Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #151
Regular Crew

Nice one Krystian!

I think I can see from the bottom of the player that you're using the option V-Mount battery holder that comes with the cams (at least it came with mine).

I'm kicking myself for not allowing for this when I cut the foam out of my pelican.

I'm surprised that the zebras don't work, thought that would be included in the other superimposed feeds in the viewfinder like tape remaining, shooting mode, audio level etc.

My latest plan is to make a MODIFIED version of the bracket that isn't so long to mount my unit on. If only I knew something about metalworking!

MP
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #152
Major Player

thought I would resurect this thread to let you know that I bought a phillips PET1030/5 portable dvd player from cdiscount UK for a fantastic price (half amazons listed!) and it works brilliantly as a monitor.
I was dubious about being able to focus accurately with the canon xh-a1 using it but you can.
The 10 inch screen folds flat and it has a mounting hole on the back so I should be able to just clamp it to the tripod, it will be mainly used for my jib monitor but if i can get a good clamp who knows...its that good.
I see cdiscount have stopped listing it but if they show up again i might just buy a second one.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #153
Trustee

Thanks for that - is it the same as a PET1030, or does the /5 mean something?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #154
Major Player

not sure what the /5 means Graham, it was listed as the PET1030 but on the player itself it says 1030 /5.
When you consider what is being charged for some of the dedicated monitors(with the same resolution) these dvd players are really good value and with the car cigarette plug adapter I can probably run this off my 12v battery pack i use for my video light if i need more than the 5 hrs you get off the players in built battery.
Once again i cannot recommend these highly enough. If you cant focus with this, a trip to the optician is required.
cheers john
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #155
Major Player

OK, John, your enthusiasm was contagious. I just bought one.

How did you mount it (post a pic or two?)?

Mine should be here next week.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #156
Major Player

Hi Scott, Ive just ordered a tripod clamp similar to this
Amazon.com: Pedco UltraClamp - Clamping System with Camera Mount: Camera & Photo

hoping that this will do the trick, failing that i think velcro will probably do.
The dvd player has a mounting hole on the back that takes a standard tripod plate screw.
I wont get a chance to post pics till next week as im snowed under right now(nearly literally haha), but will try to do so early next week.
hope you are as pleased as I am with the philips, I managed to get out for an hour with the jib and it was great to be able to focus using the lanc on the pan handle and watch the footage. The only thing I need is a sunscreen for the display but Im sure I can improvise one easily enough.
let me know what you think when it arrives.
all the best john.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #157
Regular Crew

Hi,

Can some of the members that already bought the Sony DVD player say how it performs under direct sunlight?

I'm considering the transflective monitors but they cost much more than the Sony's player so I'm wondering what is the best solution for a 35mm adapter focusing monitor.

Thanks
Nelson Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
Ive just ordered a tripod clamp similar to this
Amazon.com: Pedco UltraClamp - Clamping System with Camera Mount: Camera & Photo hoping that this will do the trick, failing that i think velcro will probably do.
This is exactly the clamp I'm using for my DVD monitor hack for my XL2 -- I'll post pictures later.

-- peer
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #159
Major Player

Hi Nelson, the Philips dvd player struggles in bright light however I am in the process of making a sunscreen for it that I can attatch using velcro.

Peer,The ultra clamp has arrived and is fantastic, it screws straight into the back of the dvd player and then clamps to the tripod arm. its very strong and can easily take the weight of the player.
All set to go apart from the weather.
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #160
Major Player

OK, I got the Phillips and the bracket. It mounts just fine off a tripod leg.

What output are you using to feed the DVD player? I'm taking the composite signal out of the HV20. It's softer than expected. Can't see any way to increase the resolution (probably 480i?).

The picture was much sharper when playing a DVD. Can't tell if my expectations were off, or I'm not feeding the correct signal...
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #161
Major Player

Hi, Scott i'm connecting from the BNC output on the XH-A1 so i assume the signal is 576i
Yes the dvd picture is sharper, but I can still focus using the player which is great when im using the jib arm. Im not sure how much better the likes of the Ikans are but at 4 times the price they would have to be somthing special.
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #162
Major Player

OK, I'm finally getting the rig dialed in.

I agree, it's a great bang for the buck, and it'll do the job for composing and focus.

Thanks for posting about it.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #163
Major Player

Phew, glad your happy with it Scott. I would hate to think you bought one on my recommendation and didnt like it.
Im just in the process of making a sunscreen for it, once its finishedI will try to get round to posting a picture of it set up but the weather is just dire.
cheers john
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #164
Regular Crew

Maybe I should have just posted this info here, but here's the thread re: the clamp mount I built for my Sony 820.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...steadicam.html
William James Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #165
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
The only decent one in clarity and contrast was the Insignia 10.2" although its color depth was low in that banding was easily seen in browns. It is obviously better than the Sony FX820 in hand.
Okay, since I've always trusted Gints (ever since his exclusive demo of the SGI pre-Indigo at our lab in 1991) I went ahead and got me an Insignia and hacked it into an external onboard monitor -- here's a silly video of my camera rig, including some other DIY hacks:
YouTube - My big rig camera... and my scalloped guitar... and my workout routine

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software