Field monitor for Sony PMW-EX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Spencer...........

The short answer to your last question is no.

I cannot comment on the EX1 as I shoot with a Canon XH A1, but the diddy screen on the A1 is superior to any 8" or less screen I've ever seen for detail (IMO).

Is it enough for critical focus? Ah, well, that depends.

After a great deal of buggering about, I finally settled on this way of doing things, may not be your cup of tea, but sure works for me.

Less than 10 metres (35 feet): Zoom fully in on subject. At that range the amount of detail in the camera LCD is usually adequate (with the benefit of Peaking and Magnify) to get it right 98% of the time.

More than 10 metres: Zoom fully in on target.

Pull out my Nikon 1200s Laser rangefinder (from holster on belt) and zap the target, making sure I'm more or less in line with the camera CCD workings. Feed the resultant distance into the lens manually and shoot. Success rate: 100%

If I'd bought the equivalent Zeiss** unit I could use the latter tecnique as close as 1 metre, but I didn't, as the Zeiss (1 - 500 metres) doesn't have the legs for more than 500 metres (I think) and the A1 manually focuses to about 950 (the Nikon goes from 10 to 1200 metres).

Sure as hell beats the crap outta lugging a 24 " HD screen and power supply around - tho' I suppose it doesn't have that added "wow" factor.

Exceedingly cost effective (and exceedingly accurate) focusing, however.

CS

PS. ** Could be a Leica!

Last edited by Chris Soucy; November 30th, 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Possible Senior Moment
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

That is so practical man! I have to try that. How much did the laser-unit set you back?
Spencer Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thank you Spencer...........

I happen to be a very practical Canadian.

In NZ dollars, a lot more than Cannuk ones, that's for sure.

Depending on what you go for, I guess anywhere from $100 to $500 Can.

Check 'em out - it would seem that the good 'ol "Focus Pullers" of old are now "Laser Shooters', at least, they have been with the last few film crews we've had through Dunedin doing feature films.

I strongly recomend either the Leica or Zeiss, only because they are far more accurate (to within an inch over 500 metres, I think) than the Nikon, which is only accurate to within .5 of a metre (however, I can't focus the Canon to anything less then +/- .5 metre over 20 metres so it doesn't really matter much in my case.

Sure beats any other way of focusing in my book (heck, there's even no need to figure, back a bit, in a bit, what? Just dial it in and it's done. Magic.)

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM   #19
Regular Crew

That would alleviate my concerns about focusing in general. I wouldn't constantly be relying on my eyes. I am buying one of those asap. I love when things can be exact and duplicable.
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey chris...I was wondering where I could go to purchase a Zeiss/Leica range-finder. I asked a local camera shop and they were clueless, so I got the impression that they are not typically used for filmmaking. I was also wondering if the laser/radiation of a range-finder could cause damage to ccds/cmos chips/sensors, seeing as you said to get the laser in line with the chips.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #21
Major Player

A laser measure is a nice backup tool, but if you're measuring, a good-ol tape measure (fiberglass type) will work wonders. If it's an indie feature, and they're giving you time to take focus marks, then doing it with a real tape can save you a few hundred dollars, which you could later put towards more acc's for the camera.

HOWEVER:

Have you ever seen the EX1 in person??? I'm guessing not if you're asking about portable LCD's for focus. The flip-out screen on that camera is breathtaking. It's really a giant leap forward in small LCD's - very high res, very nice color, and it's transflexive - you can see a bright picture even in full sunlight (like the Z1u's). The peaking is good enough to pull accurate focus based on the LCD. And, the lens itself is very nice and linear so you can do the old zoom, focus, zoom-out, and know for a fact that it'll stay sharp.

Separate LCD's are nice to have, but certainly not required for a camera with such a great lens and built-in LCD (If focus is your concern). If the issue is that you need to show a director a live picture, then start thinking about buying an LCD. But keep in mind - the EX1's LCD is a VERY rare breed in that it is daylight viewable. Just about every HD LCD out there is very very very dim and will be essentially worthless outdoors unless completely tented.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #22
Major Player

Try basspro.com and search on rangefinder.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
The short answer to your last question is no.

I cannot comment on the EX1 as I shoot with a Canon XH A1, but the diddy screen on the A1 is superior to any 8" or less screen I've ever seen for detail (IMO).
Chris,

At my work we own a Z1, Canon A1 and now a Sony EX1.

The screen on the EX1 is a thing of beauty. I can't stand the screen on the A1 compared to the Z1, so if you think the A1 screen is great just wait until you get your hands on an EX1 to play with!!!

The previous poster is right about not needing an extra LCD monitor with the EX1. Awesome screen, easy to pull focus with.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Monitor

As a beta tester for the EX1, I have been using the TV Logic LVM-071W with Waveform and vector. best i seen in its class.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dillon View Post
As a beta tester for the EX1, I have been using the TV Logic LVM-071W with Waveform and vector. best i seen in its class.
Just saw that monitor and its larger sibling a few weeks ago being demo'd at a local tv station. I was impressed with the flexibility of that little monitor.

Hope you're having a good holiday!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM   #26
Regular Crew

LCD Monitor 24-30 inch

Guys, what LCD monitor do you recommend for the EX1

Are you using TV Monitors (like the Aquos) or Computer Monitors (Samsung/Dell/Cinema Displays).

Output will be from an NLE over DVI --> DVI (or HDMI)

Thanks
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:45 AM   #27
Major Player

I think it's hard to beat the new Dells.

I don't have one, but I have several older models, and the new ones are only better, with expanded color gamut, contrast ratio and such.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM   #28
New Boot

Hi Paul,
I'm using a 52" Aquos (D92 series) to monitor the timeline via a black magic intensity card. For the computer I tried the 24 and 30" apple cinema, the 27" dell, and the 30" samsung. I kept the 27" dell. It is my favourite general purpopse computer monitor right now.
Louis Nel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #29
Major Player

The new 24" dells are nice. They have lots of input options. I have two and love them. Can't beat the price either.
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Louis how do you calibrate the D92? And will it play real time from the timeline?

Gene do you use FC?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software