SDI-equipped HD field monitors for XDCAM HD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I can across this site the other day. Although not up to the specs of the Marshall or Sony, the price is sure right. To bad there is no HDSDI in put.

http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monito...00hd/index.htm

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Telecam Films

The Panasonic BT-LH900AE is expensive but it is a workhorse and pretty much the reference for HD field monitoring. It's compact, rugged and I became addicted to the built in waveform monitor. It is of great help and allows you to maximized your levels, especially on skin tones. We also use the 26" version in the edit room and they both have the same colorimetry. So, what you see in the field is what you get in post.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #18
Telecam Films

As attractive as the Ikan prices are, I would not rate these as production monitors. They are built pretty cheap and do not offer the calibration tools found on professional units. And yes, the missing HD-SDI input is definetly a no go to use with the F350/355. Though, it could be and attractive choice for the F330/335 and people on a budget.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #19
Regular Crew

We use the LMD-9050 as others have mentioned.

had a couple probs with it, with being less than a yr old;

burnt out pixels a couple of times, and a "fan error" .

all covered under warranty, but a hassle to go without for a while.
Ryan Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM   #20
Major Player

If price matters, a HVX shooter came across the idea to build his "own" HD-Monitor (sounds crazy, but he´s eletronics engineer) by searching for the right industry lcd screens and eletronics.

Though I´ve never seen it with my own eyes its worth a consideration - perhaps he can send you a sample?

see www.lsdsgn.com

hmmm... a waveform monitor would be great of course...

Cheers

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:20 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Haycock View Post
Paul,
The "sunbright" one looks OK but as far as I can see it's still a 4:3 screen & the resolution is lower than the Sony one & there doesn't seem to be any specs for the R901DP yet.
I'm off to NAB mid April & will have a look to see what else is available & let you know, if you can wait that long.

Cheers

Clive
Thanks Clive - would appreciate any info you can get - won't be purchasing for a while anyway. Yes, these are 4:3 - they do some 16:9 but the res is the same for the same display area I think. They seem to be limited by general LCD display technology and pixel density.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:29 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
If price matters, a HVX shooter came across the idea to build his "own" HD-Monitor (sounds crazy, but he´s eletronics engineer) by searching for the right industry lcd screens and electronics. see www.lsdsgn.com hmmm... a waveform monitor would be great of course...
That's really interesting - a few design problems though if you want to mount it in a portable case (like the BNC connectors on top!). Prices seem similar to the marshall monitors, so I wonder what you would gain given that I would have thought Marshall have access to better testing of brightness, colour etc...
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #23
Major Player

Paul,
Take a look @ TV logic
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM   #24
New Boot

We also have a Sony LMD-9050 and the one drawback (other than the native 4:3 aspect ratio) is the fan. I don't know about the rest of you guys with this monitor, but when the fan kicks in on ours, it is pretty loud. Loud enough that I have to shut it off during interviews. For that reason alone, we don't take it on any shoot with critical audio. We have Marshalls also that we use in the field and they are OK, but not great. I'm still waiting for a high-res, native 16:9, hdsdi, quiet monitor at a reasonable price. Wishful thinking? I'm beginning to wonder.
Joseph Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #25
New Boot

Apple & Blackmagic

Awkward as it may seem (and it is) wherever I can, I use an Apple 23" Cinema Display with a Blackmagic HD Link.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Liaos View Post
Awkward as it may seem (and it is) wherever I can, I use an Apple 23" Cinema Display with a Blackmagic HD Link.
Good if you're in a studio style setting - i.e. when we do chromakey work in a make-shift studio setting. Not so practical when on the run and doing lots of IV's around a site.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #27
Major Player

I can fully endorse the Sony 9050. We use them in HD-SDi mode with HDCAM and EX1 cameras, and with the Z1 in component mode. Focus problems have gone at a stroke. In the edit suite we have a Panasonic BH1700 that is good enough for non broadcast colour grading.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #28
Major Player

Dennis,
I'm looking at the LVM-071W from Tv Logic - is this the one you have or its predecessor. Are they good enough for critical focus in HD?

Thanks,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Panasonic BT-LH900AE

Hi Thierry. Hope you're well. I am a F350 looking to get a good and reliable field monitor. I believe you using the Panasonic BT-LH900AE, are you using a F350 too? If so what lead (s) do you need to connect it to the Panasonic BT-LH900AE through the hdsi output on the back?

Thanks, Sparky
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software