Which is a better color work monitor: SD Sony Trinitron PVM-14L2 or Panny BT-LH1700? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Which is a better color work monitor: SD Sony Trinitron PVM-14L2 or Panny BT-LH1700?

If my target audience is SD DVD, the web, and occasionally Blu Ray distribution, and I'm shooting and editing in only HD (1080 30p or 24p), which would you do and why please?

Keep my present SD Color CRT monitor - a Sony PVM-14L2, which must receive a down-converted SD signal thru third party cards (Analog Component or S-Video), or purchase the Panasonic BT-LH1700 which can receive an HD-SDI signal through the same third party cards?

I like the idea of the BT-LH1700 pulling doing double duty on set as a confidence monitor and then in the edit - a low budget color monitor... But, it's been beaten in my head that CRTs are better for color work.

So, I guess the bigger scope question is, for color work would my SD CRT be better even if it is receiving a down-converted SD analog signal, over the Panny that would be staying not only in the digital realm but also keeping in HD (albeit a downsized 1080 frame)?

Thanks to you all,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're outputting mostly SD work, I'd hang onto the CRT as it will do a really good job of showing SD (proper interlacing, very good color).

2- For HD work, what about getting a 1920x1080 / 1200 monitor in the meantime?

Some NLEs can support a secondary computer display.

Or, get a decklink (or matrox mxo or similar device) and drive a computer LCD.

I don't see much sense in getting a HD monitor that's not 1920x1080 nowadays since lower res monitors will have problems and become obsolete fast (well in a way, they are already obsolete...).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Last edited by Lonnie Bell; April 10th, 2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: combined below
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Sorry Glenn, a little perspective on what I edit with...
FCP Studio2, Dell 2005fpw, Dell 2407wfp, and the Sony PVM presently... and have a beautiful Panasonic 42" 2008 Plasma in the living room for a final end viewer reference...

Third party card will either be AJA or BM, will decide at NAB...

Would prefer an all digital workflow, but was only speculating at whether a SD analog CRT would be better for color work over the BTLH1700 which could stay digital and show me HD...

But if neither are GREAT for color work, then perhaps I should save more clams and get a True Color Production Monitor for HD down the road...

Thanks,
Lonnie
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Glenn, just read your last line more closely...

So, if the non-1080 issue is a deal buster for you on the Panny, then that tells me you are not WOWed by it's ability to look at colors accurately...

thanks for your help... I believe i will wait for a 1080/1200 field monitor that can serve double duty with colors in the edit room - is this within a 3k budget? I'll be looking at NAB...

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software