DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#3 "Go Wild" by Ruth Happel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/94707-uwol-3-go-wild-ruth-happel.html)

Ruth Happel May 22nd, 2007 10:44 AM

UWOL#3 "Go Wild" by Ruth Happel

Hi,

I shot this video in the woods behind our home with my daughter "going wild" for a day. I experimented with a couple new things for this contest, including using music as a background (Sony Cinescore), and editing together multiple takes as a video montage. It was a lot of fun, both getting the footage, and editing.

Here are the links to the movies-

Quicktime version- http://rockfowl.com/videos/reh_GoWild.mov
Windows Media- http://rockfowl.com/videos/GoWildHD.wmv

Ruth

Geir Inge May 22nd, 2007 10:57 AM

You always make something special out of your films, and that I like.
This one was a little bit different then the two first ones, though. No talking trees or plants :) But the girl is very clever as an actress.
Thank you for sharing and inspiration.

Ruth Happel May 22nd, 2007 11:00 AM

Thanks for your comments! I guess I realized after doing talking plants and dogs, it might be easier just to have a talking girl. And the plants and dog were taking the day off :)

Rick A. Phillips May 22nd, 2007 11:03 AM

All right...the Wild Child is at it again! Seriously enjoyed your film, Ruth. Robin really adds a nice touch...she seems like she really enjoys doing this and it's great that you two can spend time together having fun. Thanks for sharing your work.

Rick

Catherine Russell May 22nd, 2007 11:06 AM

Hi Ruth:

Nicely done. Your home environment is beautiful! Is this your daughter? My, Hollywood next? She did great.

Nice editing and special effects. Thank you for a peaceful watch!

Cat

Ruth Happel May 22nd, 2007 01:01 PM

Rick- Thanks. it is fun doing these videos together with my daughter, she really enjoys it, and I do, too. It's a good way to spend time, and we both like being out in the woods.

Cat- I'm happy you enjoyed the film. It is nice having wilderness literally in my backyard. And my daughter is enjoying being a movie star! So it is fun for both of us. I tried some effects in this I hadn't tried before, so I'm glad you liked them. Video editing has come a long way since I was last immersed in it 15 years ago, so it's fun to explore all the options.

Trond Saetre May 22nd, 2007 05:52 PM

From your previous uwol films, I expected some talking trees or flowers, but instead a young actress showed up.

Your video is in my top5! Your daughter is a great actress. (Hollywood next?)
It was pretty wild, and again you managed to make me laugh.
Thank you for bringing the fun stuff into nature video!
Nice music too.

Chris Barcellos May 22nd, 2007 06:08 PM

Looks like we are going to have a "regular" nature guide here on UWOL. Nice job with filming, and keeping the piece cogent.... Scenes were set up well, but maybe needed a bit more variety in type of locations. Robyn kind of reminded me of a leprechaun in the forest. Lots of fun...

Kevin Railsback May 22nd, 2007 07:51 PM

Ruth,

Your films never fail to put a smile on my face. This one had a bigger smile than usual. :)

The only thing I'm really upset about is now I'm doing kicks and saying "Go Wild"! :) My wife doesn't think I'm very funny though.

Not only are your films fun but you can plainly see that they're just as much fun to create as they are to watch.

I think the funky walking on the log was my favorite. The walking stick bit was pretty good too! :)

Thanks again for putting yet another smile on this weary face!

Rob Evans May 23rd, 2007 07:32 AM

Hi Ruth,

Watched your film and it really made me smile - enchanting.

But i have to admit, i was almost expecting an ewok to burst out of the scenery closely pursued by a speeder bike ;-) Thats a good thing.

Keep em coming.

Rob

Mat Thompson May 23rd, 2007 07:51 AM

What a nice way to take a look along this trail !! A kids eye few...fun and games :) Some very well exposed shots in there. Good stuff!

Ruth Happel May 23rd, 2007 12:22 PM

Trond- I'm glad you liked it. My daughter also really enjoys this, and after being the voice of the bushes and dogs, I think especially liked playing herself for a change :) I like to keep it fun, for me and hopefully the viewer.

Chris- Glad you enjoyed it. I had some other scenes but basically decided to go with a sort of feel of just a walk in the forest to show her moving away from civilization into the wilderness as a slow adjustment. When I tried cutting in anything more, it took away from the pensive, slow transition mood I was trying to create.

Kevin- Glad it made you laugh. For some reason these UWOL challenges are bringing out my silly side. Letting Robin improvise just adds to that!

Rob- Okay, for the next film I'll put out a casting call for an ewok.

Mat- Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad her sense of fun came through in the video.

Gabriel Yeager May 23rd, 2007 10:47 PM

Nicely put together Ruth! It looked like you had it all planed out...

Your daughter looks like she had abit of fun doing this with you.. Thats cool.

The "bridge" was rather cool looking. I have not seen anything like that in this part.

Cool stuff! Keep up the good work!
~Gabriel

Per Johan Naesje May 24th, 2007 12:10 AM

Ruth,
second what have been said about your entry. Your daughter has a great talent, Hollywood next I guess!

Jeff Hendricks May 24th, 2007 07:22 AM

Ruth,

Nice to see the vibrant "Wild Child" again. I wonder how she is feeling now that she is becoming famous...

What I really love about your films is the sound quality. Very, very crisp audio. So how did you capture that? Lav mic? Really good shotgun? Very rich audio and beautiful scenery in this piece. I like the story line, how she was distracted by the sounds of cars and "civilization" and went off into the wilderness to escape. My kind of girl :)

really terrific stuff

Jeff