UWOL #3 "Fort Chadbourne" by Bruce Foreman - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
Nice job Bruce! Thanks for the little history piece!

Was that live rounds in the rifles, or was it just blanks?
Either black powder or Pyrodex subsitute with soft wad to enclose the powder in the barrel. I'm thinking black powder because they would load a charge from a powder flask on a sling. Pyrodex I've seen comes in pellets (developed for modern muzzle loading hunting rifles).

Even though no projectile was loaded, they still herded all spectators off to the side before doing a demonstration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
Canons can be so loud! Someone fired one off last year near me and I thought they were joking, but they were not and when it went off I felt like passing out... Not fun. I guess I should pay more attention next time...

Great job!
~Gabriel
The camcorder did not record how loud they really were. Those cannon will literally rattle one's fillings.

Looks like I'll be doing more of this. At a conference on a Fort Concho video project yesterday I was asked if I would consider doing a training video for crews on period artillery.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #17
Major Player

This was definitely a different and exciting take on the wild. I liked the way the film started out in a totally historical way, like a western, then looped through the juxtaposition of the actors looking like they were from the past mingling with everyday people, and then ended going back in time. Some of the events were really exciting that you captured on film. This will be a great piece for a visitor center, and a documentary- good luck with your work on both of those.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Evans View Post
great documentary of how things used to be , nice shots and great action. Keep em coming!!
It's made easier by the fact that most of these re-enactors take their history pretty seriously and try to keep things as accurate and authentic as possible.

So these folks kept me "straight".

It was also a great help that the event at Fort Chadbourne (out in the country) is much smaller than the big ones at Fort Concho (in San Angelo city limits) and visitors are allowed out on the parade grounds while cavalry and Texas Rangers ride around in formation.

As a result of this short I've come to the attention of the Director of Education at Fort Concho and his attention to historic detail is very strict.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Happel View Post
This was definitely a different and exciting take on the wild. I liked the way the film started out in a totally historical way, like a western, then looped through the juxtaposition of the actors looking like they were from the past mingling with everyday people, and then ended going back in time. Some of the events were really exciting that you captured on film. This will be a great piece for a visitor center, and a documentary- good luck with your work on both of those.

Ruth
You're the first to comment on the "mingling" of past and present aspect. I could have carefully made all of my clips so as to not show vehicles in the background or folks in modern dress, but the appeal of this kind of event is that the re-enactors make themselves available to folks who want to get close and ask questions.

Toddlers love to be held up so they can pet the horses and folks get a close look at clothing and accessories.

The past can and does mingle with the present so I deliberately allowed people in modern dress to show.

And Ruth, I enjoyed your entry also. That young lady of yours gets more charming with each project you do.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
bruce, you definitely win for "most consistently unique approach to whatever themes i toss out there...."

is that a category??
I don't suppose there's a tee shirt for that, too? (kidding of course)
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge