Interest in a HD-SDI true resolution field production monitor? Maybe around $2k? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Interest in a HD-SDI true resolution field production monitor? Maybe around $2k?

I was wondering if there would be interest in a true resolution (pixel for pixel) 4:2:2 10bit HD-SDI LCD Field Production Monitor for accurate color monitoring and critical focusing jobs? Maybe around 15"? What else is everyone using and what do you want to see available? I know Panasonic has their flavors, but most look like they will only do up to 720p natively. How about a 1080p (up to 60p) monitor? Is there any interest for this and what would you pay for it? What if it could be run off of AB or IDX batteries? Maybe around $2000?

Thanks
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

Well Sony's new replacement for "their 24 inch BVM tube line starts ar $20,000 if you want that type of resolution. All of the current monitors downsize to fit this format. UNLESS your shooting 720. 720 pixel to pixel is easy thats why all of the Panasonics monitors are priced a lot lower, however are sharp enought to pull focus quite well. E-cinema has a line of LCD's that are very good color wise as well. Both of these are really post only monitors.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Major Player

We use Marshal, as a director I'm really unhappy with them, but for focussing jobs they're just ok.
just seen a new line: Totevision 7", dont know what it's worth, around $1200 , but like marshal and jvc and most others it's not 1:1 720p, only 800x480

yes, i'd pay $2k for a full-res small lcd monitor.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Major Player

But is 15" small to you? I have not seen a smaller pixel for pixel screen than 15"...
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5
New Boot

If I could find a 15" monitor with the specs in your first post that had battery capability also for $2K, I'd buy 2 of them.

I'm using Marshalls right now and has been pointed out by many here, they are OK. Not bad, not good, but good enough.
Joseph Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Trustee

have you guys looked at this?

http://www.boacinema.com/projects/lcd_monitor/faq.htm

Not full 1080 raster but full at 720 as I mentioned to Kit on the other thread.

Bruce uses it with 1080 HV20 and seems to be happy with the result and look at all of the inputs.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh yeah, I talked to Bruce and I believe he said he was no longer making them. He does have a nice monitor built though. The problem that I see with it is that it does not have HD-SDI. Ours will.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #8
Trustee

I just need it to be small enough like 10.6" to be able to mount it on the camera. Oh, yes, it would be hot with HD-SDI.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software