UWOL #3 "Hound" by Oliver Reik at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UWOL #3 "Hound" by Oliver Reik

Hello!

My movie shows some kind of different interpretation of the theme "The wild".

I have made a short documentation about the fascinating and beautiful training with a hound. None of the two dog owners is a hunter, however they love to be outdoors with their dog and do some training. Just for fun - obviously for all three of them. :-)

You can find the movie in UWOL resolution on the UWOL website, the 720p WMV-version can be downloaded here:

http://www.freedive.de/video/hound_training.zip 108 MB

Just dowload and unzip it. And - have fun! :-D

I am looking forward to your feedback, especially as this was the first time for me to do a movie, following some kind of story-book.

Regards,
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great job Oliver. As the owner of two Labs that I'm training I really enjoyed your film.
The one thing I might add is to be careful when stacking audio tracks as things can get very loud very quickly.
Once again, I really enjoyed your entry.

Bruce
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Trustee

I think you've made a great training video for dogs, Oliver.
The mix between german and english work fine and gives it a touch of being different and professional. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Interesting and informative film....for me however it is Off topic, unless I've missed something. Some nice shots in there although the white balance seemed to be a little yellow in a few of them, also the audio levels went a stray especially with the noise of the stream.

Good job.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi!

Thank you very much for your helpful feedback, especially regarding the sound. Next time I will take more care of this issue. :-)

Off topic - hmmm - as the theme was 'The wild' and not 'Wilderness' and because I knew that everybody will shoot footage about the wilderness, I thought a little documentation about a 'wild' dog, out there in the 'wilderness', would meet the theme and be something different.

Regards,

Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Oliver:

Good film with great cinematography. I agree with Mat that it doesn't quite fit the theme and the narration was lost with the stream in the background. It was however, an all around good film.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Great training video Oliver.
And the use of both German and English made it even better.
I'm looking forward to see your future uwol videos.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I was struck as being "off theme", initially, but can see how use of the dog is necessary in the wilds, too. The dogs are great to watch with the camera angles chosen. Super job... I have to say the European contingent is becoming formidable in this competition and its a lot of fun to see it !!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM   #9
Major Player

I enjoyed the film, really felt what it was like to be a dog out enjoying the wild. For me it seemed on topic, since you could either see it as being from a canine perspective, and there's no reason a dog can't be wild. Or from the point of view of the people out enjoying the woods with him.

I couldn't catch the very last narration over the stream, but other than that, the audio worked well, with narration and natural sounds. The footage was very nice, giving a clear view of the dog and how it moves. It was a good instructional video, but also fun to watch just to see the joie de vivre of the dog outdoors.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
although the white balance seemed to be a little yellow in a few of them
I confess I haven't seen the movie, but I thought it interesting that you would mention 'a little yellow' in the WB. I guess they're officially called 'YELLOW' labs for a reason. Just a little humor Mat, don't take me too seriously. BTW, I have a beautiful, well trained female black lab.

-gb-
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL #3 "Hound" by Oliver Reik-misty.jpg  
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #11
Trustee

Being "dogless" at this time, but nevertheless a lover and respecter of dogs, I thoroughly enjoyed your film.

Cinematography was very well done with a variety of angles, several of which got us down to the dog's level of perspective.

The dog did well, too. Appeared to follow direction as any good actor and "star" should.

I like what you showed us.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:52 AM   #12
Wrangler

a dog video, outstanding! my favorite genre, automatic winner! the rest of you punters need to get out there and get some dog footage.

here's a link to my DVC dog short, since we're all lab-lovers here:

http://ia300131.us.archive.org/2/ite...WideScreen.mov

labs rule!

greg boston, i'm glad to finally see Misty in full color. it's about time. she *is* a handsome girl.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
greg boston, i'm glad to finally see Misty in full color. it's about time. she *is* a handsome girl.
I thought I had already showed her picture here somewhere. I was using her the other night for camera practice. Having her run away and towards me on retrieve makes for a nice manual zoom/focus exercise. She is far and away the best animal I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

BTW, that pic is a frame grab from the JVC100.

-gb-
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #14
Wrangler

Just had a chance to watch it. Of course I love it, but I'm biased. Very true about Labs wanting to have a job all the time. They love to work and please their master. Using the plastic grocery bags (not heavily loaded), Misty helps carry groceries from the car in the garage to the kitchen.

I've never had a dog this smart and it's scary sometimes just how much she 'gets it'.

Okay, enough gushing for now.

-gb-
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM   #15
Major Player

Amazing, interesting and throughly enjoyable film. I can guarantee my wife will be in tears when she sees it ( she loves labradors!!). The editing was spot on, as i didnt notice a thing and just sat back and enjoyed it.I did feel the narration was a little rushed in places, but your use of english and the audio levels over the interviews was perfect.
Thanks, I really enjoyed that!!!

Cheers,
Rob Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge