"Making of" a UWOL film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #1
Major Player

"Making of" a UWOL film

Hi all,
Following on from Per's footage of his jib in action, I had a bit of an idea for the next UWOL, I'm gonna try to shoot a "making of" diary-type film to go alongside the entry ( not as a serperate entry of course ;-) )- following the planning, shooting and editing of the piece, how i got the shots i ( hopefully ) wanted, how i came up with ideas and any challenges that presented themselves along the way. I thought it might be interesting to show this side of things!

Anyone think thats a good idea? Want to join me in doing one too?

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Rob,
I think this is a good idea, especially when you make some footage which is not so common. Your macro setup in the previous challenge would have been very nice to watch!
The UWOL-Challenge is also about to learn technique from each other. I will definitive make "behind the scenes" footage from time to time in future challenges.

But I think this is something that you have to do on your own. I'm not sure if Meryem, Kevin or Mat will love to be involved in hosting these clips too?
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #3
New Boot

Great idea Rob, have often thought of doing something similar but always after ive completed a project which is a little to late. not to sure on time availability for doing it in this next challenge but would be very interesting to see the 'going about' business each of us puts into our creations.
Dave Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

it's a great idea, but until we find outside funding for our website, you'll have to host these on your own space and post links to your "making of" video on your feedback thread. you'll likely get a bunch of hits to your "making of" short, because we are junkies around here for "making of" movies. everyone likes looking at gear!

it's actually a good idea for one of our Challenges--maybe down the road we will have a contest which incorporates a "making of" component into it. that would be fun. many participants don't own two cameras, which would be required to make one of these, so we would have to make it a bonus component of some sort, to keep the playing field fair. like an add-on, not the primary focus of the contest.

but by all means, make them, put them up in your feedback thread, and let us watch you and your gear at work. we love it! even "making of" production stills would be appreciated, for those of you who might only have access to a point n shoot still camera.

plus, DVinfo lets you attach stills to your feedback thread without a charge. we should take advantage of chris' generosity.

Last edited by Meryem Ersoz; June 26th, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Major Player

RE: Bandwidth - yeah I wouldn't want to burden the UWOL team with that weight too ;-)

As the quality won't be so important on these, youtube or some other vid.com site would be perfect....

Cheers!

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Great idea Rob.
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Trustee

It's a great idea, Rob.
Personally I find this issue as much difficult as to make the uwol film, because of the time schedule, the planning, the need of an extra camera, etc.
In uwol#3 I tried to make a behind scene, but in fact it's not, just some rejected scenes, though I found it difficult to pic what scenes to show and that I didn't plan it in the beginning when theme was advertised.
Obviously we have to use our own server space, YouTube, or something similar. 1th July to 13th July I'm de-escalating work and holiday starts on 14th july, then I'm off to Sweden with my family :)
This leaves me just 5 - 6 days in making my contribution for uwol#4.
So I'm praying the weather conditions will be on my side OR that Meryem give us something that includes water :)
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Trustee

My behind the scenes video would consist of me staring blankly at my computer screen. Followed by my walking out the door telling my wife I'm going out filming. She would reply "What are you going to film?" To which I would reply " Heck if I know." Followed with me walking around looking desperate to find even a mushroom or a lone duck.

Then there's be a couple shots of me filming before mentioned mushroom and or duck followed by my racing home at warp factor 15. Then I'd spend about an hour editing and then I'd upload the file with minutes to spare.

Yep, that sounds about how it would go. :)
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
it's a great idea, but until we find outside funding for our website, you'll have to host these on your own space and post links to your "making of" video on your feedback thread.

US Name Reserve (Time Lake Films' sister company) would be proud to host this ~providing the space and bandwidth for free. All I ask is for a blurb or logo somewhere indicating the host.

www.usnamereserve.com
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Might turn out to be just as interesting as the UWOL film itself! I think it's a great idea. Looking forward to watching this and good luck with you challenge entry.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge