DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4 "Water Watchers" by Chris Barcellos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99624-uwol-4-water-watchers-chris-barcellos.html)

Chris Barcellos July 23rd, 2007 11:08 PM

UWOL #4 "Water Watchers" by Chris Barcellos

Shot on Saturday this week, on a beautiful sunny day on the California Coast.

Camera, HV20. Shot in 24p, with Cine mode in most shots.

Music from Sony's Cinescore

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 12:28 PM

Chris,

you have a great story here!! you actually need more time!!! Stairing at the ocean is like stairing at a fire!! they both give some intrinsic value that is hard to explain!!! Good job!!

Bruce Foreman July 24th, 2007 12:51 PM

I feel like I had a chance to meet some of your family. The ocean is always a visually refreshing sight and I enjoyed the feel of your film.

I liked the muted colors and general look of this one, I assume you were using the 24p mode of the HV20.

Chris Barcellos July 24th, 2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 717813)
I feel like I had a chance to meet some of your family. The ocean is always a visually refreshing sight and I enjoyed the feel of your film.

I liked the muted colors and general look of this one, I assume you were using the 24p mode of the HV20.

A bit more muted than I wanted, but I seem to have that problem with the conversion to Quicktime formats.. Yes, HV20, in 24p mode.

Chris Barcellos July 24th, 2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 717799)
Chris,

you have a great story here!! you actually need more time!!! Stairing at the ocean is like stairing at a fire!! they both give some intrinsic value that is hard to explain!!! Good job!!

Thanks Dale. Shot about 2 hours of footage. This was like a 48 hour film project, as it turned out. I had another one in the can, but I had fun with this, and decided to post it instead.

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 08:02 PM

Chris,

What a great poignant film! When you talked about the smelt not coming that day and how they come less but maybe they'll still be there when your children come here again is powerful stuff!

And you balanced it with some great humor. The kid in the red shorts doing the pushups was a hoot!

It was a laid back easy going film but it had a powerful impact.

What did your father think of it?

Nice stuff man!!

Marco Wagner July 24th, 2007 08:58 PM

Those cliffs must look so beautiful, what a great place for family tradition.

Rob Evans July 25th, 2007 08:09 AM

Hey Chris,
I thought this film was quite magical - history, tradition and ritual all playing themselves out in front of a fickle, dangerous, yet beautiful ocean.

Human stories are something I've never really attempted to capture, but you've done it very well here... Inspiring!!!

Nice ;-)

Rob

Gabriel Yeager July 25th, 2007 09:01 PM

Nice video Chris! Very interesting!

That is cool you are able to spend time with you father out on the beach like that, I think that is very neat.

I liked Dales words regarding the ocean and fire.. It is so true.

Keep up the great work!
~Gabriel

David Gemmell July 26th, 2007 02:52 AM

Story, Emotion, Hope - this video has it all! I think we can all relate to the way times once were and how things have changed. I can only imagine the good family times you have had in the past when the smelt came (and when they didn't arrive). I could feel the sadness coming through in the narration, in terms of the children perhaps missing out on this spectacle in years to come.
The narration was wonderful and it was a joy to share a time that is so special to your family.
Thanks Chris

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 04:45 AM

Hi Chris.
This film touched my heart, and It’s not embarrassing for me, at all, to tell you so. It's a great story and I feel I’m there with you and your family watching the sea. Not a dull moment, this is a film I will see again and again, my wife loved it too.
Generations coming together this way, we need more of it. I think it will make us better persons, and I know for certain the kids will love thinking back on this occation when they grow up. Keep up the good work.

Geir Inge

Jeff Hendricks July 26th, 2007 09:21 AM

Chris, this was a touching film and it was one of my favorites. I showed my wife who laughed and cried.

It had the rare human emotional impact that is often difficult to deal with in nature films yet so important in capturing the interest of the people who watch.

I love the line “Men, when we are catching the Smelt, endurance is important…No Smoking!” and then of course the pushups to get warmed up.

Terrific film, the music added richness to the piece and it had a beautiful thought provoking ending. Good tripod and good sound would have made this excellent film an astounding film.

Jeff

Catherine Russell July 26th, 2007 10:11 AM

Chris:

FABULOUS film. What an interesting take on "water". I loved it. I enjoyed your family and the generations of them. This was a very "sharing" film as you let us peek into your personal life a bit. Loved the humor and the sober statement at the end where the fish are coming less.

This took me back to when I was a child trying to do push-ups with dad, and faring just about the same way as your little boys did!

love this,

Cat Russell

Trond Saetre July 28th, 2007 06:15 PM

Chris,

It was almost as if I was there with you and your family on the beach.
Keep up the good work! I loved this one.

Per Johan Naesje July 29th, 2007 01:30 AM

Chris, other have commented this entry very well. I just loved to watch it, both your family and the ocean.