Some questions about the Bravia X series and Samsung M8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Some questions about the Bravia X series and Samsung M8

I am probably going to get one of these very soon.

I'll be buying the 46" version probably (or maybe the 52" if I'm lucky) but had a few questions that I cannot find the answers to anywhere.

The new Bravia X (and W) series LCD TVs have a "24p" mode that I suppose enables correct playback of the 24p content of Blu-Rays. Does the Samsung do this as well? If so, it is not advertised, which seems silly.

I will probably plug the TV into my PC and use an internal Blu-Ray Disc Drive to play the discs, so can I tell my computer to send a 24p signal rather than a 60Hz signal through my nVidia 6800GT graphics card?

Finally, someone said that you can manipulate 1:1 pixel mapping on the Bravias so that PC inputs can be accurately displayed without the typical overscan of normal TVs. Is this the case? And is it the case with the Samsung as well?

Thanks for your help,

-- John.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi John.....

I've got the Sony KLV - 46X200A, so if they've brought out a series with a different suffix (ie NOT 200A) this may not be relevant.

1. The Sony only has 1080P when using the HDMI inputs, I guess if the Samsung doesn't say it, it doesn't have it.

2. My Sony WILL NOT WORK with the DVI O/P to the HDMI I/P from my Matrox graphics card. IT WILL WORK to my Laptop DVI. If you are planning to use DVI be prepared to be dissapointed.

If you are planning to play BD or HD content from an internal pc drive, your graphics card will require an HDMI O/P with HDCP enabled to the TV HDMI input. It will not work any other way if you are playing protected content.

Your graphics card sends progressive through the DVI connector whatever you are doing - DVI doesn't do "interlaced". The frame rate is a card function I believe.

If you are thinking of connecting the Sony via the analogue D - sub 15 pin connector, please note that the Sony can only display 1360 X 768 (MAX) @ 60 HZ (or any frequency, come to that) on that connection. Yes, the picture can be scaled to fix overscan etc but it looks utter crap.

Far better to use the component I/P's which will take 1080i and look pretty damn good.

Bottom line, if you're going to be playing protected content from an internal BD or HD drive, your graphics card must have the HDMI/HDCP, so that might as well be your permant PC link. It is the best quality picture by far.

I have no information on the Samsung but suggest you get a copy of the manual before taking the leap - the sales people know nothing!

Do hope this helps.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I've got the Sony KLV - 46X200A, so if they've brought out a series with a different suffix (ie NOT 200A) this may not be relevant.
They have - it's the 46X3100.

Quote:
Bottom line, if you're going to be playing protected content from an internal BD or HD drive, your graphics card must have the HDMI/HDCP, so that might as well be your permant PC link. It is the best quality picture by far.
How do I find this out? My PC has an nVidia 7800GT and a 6800GT.

Thanks for your help!
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi again....

I'm not familiar with those cards, but if either had HDMI/ HDCP, I'm pretty sure they'd be hollering the fact from the rooftops.

You could check the relevant web site's for details.

You could do a quick check on the cards themselves, a HDMI socket isn't all that different to a USB port in size and shape (it's a bit longer/ wider - a shocking piece of design, IMPO)

Why the two graphics cards, as a matter of interest?

I found this on a quick Google:

http://www.cnet.com.au/forum/?mode=v...last_post_date

You may have seen it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

More info...........

I've checked both the Aus & NZ Sony sites for the current model HD sets and it looks as if the X3100 is specific to Aus.

Can't really see any difference whatsoever in the published "Specs" (so sparse they aren't spec's at all) from the 200A.

Think getting a manual for one could be a bit tricky - couldn't find a link on either site that got you a manual.

Used to be able to get them here BUT had to enter a valid S/N to do so, so if you didn't have a set and thus not a S/N, no manual. Neat way of keeping the darker secrets dark till it's too late.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software