DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4 Water's Journey by Bob Safay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99544-uwol-4-waters-journey-bob-safay.html)

Bob Safay July 23rd, 2007 06:04 AM

UWOL #4 Water's Journey by Bob Safay

This short clip was shot in three States. Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. I am lucky that I have a brother in law that lives a few miles from a State Park in NC. It is the first time that I have attempted to do a video using only natural sounds and narration. No music. The movement of water is poetry enough. Bob

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 01:57 PM

Bob,

I do not find you video on the downloaded list of videos!???

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 05:40 PM

Here's the link until Mat can get it fixed...

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...ersjourney.mov

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 04:41 AM

Hi Bob.
As always your films are great pieces of art.
Great dragonfly and your narration was just fine.
I loved your ending with the kids playing.
This is what we want our life on planet earth to be.

Geir Inge

Bob Safay July 26th, 2007 02:27 PM

Geir, thank you. I just returned home from another trip. I my wife and I just got through watching your wonderful canoe ride in Norway. More and more we talk of going there. It looks so beautiful, your videos really show off the beauty of your home. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Dale Guthormsen July 26th, 2007 03:15 PM

Bob,

The camera work was beautiful, the vo was brief and explanatory, tells the story exceptionally well.

I very much enjoyed it!!

Great job

Bob Safay July 27th, 2007 03:16 PM

Anyone know why I am still not posted on the submittions list? Bob

Kevin Railsback July 27th, 2007 07:04 PM

Bob,

I think it's up now.

Mat has been having computer issues so he hasn't been able to take care of it.

I usually don't like to mess with the HTML part since I don't want to screw up something and not know how to fix it. :)

But, I gave it a shot anyway.

You should be good to go now.

Jeff Hendricks July 27th, 2007 09:55 PM

Your video is posted and I really enjoyed it. You have an eye for framing your subjects...the river through the tree comes to mind. My only criticism would be your use of zooms. Especially the first one...it seems so mechanical that it distracted me form the really nice things you were narrating.

My favorite shot was that of the guy rowing up river...

Good rich stuff,

Jeff

Per Johan Naesje July 28th, 2007 02:07 AM

Bob, very nice film! You got a good eye for details and the editing and narrating was professional done!

Kevin Railsback July 28th, 2007 10:26 AM

Bob,

We may have had the same idea but I thought yours turned out great.

Your narration always adds so much. You remind me of listening to Bob Ross. :)

I think it totally worked with just the natural sounds. It gave it a clean, crisp, pure sound. I think with your soothing narration it just worked out perfectly.

I'm not a huge fan of zooms, but if you tilt and zoom at the same time it sometimes works better.

Your films always have an impact on me. Heck, I can still hear you saying "Have you ever really watched the sky." :)

Good job man!

Trond Saetre July 28th, 2007 01:21 PM

Bob, you captured some really nice nature there.
I like the story/voice over...

I think I learned something new about framing the subjects from watching your film.
Thank you.

Bob Safay July 31st, 2007 03:51 AM

Thanks for all the great comments. Jeff, you were right about the zoom. I used the zoom controller on the tripod arm instead of the rocker on the camcorder. Kevin, I enjoy doing VO. Is not the voice, its a good Rode mic. Per, yous still blows me away. These challenges are such a learning experiance, can't wait to see what Meryem has for us next. Bob

Ruth Happel July 31st, 2007 02:41 PM

Thanks for sharing, this was a great film

Ruth