on those UWOL T-shirts first, though. many ideas, too little time.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #17
Wrangler

*begin lecture*

hey gabriel, this is one of those themes that you don't over-think. you live in oregon, fer cryin' out loud. just take your camera to one of those creepy, murky forests nearby and start shooting stuff, close-ups, long shots, etc. take a day trip to mount saint helens. if you can't shoot THE WILD in oregon, then you're not gonna be able to shoot it anywhere!....

if kevin railsback can think of something WILD in iowa, yes iowa......wild cows? wild corn? wild miles and miles of flat land? now that takes a bit of talent and imagination.

you you, young gabriel, are living in a mad cornucopia of wildness. the most wildness in the continental USA, with the possible exception of nearby washington. Ho rainforest, anyone?

*end lecture*

it wouldn't be a UWOL Challenge if i did not shake down young gabe at least once....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Major Player

Wow Per, that sounds like a great trip!
I would be up for going to Norway! :-D

Your right Meryem (as always). I think I am over looking it....
However, I am pretty much limited to my bike this time. :( So I guess that I am going to have to start looking for closer places...
Ideally, by UWOL #9 I'll be driving so I can make it places... Time needs to move faster....

Thanks again Meryem! You and your "lectures" always seem to effect me right... Thanks.

Maybe I'll be able to get that time lapse footage I wanted to do last time. Thanks to finally getting a 320gb external hard-drive.

~Gabriel
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Well, I am headed out tomorrow to a Wilderness Area in the Southern Appalachian Mountains to hopefully get some wildflowers, forest, and stream shots. I swore I was gonna try this one without any telextenders or a single bird in the whole clip. We'll see how that goes.

Also have an opportunity to get some footage at a Wild Ramp Festival near the TN/NC border this weekend...weather permitting. What is a ramp you say...wait and see or google it for a quick rundown.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Sure Meryem...go make a movie you say........

Cut from our weather report!!!!

A low pressure system tracking across the southern Kivalliq area has spread snow across the Chesterfield and Rankin Inlet areas. 15 cm of snow has fallen in Rankin Inlet as of 9 AM this morning..With about 20 to 25 cm in total expected by the time the snow tapers off overnight tonight. Similar snowfall totals are expected over the Chesterfield Inlet area, but with slightly stronger winds in this community blizzard conditions are expected today. The blizzard will end late today as winds diminish somewhat, with the snow ending early this evening.

Wild ah.....no pun intended.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post
Sure Meryem...go make a movie you say........

Cut from our weather report!!!!

A low pressure system tracking across the southern Kivalliq area has spread snow across the Chesterfield and Rankin Inlet areas. 15 cm of snow has fallen in Rankin Inlet as of 9 AM this morning..With about 20 to 25 cm in total expected by the time the snow tapers off overnight tonight. Similar snowfall totals are expected over the Chesterfield Inlet area, but with slightly stronger winds in this community blizzard conditions are expected today. The blizzard will end late today as winds diminish somewhat, with the snow ending early this evening.

Wild ah.....no pun intended.

Brian
Brian, that's THE WILD weather!!
Just point the camera out the window and start shooting. :-)

We haven't your snow here, but my camera doesn't like the tons of rain we have gotten here lately.
Haven't shot anything yet. So far I just have a couple of ideas.

Good luck to all of you!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
whoa, trillemarka! i want to go to trillemarka! sounds fabulous.

someday i'm gonna organize the UWOL world tour, where we all meet in Norway (i hope you're a good cook, per....) and then travel to all of the interesting places where UWOL regulars live.

uh, i guess i better get started on those UWOL T-shirts first, though. many ideas, too little time.
UWOL world tour.... sounds exotic.
#4 theme: "view from the top of Mount Everest". No wait, that would be perfect for the wild #3.

PER: Start cooking! We are on our way to trillemarka. (which I have never heard about until you mentioned it)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
wild west, huh? there's an original interpretation....

coulda fit the RECREATION theme, too, come to think of it.

looking forward to your film, bruce. happy editing!
Well, nothing like this was taking place during that time frame. One fort (the best restored fort in the southwest) is right near the middle of the city. They have a big celebration with re-enactors each December, "Christmas At Old Fort Concho". This December they will celebrate the 140th anniversary of Fort Concho.

Fort Chadbourne is on private ranch property about 1 hours drive from here. I'd never been out there because until the present owner inherited the ranch, his folks did not want to do anything with the ruins. "Let nature take it's course" was their attitude. Present owner looks on himself as a "steward" of the history the fort represents, made it open to the public, and is spending a lot of his own money funding restoration of the buildings, one at a time.

Fort McKavett is a little further away and not as well restored. But each one of these places has their own annual "event" and I need to make the rounds and put together my own documentary.

The real history bears little resemblance to Hollywood's depictions, when they made the movie "Buffalo Soldiers" they had a chance to get it right and depict the story of the 10th Cavalry at Fort Concho. But they chose instead to go with some Hollywood fantasy that bore little resemblance to history (except the troopers were black).

At the very least they could have filmed Elmer Kelton's "The Wolf And The Buffalo" which was at least based on some semblance of fact. Kelton does real research before he writes a book (The Wolf was a Commanche war chief and the Buffalo was a freed plantation slave who became a 10th Cav Trooper. Their paths crossed a few times.)

What I've got on tape so far is how the re-enactors place themselves "on display", mingle with visitors, and in their own way portray life "in the wild" on the Texas Frontier.

A good read if you can find a copy is the true account of two brothers abducted by Indians in Texas. One was traded to Geronimo, and both eventually recovered. "The Boy Captives" by J. Marvin Hunter, the account of Clinton L. Smith and Jeff D. Smith.

Who has time to read anymore?
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
Wow, so here is where I am at:

.......................Nothing........................

Yep, nothing at all...... Not one thought......

Sounds like you guys got some good ideas out there. Best of luck in completing them!

~Gabriel
I share your idea, LOL... I'm in the middle of another project (time friendly) and can't seem to grasp a single idea for "The Wild" yet...
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #25
Trustee

Right or wrong I usually go with the first thought that pops into my head.

My original idea all hinges on one single shot that will be very hard to get. So, I'm trying to think of a backup shot that I can do which won;t have the same impact but still move the story along.

I'm heading to Yellowstone in a couple weeks and I can think of a million things I'd do out there for the theme but here I am in Iowa for this challenge.

But pretty much anything that's not manmade could qualify for wild.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
I share your idea, LOL... I'm in the middle of another project (time friendly) and can't seem to grasp a single idea for "The Wild" yet...
Haha, yeah.. Bummer! Well I hope you get something put together.

I am starting to think macro now... There is but one other thing that I can think of that would work... But that takes a little bit more work and a little more risky... Hmm, take the risk, or go for safe?

I need my UV filter to hurry up and get here!! Arrgh. Its taking to long....

~Gabriel
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #27
Inner Circle

"The Nothing" - dread the thought.

Scribes call it writer's block.

See this debilitating paralysis sets in. The pen will not flick into the hand with the thought because the thought will not flick into the head. Nothing so drastic as a fire lit under the dot is required however.

Just go out into your own back yard.

Sit down - on a dry place preferably, find a frame with your eyes, look upon a single sharply defined point somewhere, lock you vision onto that point, don't look away, even blink or let your eyes wander even for a moment.

When your eyes eventually begin to desensitise to the image, anything that moves will be instantly apparent - old bushie's trick. Go shoot that for starters.

Then, the impatience of youth - yeah. Lots of time on your hands. Enjoy while it lasts.

Come the time the slow passage of time becomes a raging flood and all you have time for is hang onto the rails and tremble at the prospect of going down the stairs - face first, let alone have time to hang onto the camera and point it.

Still and all, wrinklitude does have a lot going for it.

That old football injury gives you a nip to tell you when it is not worth going out because the weather will turn foul.

The eyeglasses you wear double as safeties when some clown charges his weedwhacker into a path of gravel when he trips as you walk by.

You can use your assumed deafness to gather up all manner of interesting intelligence.

You learn great situational skills because wherever you have walked into, you have to walk out of again on those cracking ankle joints.

You can use dementia as a good excuse for impatience.

A bit of bad broken wind works wonders for clearing the unwelcome press of a crowd from around you.

The best part and the worst condescencion of it is all that you are forgiven because you are OLD.

Wanna swap?

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 8th, 2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #28
Major Player

How very poetic Bob (in a good way)!

I enjoy being young, even though my bones seem to say otherwise.

I just wish that I could drive and afford to do video work. Thats all I am asking for (for now)...

Maybe I'll just go out tomorrow with my camera and start looking for things.....

~Gabriel
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #29
Trustee

Hi Gabriel, I hope you'll find an idea for uwol#3. I thought your last entry was very good. Maybe you should try the microcosmos, or something near by? I wish you good luck and I'm sure you'll come up with something great this time too.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post

I just wish that I could drive and afford to do video work. Thats all I am asking for (for now)...
how can you not love this kid??

if it's any consolation, gabriel, i think we all wish we could afford to do video work! i've never done anything else in my life that has given me such a case of the "i wants"....

going broke, but oh the gear!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge