UWOL #3 "Lucid" by Andrew Hood - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #16
Major Player

Absolutely captivating. I have been thinking about you film for quite some time. My favorite films are ones that make me think about them for days afterward, yours did that for me.

For me the film had the touch of "A Midsummer's Night Dream" essence, with the surreal look of the dream sequence (colors). I found myself watching it and wanting to hear the dreamer's footsteps and movements and then when he crosses that plain form dream to reality (or vise versa) we suddenly hear the crickets and the backpack drop and his footsteps and....grrrrr.

I always say that people respond to people and their emotions, which makes outdoor nature photography so difficult. You caputred the human emotion in us and captivated an audience with that sence of wonder, anticipation and primeval fear (as you can tell from the everyone's comments).

And by the way...who cares about compression when your film is captivating it is captivating regardless of how it looks. It is the feeling and story that count. I thought the grain added to the film anyway.

Beautiful job,

Jeff
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Trustee

Hi Andrew:

One last comment and then that's it! Per mentioned that you had a good film but that the ending was predictable. Wouldn't it have been fun to end it by cutting back to the very beginning just as he looks into the tree. It would still be thrilling and leave it up to our imaginations as to what was going on... was he trapped in an endless cycle of a nightmare? Will he finally ever find out what is in the hole? Is it real or fiction? You know, it would keep the thrill but also keep the question instead of spoon-feeding us the end. But I had great fun with this one and felt you developed the suspense so very well. Okay, that's it, no more from me!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #18
Trustee

I enjoyed this one just as you did it. I like it so much I'd like to show it to our local photography club.

Email asking permission sent.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #19
Wrangler

where are you shooting from, andrew, if you don't mind my asking? you mention kangaroos and wallabies, so i'm guessing Australia, but you don't list your location in your profile. if i had to guess, i would have said the US pacific northwest, because everything looks big and wild.

if you don't want to locate yourself, that's cool. it's just such a strange landscape. this film seems to have stayed on my mind long after i viewed it, which is unusual.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #20
Major Player

Wow, I wasn't expecting better feedback than my usual DVC entries, but I suppose I put more effort in, in the end.

Cat; that's an idea I hadn't even considered. Maybe I need an alternate ending.

Bruce; I've sent a reply, that's no problem.

Meryem; I was sure my profile used to say where I was from. Anyway, I live in the south eastern region of Australia. And even south east Victoria for that matter, in an area called the Latrobe Valley. Which used to be a big swamp, which is why we have coal to make power from. A mixture of primary industry and country. Yeah we have kangaroos, koalas, lyrebirds, wombats, and native birds all pretty close to home. Mountains and ocean are both about an hour away for the closest ones. So not a bad place to have choice of terrain/location.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge