Which Spyder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Which Spyder?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Spyder for monitor calibration but I'm not sure which one to get. What's the skinny or better yet what are you using? I have an SD video editing setup but hope to eventually get an HDV setup. I did a search and didn't find a comparison. Some help would be appreciated.
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Get Spyder2Express, it will run you in about $60-70 and includes Spyder2 colorimeter and simple wizard-driven computer program, which asks you simple questions about your hardware and then performs automatic monitor calibration.

The package is available for either Windows or Mac. The usage is very simple: install the application, connect the Spyder2 to a USB port, start the program, answer couple of questions, then affix the colorimeter on the display and wait for about five minutes. The program will automatically display grayscale patches, then it will run through red, green and blue patches (primary colors). The colorimeter will be reading actual colors from the computer screen and saving them into a database. Then the program will compare ideal values to actual values, will calculate the correction coefficients and will create a display profile.

Using display profiles is simple. On Windows, a display profile is loaded into memory each time Windows starts. If you have a Plug-and-Play monitor, then it will be adjusted automatically. I don't know about Mac. The program will show you several test pictures with "before" and "after" settings, so you will be able to see the difference.

If you want to calibrate a TV you either have to shell out 5-10 times more for Spyder2TV or Spyder2TVPro package, or you can use the Spyder2 colorimeter you've already got with another program and use a third-party program like CalMAN (around $150) or HCFR Colorimeter (free).

DV uses gamma 2.5, HDV uses gamma 2.2, not sure about SRGB. I don't remember that the calibrating application asked me what gamma I would prefer, so gamma may not match your target video gamma.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info. This will help a ton.
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Major Player

I went with the pro so I can set up 2 monitors. Also the ambient thing was cool until I got black out curtains.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software