UWOL#4 - "Something Fishy" by Ruth Happel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL#4 - "Something Fishy" by Ruth Happel

This is my contest entry for UWOL #4, based on a theme of water. The video is introduced by a mammal (harbor seal) and then stays true to theme. Well, the jellyfish only qualify through their name, but they sneaked in. I added some of my natural sound recordings to a Cinescore soundtrack to simulate the otherworldly feel of diving into the ocean. The video concludes with a fish waving goodbye with its fins. Because I'm going on vacation, this entry is posted early. It is the fastest I've completed an entry, and the time constraints precluded talking fish, though I had planned out a script for that. Maybe next water theme.....

I am leaving tomorrow for NY and will be there beyond the end of this contest, so I wanted to post my feedback thread early. I will make sure to post my entry to the UWOL site when I get the go-ahead, while in NY. It is already uploaded to my website and ready to go. Since I'll only have intermittent internet access while in NY, I wanted to make sure everything is set.

I'll be watching the other films and will comment as time permits- my internet access when the contest ends will probably be through a library in upstate NY, so it may take time to watch them all, but I will. So far, I've watched and commented on every UWOL film, which I think is a really important part of the experience. I've learned a lot through feedback on my films. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone explores the water theme!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

the fish were amazing!! Were they in a tank or did you go down and get them all???

I would have liked some natation/information!! Just because they are so alien to me!!

thank you for sharing such cool footage.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Ruth:

Nice fish footage and so different from all of your other films! I've never seen the type of fish that scoops up rocks, sifts them and throws them back out through it's gills. WOW!

If you could have faded out the edges you would never know you were filming into a tank, it would have felt like you were right out there swimming with them!

Fun video!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Ruth,

Nice film. I was expecting the fish to start talking though! :) What a great vehicle for an environmental message.

I've kept most of the fish you had in your film at one time or another. I used to keep a 90 gallon reef tank for many years.

I'm not a diver but after the seal shouldn't the water audio changed as we went "under water"? It sounded like we were still above water. Maybe someone who dives can answer that one.
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Trustee

This defines the UW in UWOL I think, very nice Ruth.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Major Player

good stuff ruth....i felt like you took me below the waves. not to be nit pickey but the music just didn't work for me something smoother would have added to the finished product.

brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Major Player

I could put this on a loop throw it on my TV and relax to the sounds of the waves and watching the fish swim by. Soothing.

Okay, filmed in either the Scripps Aquarium near San Diego or in the Marine World Aquarium in Cresent City. Am I right?...

Anyway relaxing and enjoyable piece...thanks

Jeff
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the comments. I finally got to a wi-fi Starbucks today with my laptop, so will respond to comments so far, and will look at films later this week and add my own comments to all your contributions.

Dale, they were in an aquarium. I would have liked to add narration, but ran out of time since I left for vacation in NY on the 5th.

Catherine, yes, those fish were neat. Filming so close, I saw lots of detail... maybe too much?! They were gobies.

Kevin, thanks for the comments. A 90 gallon reef tank must have been fun. I've got a few smaller tanks, all with freshwater. The way I did the audio, I added in my own wave sounds and had them fade out in deep underwater, with the jellyfish, then fade in and out as I moved up or down in the ocean. Probably could have fine tuned it more, but was going for the general effect. Robin and I worked out a complicated and funny script with additional footage where she would have voiced the finny creatures, but we ran out of time and had to pack for our trip. She will be back in future films. By the way, for everyone who said she was headed to Hollywood, a video demo we did for FOX got 2 calls for her to audition to the show, Are You Smarter than A Fifth Grader? But we didn't go to LA- headed for vacation in NY instead. Maybe still in her future...

Marco- Glad you liked it.

Brian- Sorry the music didn't work for you. I had hoped to do animal music, but again ran out of time since this was a short window for me. I will plan to do it for the next video.

Jeff- Actually, it was the Seattle aquarium. They have great exhibits there. Seemed appropriate for the theme. I'm glad you found it relaxing.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Ruth
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Ruth.
Some great fishes you’ve captured. Also great music and your editing, nicely done. As others have mentioned, I missed your rare voices :) but then again you show me not to expect the expected. Keep on filming, but don’t forget your tiny voices :)

Geir Inge
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Ruth,
Well this was a wonderful account of the marine life you experienced that day - with your friendly seal looking on curiously.
I loved the colours and choices you made in putting this video together, in terms of the diversity of marine animals. The jelly fish shot was very nice and also the "Blenny" (is that what it is called) searching for food within the stones.
Shame your entry was relatively short as I was getting very comfortable watching everything that was going on.
Very nice...
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Major Player

David- Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked the colors. Usually I try making it longer, but as noted, this entry was all done in just a few days as I got ready for NY. Future entries will be longer again.

And Geir- Yes, future videos will come back with voices. My daughter and I had planned out a very funny narrative- mainly with her creativity, about how the fish were investigating a crime. But since we had to pack and leave the next day, that took priority. We may do it again in the fall and if so I'll post it on my website. But she and her voice will be back for future UWOL films- thanks for noticing to miss that! :)

Ruth
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Ruth,
Underwater film is always very cool to watch.
You showed us a great film of those fishes.
(I kinda was waiting for the talking fishes, but I guess they were on vacation this time, haha)
Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:39 AM   #13
Trustee

Ruth, stunning video on exotic fish. Just courious did you whitebalence this in a special way, the colors was so nice?
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Trond, Yes the talking fish was about to go on vacation and she wanted to start vacation early :) She had lots of good ideas, but they will have to wait until a later version, or the next challenge.

Per- I varied the white balance since the lighting was different in the tanks. The hardest was the jellyfish since the light constantly changed there as part of the display. It took a few tries to get a good balance for all the lighting. Thanks for the comments.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Major Player

Ruth
Well done considering how quick you did it. Did miss the talking fish thou.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge