UWOL#4 - "A Wish for Water" by David Gemmell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL#4 - "A Wish for Water" by David Gemmell

My UWOL entry is based on the Australian drought - which has now lasted 8 years! The country has been parched for so long and everything has been brown and dusty - until we received good winter rains in the last month.

My entry looks at the before and after, with a message of hope. I have also tried to show the wonders that rain brings in the form of lush vegitation and birdlife.

Unfortunately, my editing and compression skills have detracted from the finished product - with the quality no where near as good as the original. However, I guess we all have that gripe. My new XL H1 also decided it does not like the cold (anything below 4 degrees or so), and has now been sent of for repairs. This did not help at all!

I hope you do like my entry and I look forward to your feedback, as well as viewing all of your entries.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Trustee

This sound like a very nice premise. Perfect for 3 minutes .....looking forward to seeing this one :)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mat,
Yes, I am pleased with the approach - I only hope the subject material is broad enough (already I am starting to think of all the things I could have done).
I think my movie will bring back some fond memories for you...I won't say any more.
Looking forward to seeing your entry.
All the best.
David
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Now I'm really intrigued....ya bugger !
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

you have some beautiful footage here. my favorite is the kingfisher (so colorful compared to ours) and the pel;eican footage was very nice!!

Keep up the good work!!
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Trustee

David,

We started out with very similar intro's and I darn near used the same music score at the beginning as you did!

You had some very striking scenics and visuals, colors and compositions excellent.

Glad there is some hope there. We in West Texas are coming out of several years of drought and water shortages although we've probably had more periodic partial relief than you've had.

Your film is very well done in my opinion.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Trustee

David,

The dry lake bed to the blue skies was great color.

I had a little trouble reading the text at first around :26 because it blended in with the light sky reflected in the water.

The roo shot was killer!

It was a little dizzying trying to read the text as you panned.

I liked how your opening score was very forlorn and then changed to a much more upbeat tempo once the rains had fallen. It made you feel what the birds were feeling when they finally found water. It was like a celebration.

Great job!!!
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi David.
This was just a wonderful piece to watch. From the sadness in the beginning to the uplifting piano and survival scenes (Kingfisher) at the end. You’ve done a great job putting this together and it told me how important water is for life. I loved your film from the very beginning to the end – great job!

Geir Inge
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #9
Major Player

David,

Very nice imagery in this film, as it was shot with grace and beauty. The kangaroo shot was sweet! I really would have liked to have heard you speak as opposed to having to read the story, I think that it would have added a bit more emotional/humanistic impact to the piece…and I bet you have a cool Australian accent as well.

I enjoyed it very much thank you

Jeff
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi David

Well I was looking foward to this one as I loved the premise. Did you deliver....well I love a lot of your photography. The roo shot (Roo's have always been a personal fav) and your Aussie Kingfisher is very cool indeed, can't believe it came back to the same perch to eat its fish.....oh if only !! :-) The pink breasted parrots, whatever there name is for real were great to and it was great to see them taking a well needed drink. For me it fell down in 2 ways.

1 The texts, too much, too slow and not punchy enough. I think a narration would have worked well for this and placed it firmly in AUS !

2 The changeover wet to dry - A paning shot with no music and more slow text....I wanted it to be a big build up and then..........release!!! Just as its been such a release and relief to everyone and everything that lives there.

Great stuff
Mat
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Major Player

a very well told "good news" story...excellent.

brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Very nice David! What an excellent film!!

It had a nice story that was with the theme perfectly! I very much enjoyed this one..

I thought the compression looked pretty good!

I do agree that the text was a little hard to read at one point, but it was doable.

Keep up the great stuff!
~Gabriel
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate your feedback and am pleased to hear the overall story of despair moving to one of hope was evident.

The text side of things is something I need to watch in the future and I probably need to give the narration a go. My Scottish voice is quiet deep and doesn't sound as nice as I would like (wish you could download narration from Smartsound).

From my perspective, I had a great time filming with my son (who sat patiently with me for hours on end), and managed to share something with you all. I think the whole UWOL approach is just wonderful and look forward to really spending some more time on my UWOL #5.
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #14
Major Player

David,
It`s fantastic to see how you are making yor movie.This film
was a realy good story.I like the cuting,color and the photo.
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Major Player

Must tell you this is one of the best I have watched so far,Aus is very similar to South Africa in places.well done.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge