XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:29 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Hi Adam,

It's a Formatt (www.formatt.co.uk). I'm reasonably pleased with it although it feels a little less sturdy than I'm happy with. Also it's impossible to use when there's any wind - it acts like a sail and the camera goes everywhere!

The 4 x 4 filters are very good, but the rotating stage is a little stiff.

Lastly, Formatt are not particularly good in the customer service department - they take ages to respond to sales enquiries, which really irritates me. I now buy through one of their dealers here in the UK who gives me the same price and next day service.

But, it was relatively inexpensive and (incoming sad admission) it makes me look good!

All in all I rate the box 6.5/10, customer service (from Formatt) 3/10. Given the same budget and the same need, I'd go for it again, but I'd buy through my dealer, not direct.

Hope that helps.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #92
Major Player

Recommendation for a LCD monitor

I'm looking to purchase a LCD color monitor to mount to my XL2. I need something that will do 16x9. I'm thinking at least 7" wide. Budget is now up to $500. I can go a bit higher. Any suggestions?
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #93
Major Player

Look at the Varizoom monitors. Not the best, but affordable.
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #94
Major Player

Thank you Dave. Not a bad place to start looking.
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #95
Go Cycle

For highest quality check out the Marshall Monitors in 16:9.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #96
Major Player

Thanks again for the suggestions.

This one looks like it's in my price range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Not crazy about the composite input. Does anyone think that makes a big difference over S-Video or R-G-B.

Thanks..
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #97
Major Player

what im most interested in is something that will give me the best quality to tweak my camera settings. LCD color isn't as accurate as CRT or on a TV but the LCD is much more convienant and most of the time its the light thats different on the television. Whats the best to buy thats not going to make me go broke and I can mount on the thing? Also, are there any that people recommend that are aspect ratio switchable?

-Kyle
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #98
Major Player

Thanks...

I find it difficult to focus with the small view finder. Also - I'd like to be able to fool with the presets in the field. I also find it hard to adjust presets using the small viewfinder. This is why I'm looking for a LCD.
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #99
New Boot

Best lcd monitor on XL2

Hi all
I just bought the xl2 after using the gl2 for sometime. Well my concern is with the lcd of the xl2. I love my lcd of the gl2, it really helps with adjustment for true color reproduction. The xl2 lcd is dull and difficult to rely on it to get the best image. I want an lcd similar to that of the gl2 and not big as the 7" that most recommend (give me reasons why the 7" is better). Since I am an event videographer, I will rely most on this on-camera lcd.
Secondly, the weight at the front makes it difficult to use the xl2 on your shoulder for a long time so I need a front end support for this camera (not so expensive) or even improvised. With my gl2, I had it on a monopod which was great.
Finally, I would like to thank all for your support and contribution to this forum
Akwasi Osei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM   #100
Inner Circle

lcd

I have the same complaint about my xl2. 7" just makes it easier to view and perhaps focus (depends on resolution).

varizoom makes the 4 inch one as I recall and a 7 inch one.

Goto the gl2 list and there is a thread on lcds going right now. Grazie even put a clip in of his set up.

Remeber lcd's are not the best to actually see the colors you are actually getting. a small crt monitor would actually be more accurate, just not so portable.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:15 AM   #101
Major Player

I want to use my laptop and final cut pro as waveform monitor.... so what exactly does the non-controllable device selection do? I don't want to capture, do I need to select this option?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM   #102
Regular Crew

btw... know any places that sell wires that are more than 6-10ft? Don't know if it even exsists.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #103
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nguyen View Post
btw... know any places that sell wires that are more than 6-10ft? Don't know if it even exsists.
What wires, firewire? You can get them longer than this, but like with any cable, a longer wire means more chance of loss of signal.
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #104

Jarrod's right.

You can also buy repeaters that will boost the signal along the way without any adverse effects.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #105
Major Player

XL2 on camera monitor

Yes, I know the topic of monitors has been covered in many other areas of DVInfo, but I have read most of them so please don't rip my head off for this because I do not believe my question has been answered in the other threads.

That being said, with the XL2 is it really necessary to use a monitor that supports 800x480 lines of resolution. I realize that it is a must for HD, but can you still pull critical focus in SD with a monitor that has 480x240 lines of res.

What it comes down to is that I am trying to decide between the following setups:

http://www.varizoom.com/products/monitors/vztft7u.html

or

http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monito...d.htm#included
plus battery, charger, and battery mount.

The varizoom will be a little cheaper when all is said and done, but would it be worth it to spend the little bit of extra dough to get the higher resolution (not to mention the extra inch) even though I am only shooting SD? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software