New Monitor for colour correction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #1
New Boot

New Monitor for colour correction

There have been various threads that are partly relvant but not any that gives me a complete solution, hence the new thread.

I need to purchase a new LCD monitor to handle hi def output from FCP and the 'Color' software application for grading/colour correction. I need a tool also to calibrate the monitor to broadcast standard. Something like spyder? I gather I will need some sort of bridge device like Matrox MXO.

The ideal solution would be Apple cinema display, Matrox MXO, Spyder
Problem here is Matrox MXO is not compatable yet with Color application. I would like to use the monitor also for a pc, so ruling out the apple display.

Is there a combo of products I can buy that will do the same job?
Big money restrictions though on this Indie feature film. STG£2000 budget.

Please any help at all really appreciated. Need to start colour correction in 3 weeks. I am based in Belfast.

Regards
Chris
Chris J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Chris,

I just got the spyder TV and spyder 2 last month before the InterBEE and we are working on the good workflow.

Initial test we did turned out pretty good.

Maybe we should have something going here to discuss further using my setup here.

I have following gears:

A couple of Nanao Eizo 24inch displays (not the latest but new enough)
I ordered a Dell 24inch monitor which supposed to have 5mm sec response time.
Panasonic LCD HD monitor LH1700W
First generation JVC 42 inch plasma prosumer panel
Projection Design Action!ModelOne HD projector

MXO
MOTU V3HD
Blackmagicdesign Multibridge Eclipse
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J Martin View Post
I would like to use the monitor also for a pc, so ruling out the apple display.
Hi Chris, if you want a Cinema Display, you can use it with a PC as long as your graphics card has a DVI output.

http://www.apple.com/displays/digital.html
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replys guys.

Kaku, thankyou for the offer but I need to keep the post production close to home.

Cheers Tom I realised after I posted that the Apple cinema display is indeed usable with a pc also.

The set up I have decided on is 23" Apple HD cinema display, blackmagic hd link, spyder calibration and CRT standard def monitor. This film will be downscaled to SD and onto digibeta for television broadcast so the CRT monitor will cover that aspect and also confirm the accuracy of the HD cinema display, as this is also for threatrical release.
Chris J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5
Trustee

I meant to go through the test together to share the result together online but never mind.

I'm about to get the new Dell monitor that is specified 5msec response time very soon, but if you are doing 24p then probably Cinema display would do okay.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
I meant to go through the test together to share the result together online but never mind.

I'm about to get the new Dell monitor that is specified 5msec response time very soon, but if you are doing 24p then probably Cinema display would do okay.
Which one the Dell Crystal Display?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=223-5647

or the Ultrasharp 3008WFP

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=223-4890

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software