Field monitor for Canon XH A1 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:46 PM   #76
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
I'm currently filming at the Edinburgh Fringe and have been using a Sony FX850 portable dvd system which has a hi-res 8" screen. It's absolutely great and lasts for about 6 hours on its own battery. I made a small wooden platform for it which I attach to the top of one of the tripod legs.

I leave the Canon's own screen folded in and use the Sony screen all the time.

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com
Thanks for the reply. I was looking into this unit. I have also just checked out the 7" displays by lilliput which seem be a cheap option for use with a 35mm adaptor. I have seen another person with an xha1 using this with an external 12v battery. They are using a Noga mount but i'm not sure where the best place to get one of these or something similar in the uk. Does anyone know?
Andy Yoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
I'm currently filming at the Edinburgh Fringe and have been using a Sony FX850 portable dvd system which has a hi-res 8" screen. It's absolutely great and lasts for about 6 hours on its own battery. I made a small wooden platform for it which I attach to the top of one of the tripod legs.

I leave the Canon's own screen folded in and use the Sony screen all the time.

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com
I have been curious about that myself. I think the nearest US equivalent is the FX820. Do you find it pretty useful for focus while shooting HD? Also, how are you connecting it to your camera?
Robert Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #78
Major Player

yeah im curious to if ur using the sony with a 35mm?
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #79
Regular Crew

I'm using the fx850 with just a "stock" A1. I didn't spot the 35mm reference in the original post.

I've constructed a small shelf to hold the FX850. The shelf attaches to the top of one of the tripod legs using bicycle lamp holders. Very ad hoc and I intend to look for something better after the Festival finishes.

At about 15m distance from the stage and with the A1's Magnify on, a microphone ball head fills about half the screen vertically and makes it very easy to focus on the wire mesh of the microphone.

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com

Last edited by Ian Wright; August 4th, 2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo correction
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #80
Regular Crew

What's the connector cable needed to use Sony 850/820 DVD Player as Monitor

I looked at a Sony "High Res" DVD player , I think an 820 model, in a USA department store, looked like it has some kind of 1/8" jack labelled "AV In"

Can someone tell me which out jack from the XH-A1 do I connect , and what the cable spec is?

Thanks!
Alain Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #81
Major Player

1/8" mini to BNC
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #82
New Boot

Noga Mount

I've searched loads of places but can't seem to find a noga mount or something similar in the uk to mount a monitor. Does anyone know where I can get something like this?
Andy Yoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Where to get 1/8" ( mono, or 2 conductor right?) to BNC cable

Thanks for letting me know about cable spec. Does anyone know where to get them?

There's a radio shack in town, but they seem to have the screw on coaxial connectors people use for cable TV, instead of BC, which I think is different.
Alain Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Cables made to order

I got a BNC to stereo cable from pacificcable.com. You can get the
lengths you want from them or any combination of connections. I have
a XH A1. At one time I tried the Sony FX820 which worked well, but
was too heavy to mount on the hotshoe.

Charles Dodd
Charles Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #85
Major Player

I use the Nebtek Neb70HD which is a super sharp and sturdy 7" monitor with the A1 which gave me ability for easy focus and a bright picture in sunny conditions. I connected with the canon component cable. I am moving to a Sony EX3 and have sold my two XH-A1's, so I am selling this monitor due to Sony's new sharp viewfinder and my need to run and gun. I use a manfrotto cold shoe ball mount which is very sturdy. This monitor is slightly heavy, but has worked well for me even in places like Africa and was an essential tool in the field. It was also really convenient to use my canon batteries with the monitor with the extra canon plate I purchased for the monitor.

Here is a link to my monitor for sale on this forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=126956

Here is a link to the monitor features and specs on Nebtek's site:

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=102NEB70HD
Attached Images

Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dodd View Post
I got a BNC to stereo cable from pacificcable.com. You can get the
lengths you want from them or any combination of connections. I have
a XH A1. At one time I tried the Sony FX820 which worked well, but
was too heavy to mount on the hotshoe.
Charles Dodd
Yeah, and as an owner of an FX820, it's not as hot as we'd like it to be. Somehow, the component video conversion and deinterlacing just kill the sharpness that the FX820's LCD is capable of. Sure, it works, but many HD camcorders (well, at least mine: EX1) don't output the expanded focus view and other information (focus peaking) to the monitor, so it's just suitable for framing. I will concede that the FX820 is great for an alternative angle, or if you're working more then a few feet away.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #87
Regular Crew

I think IŽll post some pictures of my XHA1 and mini TV-HANNSPREE (about 200$). The quality of the disply is very good for the price. And it has a very nice "sharpness" feature which allow me to focus really easy. Its also cool becuase on XHA1 you cant use peaking and zebra at the same time. Extra nice: you can watch TV while shooting break ;-)

http://home.arcor.de/pyevtsov/XHA1/SNV80854.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/pyevtsov/XHA1/SNV80855.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/pyevtsov/XHA1/SNV80856.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/pyevtsov/XHA1/SNV80857.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/pyevtsov/XHA1/SNV80858.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/pyevtsov/XHA1/SNV80859.jpg
Denys Pyevtsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Denys, what model is that?
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Its a HANNS.mini DVB-T Portable TV.
Denys Pyevtsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Just got the Ikan V-8000HD. After playing with it for an hour or so I think it is adequate for focusing with. It's better than the built-in lcd for judging wb accuracy too. I'm sure the Nebtek/Marshall etc.'s in the $1500-2500 price range are better but for the money the Ikan is aok, for me anyways.
The real reason for my post though is to plug bestbatt.com. I got the high capacity [970] battery plus a charger (with car adaptor) for $59. Not bad at all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software