Recommended Monitor - the JVC DT-V20L1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Recommended Monitor - the JVC DT-V20L1U?

I am looking for a monitor for editing for both the JVC HD110 and also with a 1080 HDV camera.

Does anyone have experience with the DT-V20L1U JVC monitor? Is it worth $2000.

What other options might there be (perhaps less money?).

I seem to remember some people recommended a Sony TV of some sort in the past, but I can't find the posts.

Thanks.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Wrangler

These monitors definitely have the most "bang for your buck" when it comes to professional grade monitoring. What I like about them is that you don't have to buy expensive input cards the way you do with CRT broadcast monitors. They already have every input you can think of, including HD-SDI.

The CRT style knobs on the front make it very user friendly.

These monitors could be seen in use all over NAB in April, not just at the JVC booth. The image is really incredible for LCD.

We used the 24" version on set for a film I shot last month. It was very nice, but I still felt like the viewing angle was restricted to about 30 degrees for optimum black levels.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you for the comments.

It seems the 24, not the 20 inch does 1080 resolution.

I do not have SDI.

We are working on a documentary the next couple of years, using the JVC camera as well as a Canon 1080i.

I am thinking it may be worth getting a good monitor to use as we go along, instead of waiting until the end. Is this reasonable? Or is it reasonable to get along with an HD TV for now and use a professional monitor farther down the line?

(There are also a couple of other projects, smaller, that we could use the monitor for.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Major Player

We use the 20 inch (without SDI) and I can also say that it is the best bang for the buck. BUT as Tim mentioned- the viewing angle was a bit dissapointing. This is not a good monitor for more than one head. You really need to be directly in front of it which is fine for what we use it for- editing.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Is it usable for SD footage? I read somewhere that SD footage doesn't look that good on the DT-V series.
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software