DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4 "Water The Necessity for Life" by Gordon Hoffman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99636-uwol-4-water-necessity-life-gordon-hoffman.html)

Gordon Hoffman July 24th, 2007 05:35 AM

UWOL #4 "Water The Necessity for Life" by Gordon Hoffman

I have to apologize for this video as it is one of my poorest. But I said I would put one in so I slapped it together and did. Better than the Shark Tank I guess. I shot all but a couple of shots in one day.
Thanks.

Gorodn Hoffman

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 12:05 PM

Grant,

You have put together a good story. the audio is weak, Unless it is my computer. I really liked your shots of the fauna!!!

Keep up the good work.

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 07:40 PM

Gordon,

That was a good flick.
The audio sounded fine on my Monsoon speakers.

Only two negatives I had were the tilt down to see the water where you talked about it resurfacing was a little long and it was hard to see the water.

The other was trying to find the butterfly in the last shot.

Other than that, I thought you put together a good story.

You got allot of variety in one day. You must have been hustling.

I know what you mean about a film having to live up to your standards.

I think it turned out just fine!

David Gemmell July 26th, 2007 04:39 AM

Gordon,

I also thought your video was good - very informative, with lots of shots and variety.

The pans and zooms could have been a bit slower and smoother - but this was hardly noticable.

Your narration sounded good and the overall documentary approach worked well.

I think it is great that you were committed to getting an entry through.

Well done!

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 06:22 AM

Hi Gordon.
What can I say?
You give us some great scenery from a beautiful part of your country and you are a great storyteller too. I would have loved a close up of the waterfall at the dam/dike though, but all in all a great watervideo. Keep up the good work.

Geir Inge

Catherine Russell July 26th, 2007 10:20 AM

Hi Gordon:

What is with all of you guys admitting to slapping something together in a day, saying it's not good.... and I think it is Very Good! You have an eye for what you are filming and you make it interesting. I liked the way you used the music, just at the end... no need for it when you hear the water sounds of moving water. I also liked it when you panned the camera from panoramic view down to the multi-colored stones close up. I liked this film, nice job Gordon!

Cat Russell

Brian McKay July 26th, 2007 12:13 PM

ditto what cat said....hell you make me feel lesser if you can do this quality in a few hours than what the heck is wrong with me this is good stuff....brian.

Gordon Hoffman July 27th, 2007 07:37 AM

Dale - Thanks. The audio level was abit low.

Kevin - I know I should have tweaked the edits a bit more. This area has alot of video opportunities. It's just getting out there that's a challenge lately. Thanks.

David - Thanks. Definitely room for improvement.

Geir Inge - Sorry but all the water is running through the under ground tunnel right now. The kayakers have a run set up below the spillway. Thanks.

Cat - I guess because I didn't have any good wildlife shots for this project it was somewhat lacking. Anybody can sneak up on a flower. I though the sound of running water should be enough and the music at the end would give it a little punch. Thanks.

Brian - Thanks. No need to feel lesser. I probably spent more time putting this together than I did shooting it. I've got to be one of the slowest editors along with my typing.

Thanks again everyone.

Gordon Hoffman

Jeff Hendricks July 27th, 2007 10:17 AM

Good story, thank you for the nice narration.

Your piece really made me want to get out and go backpacking again. Is the area in Canada? It really reminds me of the Eastern Sierras and the Mountain ranges of Central and Northern Nevada.

I like how your film flowed and told a story. As far as camera work I would be careful of zooms and pans. Sometimes it is a little easier on the eyes to transition instead of zoom. Other than that I really liked how you cut the film, from seeing the snow on the peak to how it created the streams and we got to follow the stream down to where people use it. Nice job thanks for the terrific entry.

Jeff

Trond Saetre July 29th, 2007 03:20 AM

Gordon, there is no need for appologizing for a "poor" video.
I like what you made! It's a good film.
The scenery is amazing.
Thanks for sharing.

Per Johan Naesje July 29th, 2007 07:17 AM

Gordon, stunning scenery and a good story too! No need to apologize, your film was nice to watch, keep them coming!

Gordon Hoffman July 31st, 2007 06:47 AM

Jeff - Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the best voice for narration work. Yes this is on the east slope of the Rockies here in SW Alberta.

Trond - Thank you. I guess I'm more a wildlife type and didn't get the time to get any for this video. Scenery shots are fairly easy to come by in this area.

Per Johan - That's one thing this area has is stunning scenery. I just wish I could hsve put more effort into it. I'm looking forward to #5. Thank you.

Gordon Hoffman

Ruth Happel July 31st, 2007 02:17 PM

I really liked this, and the narration added a lot to it. I liked your message, and felt the flow was great, with a large variety of footage. Depressing you just slapped this together..... I am sure it would take a huge effort for me to come up with a comparable variety of shots. Really enjoyed this.

Ruth

Bruce Foreman August 1st, 2007 01:25 PM

I'm just now getting around to doing feedback on many entries. My main video computer came up with a problem that kept me occupied.

Gosh, I really enjoyed the way you presented some very beautiful and magnificent scenery along with the "necessity of life". I think you did a very good job with excellent composition and smooth editing. I'm right there with you for not having the best voice for narration but comments indicate we both do a good job of it. Your narration worked well with your visuals for me.

I enjoyed watching it. (I think the best part of these is getting to see what others "see" and what they do with it)

Gordon Hoffman August 1st, 2007 06:58 PM

Ruth - Thank you. I was scaping the bottom of the barrel to get enough usable footage for this one.

Bruce - Thanks. Between you and me I'd take your voice any day. I agree with you about how interesting it is to see what people do with a theme.

Gordon Hoffman