Production monitors 101 for newbies like me? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Production monitors 101 for newbies like me?

Hi everyone,

I currently shoot and edit digital video for personal use, but also do the occasional weddings and corporate videos (mix of video/photos/graphics). I edit using Final Cut Pro on my Macbook Pro. In terms of monitors for editing, I simply use the one on my laptop, but occasionally use a no-name generic CRT TV. The more client-based work I do, the more I'm looking to invest in a good production monitor. I have no clue where to start though. With clients/friends now making the shift to LCD TVs, I want to be able to use a monitor that will allow me to edit video that will be properly displayed on CRTs and LCD TVs. I'm guessing there's no easy solution to this but I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
Ryan Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Tourist

I'm also using a macbookpro and fcp, and I'm considering to buy a DELL 24' http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-5647

Seems to be a good budget-solution.

I don't know how it will behave with my jvc hd-200 (1280 x 720p)
Sander Wijnants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander Wijnants View Post
I'm considering to buy a DELL 24'
Wow! I want to see that. I thought my Sony 60" TV was big!
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi guys.............

Beware, herein lies a trap for the unwary.....

The Dell is, without doubt, a damn good HD monitor for PC use.

It is (IMPO) one of the worst screens on the planet to display what is going to appear on a full size LCD/ Plasma TV screen situated in someone's living room.

If you wish to use the Dell (as I do), get yourself a good HDTV as well and run it in parallel, so you can, indeed, see the difference.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software