DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/92874-tales-wonder-woe-uwol-3-a.html)

Oliver Reik May 15th, 2007 03:45 AM

Wow, you guys were already very busy and did some lovely shots...
I will meet on Friday afternoon with one of my colleagues with his wild dog to hopefully get some wild footage. ;-)

I am already looking forward to see your guy's movies.

Regards,

Oliver

Rob Evans May 15th, 2007 04:23 AM

Well, the sun appeared last night after work!!

And then disappeared 5 minutes after i got to my spot :(

So the backup plan went into action, and by 10.30 last night i called it a wrap :-) Time to hit the edit suite tonight!!!

I wanna say thanks for putting this idea together - I was blown away by most of the footage i captured last night, and if it hadn't been for the UWOL challange i doubt i would have even thought about doing it....

PS as I'm a bit new to this, are many of you guys putting links up to HD content afterwards as well? I'm editing HD so I guess i will push out a WMV HD copy, but i guess it will hover round the 200mb mark.

Mat Thompson May 15th, 2007 04:46 AM

Hey Rob, blimey I'm intrigued as to what you might be shooting at that time of day in Berkshire.....hhhmmmm !

Rob Evans May 15th, 2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 679523)
Hey Rob, blimey I'm intrigued as to what you might be shooting at that time of day in Berkshire.....hhhmmmm !

Hehe ;-) all will be revealed.

Interestingly, the spot i did get to last night was on the thames. I set up, the sun disappeared and I heard a high pitched bird call from behind me. I turned around, and 10 feet away a kingfisher had just landed on a willow branch. But, by the time i had turned the camera round, it had flown off.....

Mat Thompson May 15th, 2007 05:11 AM

LOL....hey I know the feeling oh so well !! Still a treat though huh !

Rob Evans May 15th, 2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 679531)
LOL....hey I know the feeling oh so well !! Still a treat though huh !

Absolutley! For me, they're up there with bee-eaters and rollers from a beauty perspective!! Again, i think thats the hook for this competition, I was walking through a meadow getting buzzed by swallows last night and thought "now wouldnt it be great to film them...." It makes you think more about whats going on around you :-)

Kevin Railsback May 15th, 2007 04:16 PM

I got a shot of a mushroom. Did I mention that already? :)

Bruce Foreman May 15th, 2007 07:59 PM

Done!

Did a final re-edit last night, tightened things up a bit, and it's uploading now.

The server must really be busy, total upload time for 54.2 MB will be about 55 minutes. I still don't like what the compression does to quality in converting to .mov file format, I had to use about 44% on the quality slider in the QT7 Pro settings to get below 60MB. It looks good so long as you stick with the normal small size viewing window.

I had to settle for what I got on the Ft Chadbourne cavalry and re-enactors, I had hoped to intersperse the re-enactors with some rugged cactus & mesquite terrain and rough looking riverbed stuff. But constant thunderstorm and tornado watches got in the way.

Looking forward to seeing what others have done, that's almost as much fun as getting out and doing video

Gabriel Yeager May 15th, 2007 08:09 PM

Almost starting..

If all goes as plan, I will be getting up way to early tomorrow and start filming! :)

Last night, after drinking lots of caffeinated beverages, I stayed up till 3 'o clock in the morning coming up with an idea. I wrote down a concept script (or whatever you would like to call it), and then woke up 4 hours later to start my day. Ahh, what I life! lol!

Can't wait to see the all of the entries.
~Gabriel

Per Johan Naesje May 16th, 2007 06:13 PM

Jib footage in the river

1 Attachment(s)
As promised: here is a short footage of my Jib. This shot was taken during my trip to Trillemarka and uwol-3 production.
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/UWOL/jib.mov (2.8MB)

This rig is huge and heavy with additional 10kg weight to stabilize the camcorder up front. But I'm very pleased with the footage taken with the jib.

Enjoy!

Gabriel Yeager May 16th, 2007 06:25 PM

That looks like a nice rig Per. I can't wait to see some more footage from it. :)

I had some fun today. Got about 15 minutes of video.. And still not enough!

Good-luck everyone!
~Gabriel

Trond Saetre May 17th, 2007 07:05 AM

Nice rig, Per.
I'm lookng forward to see the video you shot when using it.
Is it hard to getting used to the jib, or do you find it easy?

Dale Guthormsen May 17th, 2007 10:40 PM

Per,

Nice rig, and i can already see some great uses for such a jig!! Ok another thing to add to the kit to get great shots!!!

curiously,
does the jib attach to your tripod or does it have its own independant pod???

I finished my uwol today and am compressing it as we speak. Problem is the fool things are never done!! have to let go at some point!!

Dale Guthormsen May 17th, 2007 11:52 PM

wonder??

Well,

Thought i would share this with you all. I have been shooting with my broken tripod which was welded back together but is basicly toast!! I was looking at a libec and thinking of a vinten vision.

A few week ago I was talking to an aquaintence who did merlin research 20 years back. I told him of my fall and disaster with camera and tripod. He said he had an old tripod in the garage which they used for the merlin studies. anyway, I said dig it out and tell me what it is and i might be interested in it.
he phoned today to tell me it is a miller tripod with a fluid head. I have no idea what model, but it is bound to be better than my broken tripod!!!
It is coming down on the bus tomarrow and i am very curious to see what it is.

Per Johan Naesje May 18th, 2007 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 680966)
Nice rig, Per.
I'm lookng forward to see the video you shot when using it.
Is it hard to getting used to the jib, or do you find it easy?

The hardest thing is to carry this monster out in the wild ;-) It's double the weight of the tripod and camcorder.
To use the jib is easy though you must have an external monitor to view what you are recording. I use a Canon HV10 connected via composite as a monitor.