UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Wow Geir!

Can you teach me to be as good as you!?!?!
6 days!? Thats amazing..

I got to go over there some time and see the sites..

Great little film Geir! I liked the camera in the boat!
~Gabriel
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #17
Trustee

Geir, that was magnificent. Your canoe trip looked beautiful and great shot of the nest. More and more I feel the need to visit you country. It also shows how much pride you have in your country, it really comes through on your videos. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #18
Trustee

Thank you guys for comments and advice. It's all appreciated.
To you Gabriel; I feel I'm learning from you2 and I'm sure you will become, If thats what you want, a great film maker. You're allready on your way. You are the future, I'm almost the past :)

To Bob and John; you're welcome to visit Norway at any time. I guess we all love our countries, the place we are born. Each and every spot on earth have it's own quality I think. Me and my wife love to travel and my favorite vacation hobby is history. Just ask my girls, they are more into sun bathing, swimming and shopping :)

To Mat; I'm working on my structure, I feel that I must work a bit harder on my editor skills and planning. If you ask my wife I'm not sure she will agreed, that I'm working on it, at home I'm a bit lazy too :)

No lecturing, and I'm not sure if I should say this in DVforum,
but I can't help thinking about our theme this time. As we are trying to make a 3 min film out of water, so many people are struggling around the world.
In China houndreds of people have died because of the flood, and thousands standing with no home left. In England many thousands of people have no drinking water and been evacuated from their homes. In Sudan it's the same. In our country, Norway, we also had a flood this month, in the eastern part and people evacuated from their homes. I just think it's so sad for all those people. It shows how important it is to take care of our environmental surroundings.
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Geir Inge and welcome back after your vacation!
Your film was truly nice to watch, I feel like home when I viewed it! This was the places you showed me when I visited you earlier this summer.
But where was Ottar, I missed him in your film...?!
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #20
Major Player

Geir Inge,
Yes, you make realy good movie for ouwer old contry.
And I myst say i love yore freedom Geir Inge that song was goog.
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #21
Trustee

Thank you Vidar and Per Johan.

Vidar; I've tried to translate the first verse of "Nordmannen/Mellom bakkar og berg", but I'm not sure if I made it right.

In between hills and Alps by the ocean
The Norwegians located their homes
On his own with his hands he’s been digging
Build his home on the land lot by himself
(or)
Put the house on emplacement by himself

Per Johan; the sea otter was there all right but I did just get a short clip of him before he disapeared. He was swimming under the sea house where the kittiwakes breed. It's strange when I'm filming I'm so busy following through the view finder that I forget about whats around me. Anyone else doing the same? Most of this film I'm using my Panasonic DVX camera, it was the first time filming from a canoe I didn't dear to use my XLH1, at first. But then I get "brave" and used it for my last sequences, you can tell by the tip of my canoe is a bit shorter on the XLH1 clips. I get some beautiful shots from the canoe of the "blue hour", just before the sunset, but I will use them in my project I'm working on. There is one of them though, at the end. The same with some clips of the sea house, I've left a picture of it in this tread.

PS
I'm planning a visit to Runde next week, to see if I can get some clips of the Puffins feeding their chicks.
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #22
Major Player

Geir, thanks again for sharing your wonderful country and way of life with us.
My only complaint is, this could have quite easily been a 30minute documentary ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #23
Major Player

Geir Inge,
I myst corect my bad englih,the song was rely good.(Not goog)
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Geir Inge, this was another master piece from you.
Well done!!

Nice singing. It made your great film even better.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #25
Trustee

Here's a link to a bigger file of my Uwol#4 entry:
QT-file: Born by the sea
WMV-file: Born by the sea

Rob; thank you for nice words, I wish I had more time at the editing process though. As for the documentary issue, I've been working on a documentary film for at least a year now, from this area. That's why I'm not using all of my shots in my Uwol#4 entry :) I left out some pretty nice one, taken with my XLH1 camera. Not sure when I'll be finishing my wildlife film, but maybe autumn next year.

Trond; thank you for comments to my singing and video, I appreciate it a lot.

Vidar; we're in the same boat when it comes to English writing. I'm sitting with the English translator beside me :) Her's a link/online translator:

http://www.tritrans.net/indexno.html
and
http://www.translation-guide.com/fre...ian&to=English
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Geir the singing oarsmen? again lovely seans of sky and across to the Island, I bet that fish was taste
was it a Bass.
Ron Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM   #27
Major Player

Geir,

This was great. I felt like I was right in the boat with you. and your singing made it feel very personal, even more allowing the viewer to join you in your journey. It was fun how your friend ended up being a kittiwake, since I view animals as friends, too. A great film, with lots of wonderful perspectives, and a fun relaxing feel. This was a lot of fun to watch!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #28
Trustee

Well, it's been a while since the uwol4 finished but I have to give my thanks to Ruth and Ron. Lately I've been busy because 1.october I'm starting in my new job as a team leader, so theres a lot to catch up and a lot to finish in my on going job (hope this make sence in English).

Thank you Ruth for your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyd my little trip in my canoe. The singing wasn't planned, but some how I just felt like singing with all that great nature surrounding me :)

Thank you Ron, not a bass but a pollack (pollachius pollachius) and YES, very tasteful :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge