Sony LMD-2450W monitor questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony LMD-2450W monitor questions

I have been waiting for a HD monitor that meets my needs for some time.

It appears that I found it, but I still have some questions.

The Panasonic 17" monitor was nice, but it does not display 1080 signals pixel for pixel. Also, it has a noisy fan, but the fan can be disabled. It does have waveform monitoring.

The 24" JVC seems very nice, but it does not have waveform monitoring.

The new Sony LMD-2450W is now shipping. This is a 1920 x 1080 monitor that seems very nice. The Sony LMD-2450WHD includes an HD-SDI adapter. Sony claims that this monitor displays a picture equal to or better than any other technology, including Sony high end CRTs.

My research indicates that it has three built in fans, but it is reported that they are very quiet. Waveform monitoring is also present. Audio levels for embedded HD-SDI signals are also displayable.

I hoped that it would have LED back-lighting, but that is reserved for Sony's $23,000 LCD monitor. This monitor uses dimmable CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent) back-lighting.

It has been hard getting meaningful information on this monitor. I have learned that it has a three-year parts and labor warranty. B&H lists 2 years, but according to Sony that is a mistake.

The monitor does not have an HDMI input, but it does have DVI-D.

My current question is whether or not this monitor supports HDCP. It would be a shame for a monitor of this caliber not to be able to display commercial content at full resolution. The product manual does not mention HDCP at all.

There is a current Sony promotion, in which you can purchase this monitor (from a Sony Dealer) and if it does not meet your needs (within 30 days), they will refund your money, including shipping costs.
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Dan, I can tell you that Sony had the new Luma 2 series on display at NAB in a unique situation. They had a blackened area with just the three display faces showing footage. One of the three was a CRT, the other 2 were the new LCD monitors.

I finally picked out the CRT after watching the footage loop two or three times but it was so hard to see that I felt I was still guessing a bit.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Those were the ~$25k(23k?) BVM-Ls monitors that were on display (in the color matching demonstration with the BVM CRTs).

If you stand close to the monitors, it is a lot easier to pick out which is which (your ability to distinguish hues and shades goes up with visual angle). It may not have always been possible at NAB since that room could have been packed. To my eyes, the BVM-L is sharper / more resolution. On dark scenes, it has a slightly higher (worse) black level.

2- (Back to talking about the relatively lower-end models...)
I was never really impressed by Sony's Luma panels. But I've never seen their LMD-2450W model and I don't believe it was on display at NAB. (From what I remember, I didn't see any 1920x__ pixel models). I couldn't tell you much about it.

Last edited by Glenn Chan; August 6th, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Greg and Glenn,

I wish I attended NAB.

My Sony dealer says it was the new Luma on display.

Glenn, since you are very positive it was the ~$25,000 monitor, I feel that you may be right. This high end monitor has LED back-lighting while the $5,500 (list price) Luma does not. I would like to know for sure. The high end monitor will not be out until the fall.

I feel that I am relatively safe buying the new Luma as it comes with the full return guaranty if I do not like it for any reason.

I wish I could confirm that it has HDCP.
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The Sony LMD-2450w and LMD-2450WHD are now shipping.

Before purchasing one, I was concerned about (1) audible noise and (2) HDCP on the DVI-D input.

I can confirm that the unit is quiet. We are currently using one, in a quiet room, for reviewing each day's footage. I have not heard any noise. I am told that there are three fans in the unit. I did not put my ear to the unit, but from 2 feet away I could not hear any noise whatsoever.

We do not yet have a definitive answer on HDCP.

I can confirm that everyone that has seen the monitor so far has been very pleased.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have received word from Sony that the Luma series of professional monitors, including their new "High Grade" models such as the LMD-2450W do not include HDCP.

Thus, any viewing of copy protected DVD content via the DVI-D or from an HDMI source using an HDMI to DVI-D adapter will not work at full resolution.

This is a disappointment in an otherwise top-notch monitor.

The JVC 24" monitor does have HDCP, but it does not have a waveform display, as far as I know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software