XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #136
Major Player

Hey Peer,

Personally I use the V8000W from Ikan, also 800x480. The only reason you might want to go for the HD version is if you use a 35 adapter and need the flip feature, or if you want to be able to switch to 4x3. Otherwise the monitor is very similar and the V8000W is only around $400. I am extremely pleased with the performance of the monitor.

As for mounting a light as well as the monitor, there are many "T" style hotshoe mounts that will allow for attaching both to the hotshoe. Sorry, don't remember the links for those, but I know I saw them @ B&H.

Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #137
Major Player

Hi Peer,

We have this bracket:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tri_Mount.html

Best,
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #138
Major Player

I'm still looking to buy a monitor -- the Ikan 8inch HD seems to be a nice unit but since I don't need any HD, I wonder what would be a more affordable system that works well with the XL2..?

Any help appreciated,

-- peer
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM   #139
Major Player

Ryan stated that you can get the SD version (V8000W) for about half the price...

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #140
Regular Crew

on camera monitor?

I am looking for a small on camera LCD monitor for my XL-2 I video deer hunts and have the camera on a camera arm so looking at the small view finder is very hard. I see the deer but have a hard time finding it with the camera. I was thinking 4-5 inch screen would work great. I don't want to spend to much because I don't know how well it would work. Any ideas? Thanks!
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #141
Major Player

Hi Matt,

Here are just a couple of threads for your reading pleasure<

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2...d-monitor.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...mount-lcd.html

Personally I use the Ikan V8000W and love it. It runs around $500 and is worth every penny. Ikan also makes a 7" version as well. I personally think that if you go for anything smaller than 7" you will realize that it doesn't really do you much good. Especially if you buy a cheap one. Whatever you do just make sure that it has a descent resolution. There are a ton of monitors out there that only have like 400x240 lines that will not really do much for you at all.

Hope this helps.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #142
Major Player

Has anyone tried or perhaps know about this monitor: Manhattan LCD

-- peer

Last edited by Peer Landa; December 13th, 2008 at 07:00 AM.
Peer Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #143
Major Player

From the looks of the specs, it looks like it is actually a pretty good monitor. The only thing that would keep me from going with something like that is the lack of information and pictures. For one, you can't tell if it has an option to mount it to a camera. Doesn't look like it has a threaded area in the base, but you can't tell from that pic. Not to mention the picture looks like it was taken on somebody's workbench, kinda like they just got done with some experimental project that they decided that they might be able to market.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has tested these yet? Cause that's a pretty irresistible price-tag. Almost too good to be true.

Addition: I almost forgot about power supply. Can it be rigged to run off bricks?

Last edited by Ryan Mueller; December 12th, 2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Forgot power supply!
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #144
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
Not to mention the picture looks like it was taken on somebody's workbench, kinda like they just got done with some experimental project that they decided that they might be able to market.
Yep, that's also the impression I got. Apparently those monitors are built by some genius laddie in his home shop as a side job -- although bad at communicating, everyone raves about him being nice & trustworthy. This is what I found from another DVi tread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I found more positive words here:
Http://www.manhattanlcd.com/ - Lumenlab
I just received a reply from Manhattan LCD stating that they are in Orlando, FL.
By the way, this entire thread is about different and inexpensive LCD hacks: Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 - The Digital Video Information Network

-- peer
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM   #145
Major Player

Posted in wrong thread, sorry.
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #146
Major Player

Alright, I need to know if this monitor will work on my XL2 -- especially at 16:9, (assuming I go s-video). Any advice or words of deterrence, please just let it rip as soon as possible, i.e., before I commit to buy: Manhattan LCD

-- peer
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #147
Regular Crew

on camera monitor

Hi Matt
I have not been on line for some time and have just seen your post about small monitors.
I had a similar problem when filming wildlife and found a very simple method of finding
and following a moving animal was to fit a "Red Dot " gun sight to the accessory shoe.
Once calibrated to the distance all you have to do is keep the dot on the subject and it
will be in shot.
The rig I have cost me about $30.
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-red-dot-scope.jpg  
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #148
Inner Circle

ebay: look for "NcSTAR Red Dot Sight"
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #149
Inner Circle

Dang Henry. That's a great idea.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software