DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Panasonic CT S1390Y Location Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/11444-panasonic-ct-s1390y-location-monitor.html)

Hugh DiMauro June 30th, 2003 08:29 AM

Panasonic CT S1390Y Location Monitor

Can anybody tell me if he/she has had any experience using the Panasonic CT-S1390Y 13" monitor for location shoots? The stock Canon XL1s viewfinder doesn't give me the accuracy I need for exposure and such. I've finally realized the importance of a decent location monitor for picture quality since I had made a few blunders during my last independent short. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Donald June 30th, 2003 09:36 AM

If I remember correctly this is a 13 inch monitor and fairly bulky, heavy etc. I generally prefer a smaller, 8 inch monitor unless I'm working with a crew to carry the extra support gear. If it's just me, the smaller and lighter the better. Sony has a nice line of small field monitors that fit the bill nicely.

Hugh DiMauro June 30th, 2003 10:03 AM

Thanks Jeff

I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Unfortunately, I was hoping somebody in the DV universe has working experience with that model to advise me if I made a good purchase. I really need a monitor because my next project will be my calling card to the independent film industry.

Jeff Donald June 30th, 2003 10:24 AM

I thought you were asking for purchasing advice on field monitors. I have used that particular Panasonic monitor and others in the CT family. What are you needing help with?

Hugh DiMauro June 30th, 2003 10:39 AM

Jeff:
What is your experience with that particular model, as far as creative control of the picture on location, differences (if any) in quality on the final picture on tape versus the picture on the screen while you taped. In other words, is what you see what you get when you properly calibrate the picture to the XL1s pluge pattern prior to shooting? Is it a quality monitor when paired with the XL1s?

Jeff Donald June 30th, 2003 01:34 PM

The CT series are designed as economical studio monitors. The color accuracy, sharpness, levels, etc are just so, so. They would not be my first choice for a monitor to use to evaluate the scene. They are workable, but I much prefer the smaller Sony's (8000 series) I mentioned in my previous post.

I find the overall lack of sharpness the biggest limitation if you are going to use it to evaluate focus and DOF in your scenes. If you make adjustments to the contrast (may be labeled black level or brightness) you may find a setting that works for setting focus.

Hugh DiMauro July 1st, 2003 06:08 AM

Thanks a million for your input. Unfortunately, budget constraints limit me to that particular model and it's better than no monitor and better than using a regular TV with RCA inputs. After my last movie fiasco with no monitor, at least I'll have a bit more creative control this time around. Thank you for taking the time to advise me.