DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor - Mini Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/116972-dell-ultrasharp-2408wfp-monitor-mini-review.html)

Andy Wilkinson May 2nd, 2008 09:47 AM

Component in on Dell 2408WFP

All I can say is it's certainly "good enough" for me with the Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp monitor and of course it displays at the correct aspect ratio of 16:9. I don't have any experience of the older 2407 so I can't comment on whether or not it's less noisy than that in comparison.

However, I would say that I still prefer watching (raw) HDV stuff using component in from a HDV camera on my larger Samsung HDTV.... but it's certainly OK on the Dell. In truth, I rarely do this though as I tend to just watch finished edits in m2t files on DVD+R's on either. It's nice to know the component in (and all the other connectivity options) are there on the 2408 as, who knows, what I may want/need in the next few years.

Not sure if that really answers your question, maybe someone who has had experience of both can chime in?

Andy Wilkinson May 6th, 2008 11:09 AM

Dell 2408WFP Review on CNET

Just noticed CNET has done a videoclip reviewed of this monitor. See link below

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...5.html?tag=lst

Andy Wilkinson May 12th, 2008 01:20 PM

OK, in the interests of science I've been playing around a bit more with the component input on my Dell 2408WFP.

Bottom line is that it's definitely not as crisp as on my Samsung HDTV (32 inch.) Sure, as I wrote above, it's acceptable and useable. However, it's definitely not got the "wow" factor that HDV (from a Sony HC1 or V1) has on my Samsung. There is a bit too much noise on edges and it looks a little soft. I've tried playing around with sharpness settings in the monitor's menu (my normal default is 50%) but even at 100% it's not anything to get too excited about when fed HD by this input. Mind you, my mate said, "wow that's sharp" first time he saw his V1 footage on it via component....

Next time I borrow my mates V1, I'll try HDMI in from that cam (my HC1 lacks this out) to see if it's just the component that sucks or what.... but wanted to report this so anyone considering this monitor can look at this area specifically and judge for themselves - since as has been said there is not much information on this monitor for us video people. Anyone out there with a 2408WFP....please check this out and comment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great monitor for many, many reasons and I love it/won't be changing it for anything for a long long time but this looks like a potential weakness now I've had time to check it out objectively. Maybe my Samsung is just so blummin good, I don't know?

Michael Maier May 13th, 2008 06:37 AM

I actually had the chance to test it myself and you are right. Component IN looks like poo. I will probably go with the BenQ FP241WZ instead. It has much better reviews and I hear the component is pretty good. But thanks for the update.

Andy Wilkinson May 28th, 2008 08:01 AM

See here for a further more recent discussion on this monitor....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...375#post884375

Andy Wilkinson June 7th, 2008 04:09 PM

Dell 2408WFP - Firmware update/Revision in July 08?

I read somewhere recently that a firmware update is coming for this monitor to address some issues around sharpness etc. (maybe this will fix the naff appearance with component in??) I think it was over on the UK AV Forum but July was mentioned along with the fact that existing owners would have to send their monitors back to Dell to get this firmware revision....I don't like the sound of that - no guarantee you'll get "your own" monitor back I reckon!

Maybe someone who knows all the specific details can post in this thread?

Andy Wilkinson June 18th, 2008 04:31 AM

Dell 2408WFP Firmware Revision Coming July 2008

I found the post (in a thread about the Dell 2408 that's currently 207 posts long on AVForum!). Here's what one guy posted as a response from Dell. Putting it in here so all the info is together on one thread.

If anyone knows more please tell us.

"While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support."

Taken from Dell official.

Andy Wilkinson June 18th, 2008 09:39 AM

Dell 2408 versus Apple Cinema Display

Also, see the very good info in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124025

And below is a link to the monitor colour correction method this guy recommended for the Dell 2408WFP (not tried it myself but he seemed pretty impressed with the outcome!)

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_huey_pro.php

Andy Wilkinson June 19th, 2008 02:08 PM

Dell 2709W

If 24 inches just ain't big enough $1000 bucks stateside will get you the new Dell 27 incher just announced..... why don't we get prices like that here in the UK (no, don't reply, I know why).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...19&sku=2709W3Y

George Kroonder June 19th, 2008 02:52 PM

Hey Andy... The 2709 is £541.00 excl. VAT and shipping (which is free, shipping not VAT), ie about a $1000.

Dell pricing is pretty much set worldwide; not that I'm a huge Dell fan... But that's besides the point.

George/

Andy Wilkinson February 6th, 2009 03:59 PM

Dell 2408WFP Revison A01 on offer

Just resurrecting this old thread as I'm feeling flush (with so much work coming my way recently) that I've just bought a second Dell 2408WFP monitor. I thought hard about the brand new Apple 24 inch Cinema Display but with such limited connectivity, qwerky Apple display port input and most of all a highly refective screen, not to mention the huge price differential to monitors like the Dell it was an easy choice for me to make.

For UK readers, in the end I got it from Dell UK/EU as they have a Feb 2009 promotion on monitors and this one is 20% off (= £440 delivered). I've been watching it's price for several months waiting for the next "offer cycle". Anyway, Dell confirmed on the phone that they only now ship Revison A01 (my original, nearly 1 year old Dell 2408WFP, is Rev A00). I believe they look identical but A01 version has less input lag and some better sharpness control. We'll see.

PCBuyIt also sell this Dell monitor (again Rev A01) for a little less (about £405 currently) but personally I'd rather deal directly with the manufacturer - should there be any problems with it when it arrives early next week.

Marcus Martell February 7th, 2009 05:09 AM

Hey guys, could anybody on this 3d help me in the sinch of theese 2 monitors?I have 2 of them but even if the settings are matching the colors don't appear the same!Any ideas?

Andy Wilkinson February 8th, 2009 02:45 PM

I suggest you calibrate them INDIVIDUALLY using some of the methods outlined in the Sticky at the top of this particular forum page (and linked below). Good luck!

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=7095

Andy Wilkinson February 10th, 2009 11:01 AM

A second Dell 2408WFP arrives!

Well my second Dell 2408WFP arrived today. Side by side with the original I've some serious screen real estate for FCS2 editing from a soon be purchased Mac Pro (I'm eagerly awaiting the next update...rumors suggest only a few weeks away now.... but we'll see). It will also serve as a big screen for FCS2 on my recent MacBookPro (as well as an ageing windows computer which has Vegas 7e running on it).

I can confirm that this A01 looks totally identical to the original A00 version I bought last March, i.e. very nice! Both mine were made in the Czech Republic.

One other thing. The original had a fault in that the second DVI-D input never ever worked (I've been using a get around with the HDMI input and a converter plug) but I now want and need all the connectivity it's got. So I took the opportunity to call Dell technical support this afternoon and they are replacing the original 2408WFP tomorrow (a direct swap, I give the courier my 11 month old one and he/she will give me either a refurb or a brand new one on my doorstep).

That's very good customer service in my book!

I'll spend some time and see if the component input is any better on this new one A01 version than on the original A00 soon (it was not that good with my EX3 plugged into it with 1920x1080p, I think because of lag issues, a bit more watchable with a HC1 plugged in with 1440x1080i). But at least you CAN connect up cameras etc. with component - try doing that on a Apple Cinema Display! The VGA input was also poor on my original but that was no issue for me as I tend to only want to use the digital interfaces anyway.

So for a total outlay of just £870 (£430 last March + £440 now) I've now got lots of space to edit away in and I don't have to watch my own reflection in stereo either! :-)

Andy Wilkinson February 11th, 2009 02:35 PM

Update on the 2408WFP

As promised my 2408WFP swap occurred today and this one has all inputs working as they should. It is a refurbished A00 upgraded to A01 (has a little A01 sticker over the original tag). It's in absolutely PERFECT condition and was again made in the Czech Republic.

However, bizzarly, it has a slightly different stand (to the new A01 that I got a couple of days ago)!!! The stand looks almost identical to a casual glance but is a little thinner gauge and won't allow the panel to be positioned so high - it maxes out with the top of the panel about 1cm lower than the A00 > A01 Refurb (the monitor part itself is totally identical, by the way). Both the monitors are stunning performers, as indeed was the original one (with the non-working DVI-D2 fault that went back to Dell today).

It's cosmetic but I'm pretty tall and I like my monitors as high as they'll go and I'll be onto Dell in the morning to see what now needs to happen to get a stand that absolutely matches the one on my new "real" A01 for this A00 > A01 Refurb. Then I'll be totally happy!

The've been very good so far so I'm sure we can work it all out. Watch this space!

UPDATE 12th Feb:

Spoke to Dell UK and they are sending me another monitor and stand to swap with the A00 > A01 Refurb. in the hope that this will have a stand that exactly matches. There is no guarantee that it will (....apparently, their system does not allow for that level of control) but it's worth the 50:50 chance that it will resolve the issue.

I have to say full marks to Dell. The guy worked pretty hard to try and find a solution that might work out for me ending up totally happy and which would fit within their system of doing things.

Will let you know Monday!