DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4: Water Is Life by Catherine Russell (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99551-uwol-4-water-life-catherine-russell.html)

Catherine Russell July 23rd, 2007 08:24 AM

UWOL #4: Water Is Life by Catherine Russell

Hi guys:

Here is my entry. I missed the sign up deadline so it won't be judged this time around but I'm always excited and thankful for comments! Nothing profound to say about this, but like always, I enjoyed myself beyond measure and am so thrilled to be a part of this group.

Thanks for the watch.

Cat

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...aterislife.mov

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 01:59 PM

I thought you had some nice rreflection footage bit I would have to say that it was used a bit to much and you could have used a bit more variety. Quicker changes and more angles would have helped it a lot!!

glad they let you post it!

Catherine Russell July 24th, 2007 02:03 PM

Hi Dale:

Thanks for the comments. I'm sorry you saw it in this state. It cuts off prematurely and we are trying to work on that. The file has been corrupt somehow, perhaps in the upload. The end was the better part of it. Thanks for the watch, I hope you might take a peek at the end when we have the problems fixed!

Cat

And if it did go to the end, with credits and everything, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THIS!

Catherine Russell July 24th, 2007 05:10 PM

Hi everyone:

Thanks to Kevin, I now have a working movie at the correct link, so .... rip away as the say!

Cheers,

Cat

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 05:13 PM

The link on the UWOLCHALLENGE site works fine now.
I guess maybe next time Cat won't miss the deadline! :)

Glad the glitch was fixed.

Anyway, back to the film...

I like how the fountain was set inside the koi pond. Very cool. The long dissolves really worked because sometimes I didn't realize we were going into another shot as the flowed seamlessly from one to another.

No matter if your a wasp, a koi or posting on this board, we all need water.

Good job Cat!

Catherine Russell July 24th, 2007 05:22 PM

Thanks for the review Kevin... boy I tell you, missing the sign up deadline is just bad karma all the way around, hopefully to be avoided from now on!

I looked for and didn't get a review from you in UWOL3, and I was so hoping I'd get one this time. Comments are not freebies, you've got to earn them. Thanks for this one.

Cat

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 05:35 PM

Well let me go back and check out #3 then! :)

Like I said before, my opinion and $6 will get you a coffee at Starbucks!

Catherine Russell July 24th, 2007 05:46 PM

Oh dear, what was I just saying about bad karma? I didn't expect you to actually go back to uwol3 and watch...

Also, Kevin where is your thread for uwol4? Your film was beautifully done with your time-lapse video and light/dark and color contrasts. You are a master at filming rivers. Did you go to California for the ocean part? PUT UP YOUR UWOL4 THREAD!

Cat

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 05:49 PM

You're just saying that cause I fixed your link! :)

Off to find your UWOL3 thread!

Gabriel Yeager July 25th, 2007 09:17 PM

Hey Cat:

Nice video you got here! Was this all shot in your backyard? That would be really cool if it was! I love Koi's, and the fountain was cool.

I am always amazed by your editing! It blows me away! What do you use to edit?

All in all, nice video! I would maybe recommend a Circular Polarizer if you were to do these kinds of shots again, if you have the spare money.
I don't have one, but I sure would like one. They seem to do the job pretty nice..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback (Post 717986)
Like I said before, my opinion and $6 will get you a coffee at Starbucks!

Lol! Okay, this one is going to stay in my head for a long time.. lol!

Look forward to your next!
~Gabriel

David Gemmell July 26th, 2007 03:10 AM

Hi Catherine,
Been watching your past entries and always been impressed by your creations.
As always, your editing skills were exceptional in this entry - including the very slow disolves.
Very creative use of the theme (as always) and great use of the fish and water - with the globe to bring home the message at the end.
Nice entry - well done.

Catherine Russell July 26th, 2007 08:53 AM

Hi Gabriel and Dave:

Oh thanks for the input! I was beginning to think I was off the beaten track and off the comment loop.

Gabe, what is a circular polarizer? It sounds cool, like does it blur things around the edges in a circle? How would you use it if you had one. Thanks for the input and the advice!

Dave, what can I say, I'm humbled by your kind words. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Cat

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 09:06 AM

Hi Catherine.
Though you're not competing this time I just have to comment your film.
Nicely done and you're doing some great stuff in the editing prosess.
Specially I liked the wasp :) By the way, I hope it didn't sting you?
It seems to me that you are a "fountain" of ideas and inspiration, at least you are an inspiration to me, so thanks for sharing.
Sorry that you missed the deadline, your film would have been a great contribution. Hope this will be a reminder when uwol5 comes around :)

All the best.

Geir Inge

Rob Evans July 26th, 2007 09:28 AM

Hey Cat,
Good stuff, you have a very cool way of using effects with subtlety, which in my eyes adds to their impact. At first I thought it was a little bit random, but I settled down and enjoyed it. I can feel you're building up to something spectacular with this experementation - don't make me wait too long ;-)

Cheers,

Rob

Catherine Russell July 26th, 2007 10:01 AM

Hi Geir and Rob:

Getting comments from you both is a real thrill because you are both top of the line film makers and producers.

Geir, as always your words are gracious and kind thank you! And no, the wasp and I have become good friends. I see him daily :) I even saved him once out of the water when he got a bit carried away!

Rob I think you are right in that the risk in this one might be that it becomes boring. I was hoping it would be more meditative and relaxing but it takes skill to keep something of this sort spell-binding to the end. Hopefully uwol 5 gives the occasion for a really upbeat interpretation!

Thanks for the watch.

Sincerely,

Cat