DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor - Mini Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/116972-dell-ultrasharp-2408wfp-monitor-mini-review.html)

Andy Wilkinson March 14th, 2008 08:14 AM

Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor - Mini Review

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd start a new thread for this mini review so it could have the correct title. I'll put a link into the previous thread on the lower spec monitor that developed into a discussion on this specific high spec monitor as well - below;

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116660

Actually, this is more a first impressions thing, I'll probably add more detail at some point when I'm not busy.

My new 24-inch Dell Widescreen Ultrasharp 2408WPF Monitor arrived this morning complete with all the cables you need (including a HDMI cable.) As you unpack it and assemble the panel on the stand you can see that this is a well designed, engineered and quality product. And then you connect it up and turn it on.

One word. Wow!

It definitely has a much warmer/redder hue than I've seen on PC monitors before. No dead/stuck pixels either. However, I know from bitter experience that these can occur at any time - but no worries with this one (due to Dell's superb guarantee on this monitor.)

Anyway, spent a minute ot two getting it to display at the correct 1920x1200 pixel resolution and as my primary panel. Then relegated my previous Dell Ultrasharp 1703FP (i.e. a non-widescreen monitor) to becoming the secondary display. I have to say that for the last 3.5 years I've had high impressions of this 1703 (it was a mid to high end monitor when I bought it in July 2004 along with my Dell PC for editing.) Now though, it's absolutely no match to it's new sister screenwise. I've always liked viewing pictures on it but video was a bit crippled by its 25ms response time spec (but, for me, still enjoyable.)

I then had another surprise. I'd read that this new 2408WPF was exceptionally bright. Sure mine looked very bright and clear. Anyway, went into the (very easy to use) menu functions using the buttons on the lower right rim of the panel and saw that the brightness and contrast were only at 50% in the ex-factory settings. Started turning them up to see the limit.

Another wow!

In the end I left them at 65% - above that the brightness is so stunning it's like staring at the sun. This monitor has one of the most powerful/best backlights I think I've ever seen. Certainly, if you are used to working in a bright room/near big windows (i.e. non-ideal environment) then this stunning brightness/contrast capability would be of great value and justify the price tag on this monitor alone (I paid 430 quid when I ordered it at 4:00AM yesterday.)

Then I played around a bit with the presets (Desktop / Multimedia / Game / sRGB / Warm / Cool / Custom RGB.) This all needs a bit of time on my part but, from first impressions, it looks to me like you could set it up more or less anyway you want. Sure, all you DVInfo professionals will say it's not a studio monitor but that's not what I wanted it for, expected or need (or could afford!) By the way, this monitor can be set to display from a PC or Mac.

Next, looked at some 5 Megapixel digital pictures of my kids; superb warm skin tones, razor sharp clarity and subtleness in colours like in individual strands of their very dark brown/black hair...and, of course, NICE AND BIG!!!

Got a Vegas project up. Again, everything is razor sharp, bright and clear and a bit bigger than I'm used to!! Editing's going to be even more fun now!!!!!!! (even my wife is smiling/laughing/talking to me again now she's seen just how good this screen is!)

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll investigate its capabilities more over the next few days and hopefully add additional/useful information to this thread. If anyone has any specific questions about it I'd be glad to try and help with an answer as and when my time allows.

Posting a quick grab pic below (just to show how this baby looks on a desk really.) In fact, it's already not looking so big now - maybe I should have got a 27 or 30-inch!!! (just kidding!)

Full specs and details on Dell EU site (link below)

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...hs1&sku=147262

Martin Mayer March 14th, 2008 09:24 AM

Andy, have they fixed the aspect ratio bug?

On the 2407WFP, when feeding a widescreen anamorphic video image into any of the analogue composite, component or S-video inputs: the image is scaled to fit the full 1920x1200 screen, which is 16:10 and NOT 16:9 as it should be. The image is thus rather too tall. Circles are displayed as tall ellipses.

Has this been fixed on the 2408?

Andy Wilkinson March 14th, 2008 09:49 AM

typos!

I think I read your mind as you were typing!

This last 30 minutes I was just trying my Sony HC1 into it via the component inputs. Initially, it played at 16:10 but a quick delve into the on-screen menu and display settings (gives you the choice to toggle between 1:1 / Aspect / Fill) and easily got it to 16:9. On Aspect you get the full width of the screen and about 1 cm of black banding top and bottom. I was worried I might only get 3/4 of the width with 1440x1080 HDV but it's absolutely fine on Aspect of course. There's no sound sockets to plug the audio lead into but the video sure looks nice!!!

Then, to check, after I'd watched the HD video I switched inputs back to the DVI for PC use and it automatically goes back to the full 16:10 for computer desktop.

Watching a DVD on it as well gives you the control bars in these narrow areas top and/or bottom and still the full 16:9 video.

Martin Mayer March 14th, 2008 10:14 AM

OK, thanks, Andy. They've obviously changed things: the 2407 Display Settings (on component input) are also "1:1/Aspect/Fill" - but none of them gives the correct 16:9 aspect ratio.

Hopefully, Dell might realise it's just a firmware upgrade to the 2407 one day, but I'm not holding my breath!

Glad the 2408 sounds sorted! "c.1cm of black banding top and bottom" is exactly what I'd expect - it's 1920x1080 (true 16:9) with two black bands of 60 pixels each, top and bottom.

Kajito Nagib March 14th, 2008 12:18 PM

Andy thanks for the review:-)

Mark Keck March 16th, 2008 08:06 AM

Andy, what adjustments are possible for color correction???

Andy Wilkinson March 16th, 2008 02:00 PM

Dell 2408WFP - Colour (Color) Settings Available

Apologies for naff text format below but this is some crude info I've cut and pasted from the the sub-section of the user guide CD that deals with this and then then I've tried to make it make sense.

Basically, although I've not had much time to play with these adjustments yet it seems it's pretty adjustable! I gather sRGB is something to do with emulating the way NTSC displays colour (something about 72%) which might be useful for some. 0 to 100 scale single point custom adjustment of RGB is possible in PC/Mac mode and 0 to 100 scale single point adjustment again for Hue and Saturation is possible when sending video to the monitor.... so I imagine would allow you to get it looking closer to what you might want in either mode (but I'm no expert in this area!)

I'll post more info when I get time later tonight or tomorrow. Hope the stuff below makes some sense. I'm still greatly impressed with this new monitor/very happy!

Brightness adjusts the luminance of the backlight (0 to 100 scale.)

Adjust Brightness first, and then adjust Contrast (0 to 100 scale) only if further adjustment is necessary.

Color Setting mode: Input Color Format for either VGA/DVI-D input or Video Input.

To achieve the different color domain for PC RGB and HD YPbPr (HD YPbPr is suitable for HD video playback over DVI. PC RGB is suitable for normal PC graphics display over DVI).

GRAPHICS (VGA/DVI-D input) from PC or Mac

Desktop Mode

Multimedia Mode

Game Mode

sRGB Mode

Warm Mode

Cool Mode

Custom (R, G, B) i.e. each one 0 to 100 scale.

VIDEO INPUT

For Video Input it can be Gamma or YPbPr

Movie Mode

Game Mode

Sports Mode

Nature Mode

Custom (R, G, B) i.e. each one 0 to 100 scale

Hue (0 to 100 scale)

Saturation (0 to 100 scale)

Mark Keck March 16th, 2008 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info Andy. One more question... What will be your usage... general PC usage or video monitoring??? I'm specifically looking at this for video monitoring and would like it to be cal'ed as close as possible. Problem is that computer LCDs typically don't have the adjustments necessary to get them anywhere close. And I don't have the funds for a real broadcast or studio monitor. Here's the place I here from all those advocating a used 17" BVM from ebay :-)

Mark

Mark Keck March 16th, 2008 05:43 PM

Andy, just found the users guide on dell.com... this is the first computer LCD that I've seen that has hue and sat controls... might just work out fine.

Mark

Andy Wilkinson March 17th, 2008 04:32 AM

Dell 2408WFP Manual Link

Certainly, switching it to Video mode gives more of a blue hue than the warmer/redder hue in Graphics mode, but, as you know/have mentioned you have some adjustment options not normally seen.

My primary use is PC/Graphics (almostly entirely Vegas video editing of HDV) on this particular screen. I do watch videos on it but these are mainly ones I'm working on (and I usually watch the downconverted Std Def DVD files which I render out periodically just to check progress/show to people on my Archos 604wifi or whatever.) I'm now using my second monitor for the previewing whilst editing and can view reasonable resolution settings in Vegas until the projects get complex and then I normally have to take it down to Draft > Best for Preview (Vegas guys and gals will know all about these flexible options).

This is mainly because my current editing PC is 3.5 years old and is not really up to full screen 1920 x 1080 HD video playback without a little stuttering. Some HD resolution DivX movies playback OK on full screen with this new monitor, others don't (not sure why, my Graphics card drivers are up to date and I have tons of RAM etc. - full spec in my profile) and HDV .m2t files (HDV) within Vegas have some stuttering if viewed full screen. Normal DVD's/Std Def MPEG2s look just fine though. However, note that the spec on the refresh rate for this panel is not as fast as some - but just fine for my needs.

Any edited HD videos I'm working on that I wish to watch big screen in HD I tend to dump on one of my many Sandisk U3 4GB USB Flashdrives (or on a DVD+R as a .m2t file.) I then just watch them on my big Samsung HDTV via my Playstation 3 (these are not in my Studio/Home Office but in our main Bedroom). A 24 inch screen for full HD playback is a bit too small, IMHO anyway. The PS3/HDTV system handles/displays my edited HD video files (DivX or .m2t) beautifully without any stuttering at all as you would expect!

One other point, the 2408WFP monitor chucks out quite a lot of heat after it's been on a few hours which could be a good or bad thing depending on your specific working environment/climate! In England this is mostly a good thing!

I'm still grinning ear to ear using all this new screen area I now have!

Link to manual download page below for those that are interested.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...P/en/index.htm

Michael Liebergot March 17th, 2008 10:46 AM

I too would be interested in how the 2408 is in regards to color adjustments.
I currently edit on a 2.66 Quad core Mac Pro in Vegas (via Bootcamp) and FCP (Leopard OSX) on the 2407 and rely on my JVC SD monitor for SD color correction and even downconverted HD to SD preview via Intensity Pro HDMI/Component.

Space is an issue with my work area right now, so I have been looking for a small affordable HD preview option (via HDMI).
And this would fit the bill perfectly if it is configurable enough for color calibration via blue gel.

Some good information here right now though, thank you.

Andy Wilkinson March 18th, 2008 08:16 AM

Dell 2408WFP - tftcentral and monitor blogspot in-depth reviews

More information (some praise and some critism) here and some technical information about the colour performance this monitor can display. For a very in-depth assessment I strongly recommend the detailed "monitortest blogspot review" (which is a further link within this review below - the 1st link I've given below.) Excellent information - in fact so good that I've given you all a direct link to it below (as the 2nd) as well.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2408wfp.htm

http://monitortest.blogspot.com/

I have to say I've NOT seen any of the issues outlined (some appear to be quite isolated anyway) except for the occassional colour banding that is mentioned (and then it's no worse than I've seen on LCD's in general.) The colour banding (on colour gradients) only seems to be with SOME DivX encoded HD videos playing off my one of my HDD's, and certainly not all of my HD DivX videos. I'm no PC expert but I suspect it might mean my graphics card is struggling a little (as these particular videos are sometimes stuttering on my system anyway, maybe?) Certainly, I don't see it on stills. I've also not seen any colour banding (at least not yet) with HDV video played into the monitor from my camera via component (i.e. circumventing the PC/Graphics card) but that might just be the type of material I've viewed so far.

I'm afraid you'll have to form your own opinions until I and others know more but at least you now have the links and can be aware of this and the other niggles that it may or may not have.

Edit: Used it today to screen a selection of 12 MegaPixel still photos with a friend (for getting close to a short list for a charity calander and some postcards we're working on for the local Cathedral.) He was mighty impressed with the screen and it was so easy for us both to work with the images because of this screens size, clarity and wide viewing angle.

Andy Wilkinson March 19th, 2008 07:28 AM

Dell 2408 Rotation

One other thing I've noticed with this monitor is that, in order to rotate it vertically (portrait mode) you have to first tilt it backwards so that the corners don't "ground" with the top of the stand/desk. Others (on various forums) have complained that the USB 2.0/Card reader sockets are then at the top of the monitor and not at the bottom (because it rotates clockwise through 90 degrees) Personally, I think this is better as I would want to unplug these items before turning such a huge screen anyway (don't want to risk damage to the USB sockets with any temporary peripherals still plugged in etc.)

My mate just phoned me to say that the pictures we both selected yesterday look "dim and dark" on his monitor when he views the files. I'm not surprised! I'm still thrilled to bits with this new baby! : - )

Mark Keck March 19th, 2008 07:57 AM

Thanks!!!

Thanks Andy for all the good info and links you've provided. As to the reviews, I've not read anything to make me think differently about the 2408. Some good, some bad... kinda reminds me of life... but overall a good monitor that looks to be what I need (ok.. want :-). No if I can just find a few extra sheckels.

Mark

Michael Maier April 30th, 2008 05:30 PM

Is the vieo mode when using component noisy and low quality as was the case with the prior generation 2407?

Andy Wilkinson May 2nd, 2008 09:47 AM

Component in on Dell 2408WFP

All I can say is it's certainly "good enough" for me with the Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp monitor and of course it displays at the correct aspect ratio of 16:9. I don't have any experience of the older 2407 so I can't comment on whether or not it's less noisy than that in comparison.

However, I would say that I still prefer watching (raw) HDV stuff using component in from a HDV camera on my larger Samsung HDTV.... but it's certainly OK on the Dell. In truth, I rarely do this though as I tend to just watch finished edits in m2t files on DVD+R's on either. It's nice to know the component in (and all the other connectivity options) are there on the 2408 as, who knows, what I may want/need in the next few years.

Not sure if that really answers your question, maybe someone who has had experience of both can chime in?

Andy Wilkinson May 6th, 2008 11:09 AM

Dell 2408WFP Review on CNET

Just noticed CNET has done a videoclip reviewed of this monitor. See link below

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...5.html?tag=lst

Andy Wilkinson May 12th, 2008 01:20 PM

OK, in the interests of science I've been playing around a bit more with the component input on my Dell 2408WFP.

Bottom line is that it's definitely not as crisp as on my Samsung HDTV (32 inch.) Sure, as I wrote above, it's acceptable and useable. However, it's definitely not got the "wow" factor that HDV (from a Sony HC1 or V1) has on my Samsung. There is a bit too much noise on edges and it looks a little soft. I've tried playing around with sharpness settings in the monitor's menu (my normal default is 50%) but even at 100% it's not anything to get too excited about when fed HD by this input. Mind you, my mate said, "wow that's sharp" first time he saw his V1 footage on it via component....

Next time I borrow my mates V1, I'll try HDMI in from that cam (my HC1 lacks this out) to see if it's just the component that sucks or what.... but wanted to report this so anyone considering this monitor can look at this area specifically and judge for themselves - since as has been said there is not much information on this monitor for us video people. Anyone out there with a 2408WFP....please check this out and comment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great monitor for many, many reasons and I love it/won't be changing it for anything for a long long time but this looks like a potential weakness now I've had time to check it out objectively. Maybe my Samsung is just so blummin good, I don't know?

Michael Maier May 13th, 2008 06:37 AM

I actually had the chance to test it myself and you are right. Component IN looks like poo. I will probably go with the BenQ FP241WZ instead. It has much better reviews and I hear the component is pretty good. But thanks for the update.

Andy Wilkinson May 28th, 2008 08:01 AM

See here for a further more recent discussion on this monitor....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...375#post884375

Andy Wilkinson June 7th, 2008 04:09 PM

Dell 2408WFP - Firmware update/Revision in July 08?

I read somewhere recently that a firmware update is coming for this monitor to address some issues around sharpness etc. (maybe this will fix the naff appearance with component in??) I think it was over on the UK AV Forum but July was mentioned along with the fact that existing owners would have to send their monitors back to Dell to get this firmware revision....I don't like the sound of that - no guarantee you'll get "your own" monitor back I reckon!

Maybe someone who knows all the specific details can post in this thread?

Andy Wilkinson June 18th, 2008 04:31 AM

Dell 2408WFP Firmware Revision Coming July 2008

I found the post (in a thread about the Dell 2408 that's currently 207 posts long on AVForum!). Here's what one guy posted as a response from Dell. Putting it in here so all the info is together on one thread.

If anyone knows more please tell us.

"While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support."

Taken from Dell official.

Andy Wilkinson June 18th, 2008 09:39 AM

Dell 2408 versus Apple Cinema Display

Also, see the very good info in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124025

And below is a link to the monitor colour correction method this guy recommended for the Dell 2408WFP (not tried it myself but he seemed pretty impressed with the outcome!)

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_huey_pro.php

Andy Wilkinson June 19th, 2008 02:08 PM

Dell 2709W

If 24 inches just ain't big enough $1000 bucks stateside will get you the new Dell 27 incher just announced..... why don't we get prices like that here in the UK (no, don't reply, I know why).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...19&sku=2709W3Y

George Kroonder June 19th, 2008 02:52 PM

Hey Andy... The 2709 is £541.00 excl. VAT and shipping (which is free, shipping not VAT), ie about a $1000.

Dell pricing is pretty much set worldwide; not that I'm a huge Dell fan... But that's besides the point.

George/

Andy Wilkinson February 6th, 2009 03:59 PM

Dell 2408WFP Revison A01 on offer

Just resurrecting this old thread as I'm feeling flush (with so much work coming my way recently) that I've just bought a second Dell 2408WFP monitor. I thought hard about the brand new Apple 24 inch Cinema Display but with such limited connectivity, qwerky Apple display port input and most of all a highly refective screen, not to mention the huge price differential to monitors like the Dell it was an easy choice for me to make.

For UK readers, in the end I got it from Dell UK/EU as they have a Feb 2009 promotion on monitors and this one is 20% off (= £440 delivered). I've been watching it's price for several months waiting for the next "offer cycle". Anyway, Dell confirmed on the phone that they only now ship Revison A01 (my original, nearly 1 year old Dell 2408WFP, is Rev A00). I believe they look identical but A01 version has less input lag and some better sharpness control. We'll see.

PCBuyIt also sell this Dell monitor (again Rev A01) for a little less (about £405 currently) but personally I'd rather deal directly with the manufacturer - should there be any problems with it when it arrives early next week.

Marcus Martell February 7th, 2009 05:09 AM

Hey guys, could anybody on this 3d help me in the sinch of theese 2 monitors?I have 2 of them but even if the settings are matching the colors don't appear the same!Any ideas?

Andy Wilkinson February 8th, 2009 02:45 PM

I suggest you calibrate them INDIVIDUALLY using some of the methods outlined in the Sticky at the top of this particular forum page (and linked below). Good luck!

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=7095

Andy Wilkinson February 10th, 2009 11:01 AM

A second Dell 2408WFP arrives!

Well my second Dell 2408WFP arrived today. Side by side with the original I've some serious screen real estate for FCS2 editing from a soon be purchased Mac Pro (I'm eagerly awaiting the next update...rumors suggest only a few weeks away now.... but we'll see). It will also serve as a big screen for FCS2 on my recent MacBookPro (as well as an ageing windows computer which has Vegas 7e running on it).

I can confirm that this A01 looks totally identical to the original A00 version I bought last March, i.e. very nice! Both mine were made in the Czech Republic.

One other thing. The original had a fault in that the second DVI-D input never ever worked (I've been using a get around with the HDMI input and a converter plug) but I now want and need all the connectivity it's got. So I took the opportunity to call Dell technical support this afternoon and they are replacing the original 2408WFP tomorrow (a direct swap, I give the courier my 11 month old one and he/she will give me either a refurb or a brand new one on my doorstep).

That's very good customer service in my book!

I'll spend some time and see if the component input is any better on this new one A01 version than on the original A00 soon (it was not that good with my EX3 plugged into it with 1920x1080p, I think because of lag issues, a bit more watchable with a HC1 plugged in with 1440x1080i). But at least you CAN connect up cameras etc. with component - try doing that on a Apple Cinema Display! The VGA input was also poor on my original but that was no issue for me as I tend to only want to use the digital interfaces anyway.

So for a total outlay of just £870 (£430 last March + £440 now) I've now got lots of space to edit away in and I don't have to watch my own reflection in stereo either! :-)

Andy Wilkinson February 11th, 2009 02:35 PM

Update on the 2408WFP

As promised my 2408WFP swap occurred today and this one has all inputs working as they should. It is a refurbished A00 upgraded to A01 (has a little A01 sticker over the original tag). It's in absolutely PERFECT condition and was again made in the Czech Republic.

However, bizzarly, it has a slightly different stand (to the new A01 that I got a couple of days ago)!!! The stand looks almost identical to a casual glance but is a little thinner gauge and won't allow the panel to be positioned so high - it maxes out with the top of the panel about 1cm lower than the A00 > A01 Refurb (the monitor part itself is totally identical, by the way). Both the monitors are stunning performers, as indeed was the original one (with the non-working DVI-D2 fault that went back to Dell today).

It's cosmetic but I'm pretty tall and I like my monitors as high as they'll go and I'll be onto Dell in the morning to see what now needs to happen to get a stand that absolutely matches the one on my new "real" A01 for this A00 > A01 Refurb. Then I'll be totally happy!

The've been very good so far so I'm sure we can work it all out. Watch this space!

UPDATE 12th Feb:

Spoke to Dell UK and they are sending me another monitor and stand to swap with the A00 > A01 Refurb. in the hope that this will have a stand that exactly matches. There is no guarantee that it will (....apparently, their system does not allow for that level of control) but it's worth the 50:50 chance that it will resolve the issue.

I have to say full marks to Dell. The guy worked pretty hard to try and find a solution that might work out for me ending up totally happy and which would fit within their system of doing things.

Will let you know Monday!

Andy Wilkinson February 13th, 2009 06:19 AM

Dell 2408WFP stands now match!

Second "swap" occurred today. I now have a refurbished (but again perfect) A00 > A01 revision 2408WFP with a stand (slightly chunkier / 1 cm higher reaching) that exactly matches the one on the brand new 2408WFP that it sits next to in my editing studio.

This one does not have a A01 sticker over the top of the A00 tag on the back.... but I know it's got A01 firmware as the sharpness settings can be adjusted in increments of 10. Sharpness could only be adjusted in increments of 25 on the original 2408WFPs and there have supposedly been improvements in reducing lag etc. that some gamers apparently wanted - I never had lag issues on my original anyway.

So my "monitor swap gamble" paid off! Thanks to all at Dell UK for arranging this (and I should say at absolutely no charge). You've a very happy customer here!!!!!

Nevin Styre February 20th, 2009 01:42 AM

just ordered myself an ultrasharp, 22"er though not the 24"er(darn economy).
However it's the only 22" LCD on the market that doesn't use a TN panel(as far as I know), the 2209WA(e-ips panel). I've been hearing good things about it, although it only has DVI & VGA unlike the plethora of connections on the 2408.
I'll only be using it for a secondary monitor for my mbp so the limited connectivity isn't really an issue, I'll be using it for cutting on final cut, after effects, & photoshop.
I'll post my impressions a couple days after getting it.

Yang Wen April 16th, 2009 04:22 PM

Hey Andy. thanks for info.

In your picture of the desktop, what is the size of the LCD that's showing the fullscreen preview of the Vegas timeline, and how are you getting a full screen preview of the timeline showing on that second monitor? Thans.

John Gerard May 13th, 2009 02:03 PM

Dell 2407 and 2408 Ultrasharp monitors

Hi all,

Great information and discussion. I originally got the 2407 Monitor over 2 years ago with my Dell 490 computer. At the time I was also using a Dell 17" flatscreen monitor as my second viewing monitor and Premiere Pro 2.0 plus a 13"TV. A few months ago I upgraded to the 2408 screen, PPro CS3 and what a difference compared to the 17" monitor. I don't have any specific specs to report but just having a larger screen that look really great and I love the fact that both my monitors can be used as HD TVs is great. I also have a 13" TV for viewing SD projects. The colors don't match between the 2 24" sceens. Maybe if you work at it you could get it close. I tried adjusting the settings on the monitors for a while and then gave up. Although I knew I was not viewing them in ideal conditions. My project don't need exacting color as long as it looks good. I am creating projects for both HD TVs and Standard TVs even though the output is all recorded on standard DVDs.
Does anyone know if there is a way I can view correctly SD Tube TV setting such as field setting, blening modes, etc. on one of these monitors so I could get rid of the 13" TV for monitoring? I am also using the Blackmagic intensity Pro card. The Monitors both have Composite inputs. Is this all I need to use or is there fundamental differences between a Tube TV and these monitors that will not allow me to do that?

Thanks,

John Gerard

Andy Wilkinson April 18th, 2011 06:46 AM

Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor - Vertical Line Fault

In the last few days my oldest Dell 2408WFP Monitor of the pair I have is displaying a vertical purple line on power up (Actually this monitor is the second swap one for the one I originally bought in March 2008 - see above).

This line is about 3.5 inches in from the right hand side when it wakes from cold - but this line disappears in an instant, with 1-2 minutes as the monitor warms up - so it's something I can easily live with..... assuming it gets no worse! It displays it when running from my Windows 7 box or my Mac Pro and no amount of wiggling cables, light taps on the monitor etc. changes the scenario.

This monitor is 3 years 1 month old - yep, that's 1 month after the warranty ran out!

Never seen anything like this before but a quick google revealed this is a pretty common fault with Dell monitors and that it's apparently not repairable. What I have not been able to establish is how long I'm likely to be able to continue to use it before this line becomes a permenant fixture on this display.... :-(

If anyone with experience of this problem can answer that question I'd love to hear. If I've got a few months or longer, all well and good, but if it's just a few weeks I need to start considering what to replace it with as this line will drive me nuts!

Thanks for any information.

Marcus Martell April 22nd, 2011 08:18 AM

Re: Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor - Mini Review

I would def call Dell customer care! They r the best!Maybe they could give you a new one!

Andy Wilkinson August 27th, 2011 01:21 PM

Re: Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor - Line on Monitor Fault

Well to answer my own question....

The out of warranty, older monitor of my two 2408WFPs has developed nothing worse than showing this line on power up for a few minutes every day. Despite continued intensive use since April (when this fault first occurred) all is well and becomes perfectly normal within 1-2 minutes - as the line disappears by then!

Phew! Long may that continue!