XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #106
Major Player

XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD

OK folks,
What are your thoughts on the field monitors and LCD's for the XL2.
I would like to have some protection of what I am shooting. Rather
than get a suprise at home I would like to know while I am live.

At least this gives me a chance to make changes while on site.

I have no idea where to start..
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #107
Major Player

I use a 7" 16:9 Varizoom all the time, and I couldn't go back to not using it. I wish i could afford a good field monitor also, but for framing and focus, the 7" works just fine. Here are a couple of pix.
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-img_0022.jpg   XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-img_0018.jpg  

Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #108
Major Player

That is exactly what I am looking for. How does that do with getting your setting's how you like? and adjusting color?

What brand is that and where is a good place to get one?

Also, what is the value and when do you use that lens hood?
Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #109
Major Player

Hey Guy,

I am using the 8" Ikan monitor and absolutely love it! I believe it is the cheapest one around and has excellent picture quality. It is actually a true high res monitor also, 800x480 lines (the varizoom is only 480x240 lines). The only down side to it is that you cannot switch it to 4x3 mode, which has not been that big of a problem. A feature that has really come in handy is the multiple inputs. When doing a 2/3 camera shoot, I can easily match all the cameras by switching the input back and forth on the monitor by hitting a single button.

Here is the site: www.ikancorp.com/pages/monitors/v8000w/index.htm

They have it at B&H for $449. You will also need a battery pack. They have a pack that runs off of AAs, or you can use the Sony battery adapter that allows you to use Sony L type batteries. I opted for the Sony L type batteries and found some of the batteries for cheap off of E-Bay. I also have a quick charger that will charge just about any type of battery. I can charge my Canon bats and sony bats on the same charger via the use of adapter plates.

I will post some pictures of my setup when I get home.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan Mueller; January 17th, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #110
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
That is exactly what I am looking for. How does that do with getting your setting's how you like? and adjusting color?

What brand is that and where is a good place to get one?

Also, what is the value and when do you use that lens hood?
Thanks!
Well, I don't know that any LCD/TFT monitor is great for color, but it shows me everything that is going on in a relative manner - if I drop in a filter, it shows me the effect, and the color is sharp and clear, but it may not be exactly what is seen in the final product. Anyway, it's a Varizoom picked up at B&H as a nice kit with battery, charger, case (nice) hood and shoe mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Monitor.html

The matte box is a nice big Formatt made from light aircraft aluminum. It's a good, but not great matte box, with two filter stages. I also use Formatt filters, which are the very best, in my opinion, but I can tell you that you can spend a king's ransom on filters. Also B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Matte_Box.html
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #111
Regular Crew

I do not know about you guys but I am thinking about this solution http://www.myvu.com/HomePage.html#

Especially the Shades 301. This model will not be available before June but the functionality and the price looks great.

Since I am always filming for very long hours and most often two to three days in a row. I have to sit. I then use a small TV monitor (13 inches) which have been giving me excellent result. Lately I have been looking at ways to have a setup which would be less heavy.

I then bought a DVD reader (Insigna 10.2 inches) and I have been very satisfied with it. I do have a small 7" broadcast monitor that I can attach to the camera but prefer the DVD reader. The color are great and it meet my needs.

Daniel
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #112
Major Player

The monitor also has an auto-off feature that will turn off the monitor if it does not detect an input signal. So when the cam goes into standby, the monitor will shut off also, to turn the monitor back on simply power back up the camera.

Here are some pictures of the Ikan on my XL2:
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-full.jpg   XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-battery.jpg  

XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD-inputs.jpg  
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #113
Major Player

Thanks for the replies guy's. I beleive these look like nice units.
I have just been burned one to many times with getting footage of something that looked bad.

Last night I taped a basketball game and this was the 2nd time at the location. The first footage I got had a little too much red and I did not hit on the right shutter speed until late. So this time, I decided to set up exactly how I liked and get the entire first half before I tweaked it. Keep in mind...It is a brand new gym with great lighting. Anyway, I used a wall to set my white balance just as I did the first game.

After the footage was bad I went back and reviewed what I did. Come to find out the wall had been painted. The first game it had a white primer, last night It was a very light/whitish grey....To my eyes it looked white and I was not too concerned because of the last game. Now it looks like I taped though tinted windows of a 78 Trans-Am.
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #114
Major Player

I feel your pain, I have done something similar a couple of times, now I would not be caught dead without a white balance card. Saves a ton of time in color correcting.

The monitor actually does display some pretty accurate colors, as far as cheaper monitors go. I set up the monitor by comparing it to a well calibrated monitor. You can also use the viewfinder and get the colors pretty close.

Ryan
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #115
Major Player

Hi Guy,

Having the luxury of owning a XL-2, you can always turn on the internal color bars and compare them with a "Gretag Macbeth" color checker card:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cker_Card.html

Of course, with affordable portable gear like the Varizoom, you're somewhat limited trying to use your SMPTE color bars to do PLUGE calibration (Picture Lie-Up Generation Equipment), although the Varizoom does have adjustments for Color, Brightness, Contrast, and Tint:

http://spareroommedia.com/video/monitor_setup.html

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #116
Major Player

I have never turned on my internal color bars nor seen the directions. I will look it up, that may be what I need.

I think my biggest issue is just experience.

Is that color board just 2 inches? seems small.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I have never turned on my internal color bars nor seen the directions. I will look it up, that may be what I need.

I think my biggest issue is just experience.

Is that color board just 2 inches? seems small.
Guy,

Yes, but you can certainly get a big one for about the same price if that's what you need:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cker_Card.html

Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Ryan - thanks for posting the info and pics of your Ikan. I've been considering that model, but I've been wondering if there's something I'm missing because the price is so good. I'm glad to see that it's working for you. I hope to get my hands on one sometime soon!

- Josh
Josh Keffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #119
Major Player

I am on the verge of making a purchase. However, I want to make sure I get the best possible unit for my liking...

My factors: (I think)

1.) Resolutiuon
2.) 16:9 & 4:3
3.) Versatility (Sometime on the shoe mount and sometimes not.
4.) Size from 7~9"
5.) Kit included. ( i just want to make 1 purchase if possible)

Of all the Ikan's I noticed this is the only one that does not have 4:3 ratio but If I am not mistaken It has the best resolution.

http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monito...comparison.htm

What do you think? any recomendations?
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #120
Major Player

...the V9200 weighs 2.0 pounds!!

This seems to be alot and too big for a shoe mount?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software