DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#3 "The Breathing Hole" by Brian McKay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/94683-uwol-3-breathing-hole-brian-mckay.html)

Brian McKay May 22nd, 2007 08:25 AM

UWOL#3 "The Breathing Hole" by Brian McKay

Hello All:

More ice and snow as you will see. This one was a bit of fun, getting out on the sea ice with my wife and just goofing around.

Any and all comments will be very welcome.

Brian

Geir Inge May 22nd, 2007 03:28 PM

Oh, I'm so happy the winter is over here in Norway. I'm freezing when I see your film. But I liked your concept, and it gives a hint of how it is way up north, in the cold. And that hunting is a part of our heritage. As wildlife film makers, we often forget that this is a part of survival, for some.
The ice makes some great sculptures.
Nice work Brian.

Rick A. Phillips May 22nd, 2007 05:18 PM

Hey Brian,

Enjoyed the film. How long did you guys actually wait for the seal to show? And I gotta ask this...did you get him? Hopefully you will get to enjoy a brief summer soon, before more snow...and more snow...and more snow....

Rick

Brian McKay May 22nd, 2007 08:05 PM

Thanks for the comments:

Actually we were at that hole for around four hours and to be honest I was bored out of my mind as I tried to depict in the film....then finally I said to Susan "enough is enough just pretend you got one. Yes Geir your right life in our part of the world can be slightly different and as you suggest hunting is a big part of our survival.

Come on UWOL Challenge #4 I want to prove that we do have flowers and tundra.

Brian

Chris Barcellos May 22nd, 2007 08:21 PM

Okay. Wasn't sure what the breathing hole was all about, but you definitely conveyed that you live in a cold place. I take it by comments here in this thread, that opening up a hole in the ice presents a hunting opportunity. Have I got that right ? For someone as dense as me, probably need a bit more of an explanation.... Nice film..

Kevin Railsback May 22nd, 2007 08:22 PM

Hey Brian,

I think your film demonstrates the epitome of nature filmmaking. Hours and hours of boredom following by a couple frantic moments. :)

I think you really showcased the determination it takes to sit there for hours on end.

Although I have to admit, I'm glad no animals were harmed in the making of your film. :)

Look forward to seeing what you guys have for a Summer up there!

Brian McKay May 22nd, 2007 08:31 PM

Hello Chris:

Your question is very reasonable when you have never lived in my world. Actually here is how it works, as winter arrives and the ice starts to form on the sea the seals keep breaking the ice and going to the same spots or holes to breath thereby keeping the hole open. The local hunters will find these holes and wait for hours waiting for the seal to pop up and grab a breath of air that's when the hunter will strike with the harpoon... as in the film. The real trick to the game is finding the hole...that's why all the roaming around on the skidoo.

As a point of interest the ice is (as of this weekend) seven feet thick.

Brian

Trond Saetre May 23rd, 2007 03:46 AM

A nice video you made.
Film making and hunting... it's all about waiting for that special moment.
Well done!

Meryem Ersoz May 23rd, 2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback (Post 684230)
Hey Brian,

I think your film demonstrates the epitome of nature filmmaking. Hours and hours of boredom following by a couple frantic moments. :)

that's pretty funny...not to mention true!

can't comment on films til post-judging, but i'm always interested in getting a window on the world as it spins on its axis far from me and my narrow range of experiences.....

Rob Evans May 23rd, 2007 11:04 AM

Really good storytelling with a great humour - loved it!!! if you're planning on doing a lot of filming from a small moving vehicle, try getting a wide angle ( or even fisheye) adapter- it's great for reducing the effect of camera shake and it allows you to see much more of the vehicle you're travelling in.

Nice effort!

Catherine Russell May 23rd, 2007 01:02 PM

Hi Brian:

Excellent piece. You portrayed the patience and waiting for ice fishing wonderfully. When I started to gather what was coming my heart started beating a bit and I actually had to stop your clip at that critical time before I could muster the courage to see it through to the end (way too much of an animal lover here!). I'm relieved you left it up to our imaginations in the end. I liked it.

Cat

Per Johan Naesje May 23rd, 2007 02:44 PM

Brian, excellent video and I think you have the most patient wife I ever seen!
Did she manage to catch any seal?

Brian McKay May 23rd, 2007 03:39 PM

Per:

If she only had that much patients with me LOL. No seal on this day just a lot of fun the two of us out enjoying the great outdoors. Later that same day we saw some seals out suning on the ice, I put on a 300mm lens but the heat waves made the shots useless.

I'll make you a promise Cat I'll never show any animals being harmed in any way...during the shooting of the challeneges. I don't want you to get high blood pressure because of me LOL.

Thanks Brian

Ruth Happel May 23rd, 2007 09:21 PM

At first when I watched this I had a flashback to an earlier entry from you, and thought- wow, it's still winter up there. You are getting very creative with entries involving snow and ice!

I really like this film. The way you have the patience contrasted with the movement in the background- two opposite people, is funny. And you captured some beautiful imagery of the north, with the snow and ice. A great film. And I'm sure you do have at least two weeks of summer there- better hope it coincides with UWOL #4 :)

Ruth

Gabriel Yeager May 24th, 2007 12:26 AM

Haha, nice job Brian!

You did look bored to death there. hahaha. :D

So have you guys ever caught one? Or was the gear just borrowed for this?

Whats your guys longitude, like the 16th degree or something? it looks way up there! I use a Magellan Meridian Gold (GPS). Its a nice little unit. Altho, it has died on me in the cold...

Fun film.. I can't wait for your next one!
~Gabriel