Recommend a field monitor, please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommend a field monitor, please

I have a fledgling production company and money is tight. I shoot documentaries for the web and broadcast. Due to my writer/producer/journalist background I'm getting good work but trying to gear up -- a side of the business I know little about -- is challenging.

I need a field monitor -- preferably in the $500 range -- that I can use to keep an eye on framing during interviews (I've had some trouble with camera operators). I'm less concerned about color, though I'd like to be able to keep an eye on that as well; we are, at least for the next year or so, shooting SD on a Canon XL2. I like to run as light as possible, so portability is pretty key.

I've been recommended the Sony PVM-8045 8" monitor, which can be found used on Ebay for around the price I'm looking for, but am wondering if there is something more portable (I know nothing about the quality of LCDs and the like) that someone might recommend.

thanks in advance,

Brett
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't respond all at once

After careful consideration of my actual needs v. comfort zone, searching through old threads here, and consultation with some friends in the industry, I went with the Marshall V-R70DP.

B
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software