Field monitor for Sony PMW-EX1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Thanks All !

Eric & Gene
Are you referring to this monitor:2407WFP-HC

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=320-5647

I think I might shoot for that - or the 27" like Louis mentioned.

Louis if i'm not mistakenm, you can only get 1080i (not 1080p) over the Black Magic card right? How does 1080i look on the Aquos - do you not get artifacting? I have a Sony HD CRT screen for my 1080i - looks really nice. For all the progressive - will go to LCD

Louis do you find the increased contrast ration on the Aquos makes the picture look better - vs. the Dell computer monitor?

Thanks again!
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM   #32
New Boot

Hi Paul,
I do what I described in the blackmagic monitoring thread as "poor man's calibration". I use my "spyder-style" calibration tool which I use with photoshop to get accurate calibration on my computer monitor. Then I set the monitor beside my TV, display two identical images from photoshop (one on the screen and on via the black magic card to the TV) and try and tweak the TV till it looks right.) To my knowledge you cannot load ICC picture profiles into the video capture card the way you can for your graphics card. I wish there was an automated way to calibrate the TV they way I do my monitor for still photography, but I don't know if that exists. If it does I would love to know about it.

...Lou
Louis Nel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM   #33
Major Player

As a cheap temporary solution to use with Intensity Pro, I got the BenQ G2400W, $400. It has HDMI and DVI, so I can swap between using it as a video monitor and extended desktop. I've seen no artifacting on 24p footage.

Quality is very nice so far, though calibration limited of course. I'm interested in the new Lacie 324 http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11034 as a future higher-end unit doing the same thing.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Rob,

My EX1's shipping out by Monday and I'm trying to put together a quick edit solution. I've got Final Cut 2 on the way and I've got a Mac Pro desktop. I've ordered the intesity pro card as well. Just to be clear, the only monitor you're using is the Benq, or are you using a two monitor setup? Thanks
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Monitor Question

Hi Folks,

Camera should be here by the end of this work week. trying to get all the ancillary stuff in line before then.

I'll be cutting on FCS 2 and have a quick monitoring question.

If I get this monitor: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5647

What card do I need on my Mac pro to take advantage of the 1080p footage?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #36
Major Player

Hi Jamie, it's a normal DVI interface monitor, your Mac Pro should already have two ports built in so I doubt you need to buy anything further.

If your looking at colour correction monitoring then this wouldn't be the right way to go, you'd need to be spending a whole lot more. For editing and non critical coloring etc it will be fine though, I use a Dell 24" along with my Apple 23" on a Mac Pro and I much prefer the Dell to the Apple display.

regards

paul.
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick reply Paul. This is not color critical stuff, so I think I'll go for the dell, I've read lots of good stuff about it.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Advise for SD/HD monitor in Europe

I am in a process of buying an SD/HD monitor (portable if possible) to couple it with my EX1 and JVC GY DV 500 as well. Questions are:

1. CRT or Flat
2. I am on budget (yeah good luck to me asking for HD monitor)
3. What are my options brand-wise (European region only)
4. Is it possible to have a descent SD/HD monitor at the same time?
5. I know that size matters with HD but if I could get away with a 10'' or little wider and battery operated...
6. Can I calibrate it myself for SD/HD?
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #39
Major Player

1080 for SD Monitor

Ok after hours (well just under 1 hour really) of searching I can't find the answer to my question. I have a Sony EX1 in the post and i plan to be shooting 1080p for work which will be shown on tv, alot of colour correcting/grading will be done to the footage. My question is this, do i really need a HD monitor for such work as my broadcast target will be SD, i ask this because i have just ordered a JVC TM-H150CG and as my reasoning has it, i believe i should be able to edit on my timeline whether that be a hd or sd timeline and then firewire an output to the monitor and work on it from there. Does this make sence, or am i overlooking a major comprimise etc? Thanks as usual people.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #40
Major Player

What are you monitoring on?

Ok so we all know the EX1 is capable of some extraordinary images and i imagine alot of you are editing on a hd timeline and so i am wondering what are you using to monitor your footage for accurate colour correction/grading?

I my self am using a JVC TM-H150C simply because thats all i can afford right now and as i do a lot of colour grading i'm assuming it will be better than judging colours accurately on my pc monitor. My work is usually for broadcast and dvd output for clients.

So what’s your monitor setup?
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #41
Major Player

Dell 24' HD LCD. They now have the 27". very popula woth the Vegas Pro crowd. Color and contrast match big screen 1080p LCD very close.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #42
Major Player

Michael,
My Dell Ultrasharp Monitors (24") arrived yesterday. I didn't have a chance to hook up my new MacPro yet before I went away for the weekend but I did hook up my EX-1 to the monitor via the component. It looked pretty nice, but I found that it was a bit noisier than on a nicer LCD, and in low light areas saw some very faint horizontal lines (this on 1:1 aspect). Have you ever plugged in the EX-1 directly to your monitor like that and noticed similar results? I wonder if it will look diferent when played through FCP.

BE
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #43
Major Player

I have done this with my Dell 2405. It is one generation older than the current Dell 24" so I don't know if the results are the same. Anyway - using the component inputs gives a way way way worse picture than when playing back media from the computer. In my case that means Avid Media Composer. I find that I can judge colour and brightness/contrast pretty well when using the fullscreen mode in the Avid.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Benjamin, you're not the first one to report the lines in EX1-via-component image; I must say I'm not seeing anything like it on my Fujitsu-Siemens monitor.
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #45
Trustee

The component in on the DELL 2405 is awful. Like you said, playback from your computer will be FAR better. Also, using an SDI>DVI adaptor blows away the component input on the DELL.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software