DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#3 'My Call to the Wild" by Dave Trainer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/94747-uwol-3-my-call-wild-dave-trainer.html)

Dave Trainer May 22nd, 2007 07:47 PM

UWOL#3 'My Call to the Wild" by Dave Trainer

G'day all, great to wake up and find all the films ready for download, (still in the process and looking forward to viewing them.)

with such a wide topic as 'the wild' my head was spinning for days with different possibilities... finally decided on the theme to give you a glimpse into my life when I head off to the ocean and get wet. I wanted to give you all a first underwater experience and was very lucky with the wildlife that was seen. Hope you all enjoy.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Dave.

Kevin Railsback May 22nd, 2007 08:02 PM

Dave,

Really enjoyed the film.

For me, I would have skipped the beginning and got right to the water.
I would rather have seen closeups of gauges being checked, equipment being strapped on etc. All the things that you need to do to enter this strange and wonderful world.

I almost felt myself holding my breath when you first took us under the waves.

Really nice underwater work. The only thing I'd say is that there was a shot or two where the water looked very clear and the rest were kind of murky maybe due to the surf or something. So, it kind of didn't match for me.

Congrats on being the first underwater entry too by the way. :-)

The diversity of the wildlife was really nice to see. I always thought sea dragons were uber cool. :)

Give us some more underwater delights in UWOL4!!!

Chris Barcellos May 22nd, 2007 08:12 PM

I thought it was kind of cool seeing the trip to your wild area...

In fact it was all quite daring and wild given that you were driving on the wrong side of the road all the way, too.... :)

I felt it gave a great feel to me about where you live and what you have to do to get to your "wilds".

Geir Inge May 22nd, 2007 11:31 PM

Hi Dave.
I liked your film very much, especially the last part, under water.
The music mixed with the watersound was great.
Some great coloured fish you got there.
I can see that the jellyfish has a round shape, so I reckon it's not a "killerjelly"? Is it a stingray in the end of the film?
Maybe you should have short'n the "driving to the shore" a bit.
All in all, a great film.

Mat Thompson May 23rd, 2007 07:33 AM

YEAH !!! Uwol finally goes underwater....a big congrats :) Great film Dave, I have to agree with Kevin I'd have cut down the speeding through traffic stuff a bit but it did give it a feel of going on a journey. Looks like you weren’t too deep and the vis wasn’t so good but you still captured some nice shots, maybe a bit more exposure on a few shots but it tough I bet. What camera and housing are you using? The stingray shot is a great...so graceful...it looks close too, what sort of focal length were you shooting at? I'd have like to have seen some more cutting to details but hey what your doing is tough enough as it is. I've started diving about 6 months ago and hope to get an underwater rig at some point.

Great stuff fella....I'm off to watch it again :)

Meryem Ersoz May 23rd, 2007 07:45 AM

welcome to UWOL, david, you're clearly making a splash har har. i love underwater footage. once you start shooting it, you realize how hard it is.

i have a shoot with my splash bag in july. totally looking forward to it!

Bruce Ellingwood May 23rd, 2007 09:51 AM

Very cool with the underwater footage. Liked it.

Bruce

Rob Evans May 23rd, 2007 11:19 AM

Chilled. Lovely to see some really great underwater stuff, it's so far away from what i do ( or where i live doh! ). Chilled soundtrack, and liked the intro, gave a good juxtaposition of where you can be within a few hours. Nice work!

Steven Gotz May 23rd, 2007 11:54 AM

Another one that kept my eyes glued to the monitor. Nice job.

Trond Saetre May 23rd, 2007 12:21 PM

I love underwater video!
Nice music, and the shot of the stingray was great!

The car drive intro was a bit long to me. I think I would have cut away everything before the last part where you see the ocean in the background.

A good video. Well done!

Catherine Russell May 23rd, 2007 12:39 PM

Dave:

Wonderful film. Being land-locked, under the ocean is a dreamworld. The first time I played this I had no audio for some reason, and I was still captivated! I didn't realize you had it until I saw the credits at the end and went back through for the full audio/visual thrill. Great film.

Cat

Ruth Happel May 23rd, 2007 09:34 PM

That was really fun to watch. The music added to the dreamy underwater feel, a perfect match. Some of your wildlife shots were spectacular, especially the stingray. I have shot underwater some with a camera and know the challenges, so it was really impressive footage. I hope we see more sea creatures from you- hmmm, sounds like a tongue twister. Great job.

Ruth

Dave Trainer May 23rd, 2007 11:13 PM

Hi thanks all for the feedback and comments. dive almost did not take place as the night before as i was preparing my uw hosing the electronics decided to pack up!!!! (the housing is custom built for a sony trv) so i had to shoot without any controls, the camera was set to auto hence some of the fuzzyness is some of the shots.

look forward to showing some more of the amazing uw world to you all.

Dave.

Per Johan Naesje May 24th, 2007 12:14 AM

Hi Dave,
I really liked your entry, the first underwater submission in this challenge! As said by the other you could have jumped straight into the water. I think you did well showing the wild down under!

Gabriel Yeager May 24th, 2007 12:36 AM

Great job Dave! I rather enjoyed it! i am a water fanatic, so I greatly appreciate this film!

I loved seeing the sea-horse drift in the water heading to its new location. Very cool footage...

I think the hole thing was great! And I liked the intro.. I thought it was kind of a neat way to start it off.. The music was great too, it was a nice fit!

The text at the end is cool, did you make that?

Keep on bringing the water! :D
~Gabriel